News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Moving from one coast to the other

Started by REELxMULLINS, July 24, 2021, 12:20:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

REELxMULLINS

I have a 68 R/T that I just removed the engine and transmission out of to start my restoration earlier this year thanks to the pandemic giving me more time at home. Now with work starting back up, I'm accepting a new job position on the east coast for nearly double my pay for half the hours!!!
Other than the 68 R/T, I have a 68 F-250 project, 2 motorcycles (in the bed of the ford), 60 gallon air compressor + ALL my tools and stuff.

Should I pay to have my projects shipped there or should I rent a flat bed and truck? Storage unit for a few years? What are your ideas?

I'm even toying with the idea of dropping the car and truck off at a shop for a full restoration, I just don't really trust any shops since I've always done my own work and hear the horror stories of people getting their cars parted out.

Kern Dog

If you are in California as I am, you will find that renting anything ONE WAY out of this state is far more expensive than it is coming INTO this state. LOTS of people are leaving and companies like U-Haul have been tracking it.
The Wife and I are considering a move as well. I have several cars that will need to be moved. I'm looking at having to hire someone with a multi-car hauler. I've seen 1 ton Diesel trucks with gooseneck trailers that can haul 3 cars. More than that requires a bigger truck. 3-4 days to go across country means overnight Motel fees. It could cost you approx $1500 per car on a multi-car hauler.
I'm looking at relocating a lot of parts as well. I may have to rent a construction site type shipping container and have it delivered, load it myself and have it transported as well. Furniture? Some advise to just discard anything with no sentimental value and just buy new stuff once you're settled.
Good luck!

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: REELxMULLINS on July 24, 2021, 12:20:45 AM
I have a 68 R/T that I just removed the engine and transmission out of to start my restoration earlier this year thanks to the pandemic giving me more time at home. Now with work starting back up, I'm accepting a new job position on the east coast for nearly double my pay for half the hours!!!
Other than the 68 R/T, I have a 68 F-250 project, 2 motorcycles (in the bed of the ford), 60 gallon air compressor + ALL my tools and stuff.

Should I pay to have my projects shipped there or should I rent a flat bed and truck? Storage unit for a few years? What are your ideas?

I'm even toying with the idea of dropping the car and truck off at a shop for a full restoration, I just don't really trust any shops since I've always done my own work and hear the horror stories of people getting their cars parted out.

It shouldn't take you more than a few hours to bolt the engine and transmission back in the '68 for transport.

I'd seriously consider hiring somebody that does this all the time.

You might want to check with this guy:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,81160.0.html

REELxMULLINS

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on July 24, 2021, 03:08:06 PM
Quote from: REELxMULLINS on July 24, 2021, 12:20:45 AM

It shouldn't take you more than a few hours to bolt the engine and transmission back in the '68 for transport.

I'd seriously consider hiring somebody that does this all the time.

You might want to check with this guy:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,81160.0.html

I'll give him a call, Thank you.