News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'68 steering box bind when mounting

Started by 44070dart, July 24, 2021, 05:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

44070dart

We are replacing the steering box in my '68. Everything is fine until you try to get it all the way down. The bolts just bind and you can't get the box the last 1/2 inch down. Has anyone run into this before ? thanks

469 runner

Take the box off and run a thread chaser through the threads in the K member to clean them up.  The original bolts were self tapping and during assembly were run down with power tools often leaving some shrapnel and uneven threads.

44070dart

Will try Monday ...car has fought me all the way, did all front suspension and it has not cooperated at all...thanks

green69rt

Did you do anything to the K-member?  Weld up the seams, etc?

70 sublime

Did you check the holes in the new to you box against the holes in the box you took off to see if they match ??
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

44070dart

Nothing to the K member ..Yeah the bosses are the same diameter and holes are in the same location. I checked with other guys on different sites and they have used this box for their B-bodies. Will try to chase the threads tomorrow and run the bolts down without the box ....thanks guys