News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Federal PS.pump pressure ?? Updated

Started by Highbanked Hauler, July 30, 2021, 11:17:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

I put a rebuilt NAPA steering box in my 68 and the instructions said to make sure the valve end ? the return line end that you have to swap is clear or the box might leak so I blew air through it and it seemed clear. After a couple of minutes running there was a puddle dripping under the box .  IS there any way to adjust the Federal pump pressure to lower it ? thanks .
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

John_Kunkel

Why do you think overpressure is the cause of the leak? Check the hose connections, filler cap and sump interface for leaks.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: John_Kunkel on July 30, 2021, 02:19:52 PM
Why do you think overpressure is the cause of the leak? Check the hose connections, filler cap and sump interface for leaks.
I have to get it up on ramps so I can get under it when running to check for certain but everything looked dry  top side . In the directions what struck me is about the (valve) in the neck of the return line and being sure its open and not plugged ,is there a way to adjust it ? This thing has PIA. headers so its a process to change the box which I don't want to do again . It leaked about a cup full in 10 minutes.  It doesn't leak sitting and not running. If it was an old box I'd try what  b5blue posted but this thing is just out of the box .
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

b5blue

3/4 down the linked page is a blowup of the box and a bit more below pics of the valve. Check the 2 bolts are tight holding that valve down and the return hose clamp. Nothing should be leaking is the return hose new? The headers may have baked the old one.  :scratchchin:
I have had bad luck with A-1 Cardone rebuilt anything and no longer use that brand so check they are not supplier. (If they are it's the box not you!)

Highbanked Hauler

Yes I saw the blow up, the return hose is new. Its a NAPA box so I don't know who does their stuff . This is my 68 and is a collection of parts  and almost everything is rebuilt and that was the first time it moved out of the garage under its own power. :smilielol: I am going to turn it into a science project when I get time as I am still doing body work on it now .
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

b5blue

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on July 30, 2021, 05:46:22 PM

I have to get it up on ramps so I can get under it when running to check for certain but everything looked dry  top side
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Highbanked Hauler

92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Highbanked Hauler

I finally got the car up on stands and a light and the car running and it is dripping like mad so I wrapped a rag around the box and held it and the river stopped . So its coming from the top and left a puddle under it in the garage. It doesn't appear to be leaking from the return line . The valve is held on with 2 bolts which I put new O rings in, so do I do it again with larger O rings ? Is there any other place it can leak ?
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser