News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

white vinyl top question

Started by mopar4don, February 05, 2021, 03:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar4don

I know someone who is selling a legendary white vinyl top. He says it has been in the box for "almost 20 years, feels good the fold lines don't feel bad at all. Part number is:L5X02"

I have a couple of questions

Should I be concerned that because it has been in that box for that long the folds may not come out?

Legendary's web site lists a pearl white vinyl top ONLY sku:VTL5X22.
The guy says it is not pearl but white.

70 sublime

How long is it going to take you to get your car painted and be ready to use it might be a better question ??

How much cheaper than a new one when you are ready does it have to be to make it worth the trouble ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

DAY CLONA

Quote from: mopar4don on February 05, 2021, 03:22:14 PM
I know someone who is selling a legendary white vinyl top. He says it has been in the box for "almost 20 years, feels good the fold lines don't feel bad at all. Part number is:L5X02"

I have a couple of questions

Should I be concerned that because it has been in that box for that long the folds may not come out?

Legendary's web site lists a pearl white vinyl top ONLY sku:VTL5X22.
The guy says it is not pearl but white.

Buy a NEW one, any money you think your saving on a 20+ year old top is not worth it dealing with folds/wrinkles/curls/etc, the same applies to headliners, buy NEW...FYI Pearl white tops are 68-69, bright white are 70 only

Mike

GMP440

Good advice here.  Just buy a new one and install it after you get it.  Same thing happened to me.  Had a Legendary top sitting in the box since 97.  I actually tried ironing out the folds.
    Folds were flattening out , but still needed more work.  That's when I told myself "just by another one".  And, that is what I did.  Got another one and installed it a week later.
    Good decision I made.

Nacho-RT74

Vinyl tops are/must be stretched while being installed and glue will keep it in place, so I wouldn't worry about that.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

hemi-hampton

Worse yet is pulling out Decals out of a box that are all bent up & folded :brickwall:

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on August 04, 2021, 03:29:23 AM
Vinyl tops are/must be stretched while being installed and glue will keep it in place, so I wouldn't worry about that.

been installing all types of automotive roof top fabrics tops for over 30+ yrs, never had to "stretch" a vinyl top to install...... :Twocents:

timmycharger

Quote from: DAY CLONA on August 05, 2021, 08:24:48 AM

been installing all types of automotive roof top fabrics tops for over 30+ yrs, never had to "stretch" a vinyl top to install...... :Twocents:

And you did one on a Charger I am assuming? I recall having to do a lot of pulling of the Legendary top around the C pillars specifically when I did mine. Maybe that is what he meant?  My thumbs/wrists sure do remember!

Nacho-RT74

I can't find any way to install vinyl tops without stretching it specially at C pillar area. Some models could need more, some others less. Any curve will require that.

Even the "horse skinning" article at Mopar Muscle mag I think ( article is gone now ) about how to install a vinyl top talks about that. 2nd gen Charger used on that article.

I have installed 2 times the vinyl top on mine.

Any light stretching job will save the folding lines. No need for a hard stretching job.

In any case, if the money is enough and new pieces are still quality ones sure get a new one will be helpfull.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

CDN72SE

Bought my vinyl top from Legendary about 25+ years ago and was honestly in the box for that long, had it professionally installed two years ago, came out perfect and with no issues.

I did inspect it first though and looked good.

1972 Charger SE

DAY CLONA

Quote from: timmycharger on August 05, 2021, 08:41:14 AM
Quote from: DAY CLONA on August 05, 2021, 08:24:48 AM

And you did one on a Charger I am assuming? I recall having to do a lot of pulling of the Legendary top around the C pillars specifically when I did mine. Maybe that is what he meant?  My thumbs/wrists sure do remember!

Done plenty of Chargers, GTO's, Chevelle's, Cudas, 442, A bodies, and a host of mom and pop sedans, limos, carriage tops, halo tops, landau tops, etc, etc, etc, etc for decades in the shop......never had to "stretch" a top to fit it properly.....

here's my Charger.....

MikeG

Davtona

Quote from: DAY CLONA on February 06, 2021, 02:47:09 PM

FYI Pearl white tops are 68-69, bright white are 70 only

Mike

Well learn something every day. Good info  :2thumbs: