News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MP Oval Track Leaf Springs VS Firm Feel leaf Springs

Started by krigel, August 03, 2021, 12:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krigel

Hi,

I've got Hotchkis leafs on my car. They are now 7 years old, and the drop has been about 2 inches, and probably half an inch since last summer. I like how the car handles, but it's too low now, and all of a sudden I'm having issues with my tires rubbing in places they didn't before.

I'm looking at replacing them with MP Oval Tracks or Firm Feels. The car is a resto mod built for handling.

Please chime in with your experience between these two if you have any.

Thanks,

KR

WHITE AND RED 69

If you are going for a handling spec leaf I'd go with Firm Feel. They can even custom build it with a bit of a drop.

I've had enough with my tires rubbing with the Hotchkis springs, so before I swap out the leaf springs I going to give these hangers a shot. These will let you use another mounting hole to change the height. So I'm going to install mine on the lower mount to see if it will raise the rear enough to stop the rubbing. If not then I'm going to get a new set of leaf springs. Bummer is Firm Feel says the leaf springs are six weeks out from shipping.

http://www.firmfeel.com/b_body_mopar_leaf_spring_hangers.html

1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

HPP

Mopar oval track springs require a special front hanger. They are 1.5 inch shorter than stock so if you use the 2 inch SS hangers, your rear axle will be moved back half an inch. The springs are available in 1" or 0 arch. A zero arch spring will actually look like it is bending backwards when installed and loaded. Additionally, their spring rate is 120#, which is below the Hotchkis springs that are rated at 160#

BTW, anyone offering a Chrysler style oval track spring (Landrum, Afco, Speedway, etc) will be copying the same dimensions as the original Mopar Oval Track units, although many are offered in a variety of rates up to around 200# rate and multiple or single leaf configurations.

Firm Feel does offer their version of the Mopar XHD design spring, which will install with about 2" of arch and has around 140# spring rate. If asked, they may be able to build a custom arch or rate. However, if you are going down that road, you  may want to talk to Landrum Spring about a custom spec.

b5blue

I have Mopar HD rear springs and used the bracket hangers to correct left/right height difference. 6-7 years old and no sag, added an Addco rear sway bar. 0 issues.

krigel

I've also come across a thread on another site where someone flipped the Hotchkis front hanger to lift the car an inch. They had to elongate the bottom holes, but it apparently worked. I may attempt that first. I looked into the MP Oval Tracks at the dealership here, and they were discontinued earlier this year. I would probably get Firm Feel to build a set at around 140 spring rate with 1 inch arch to go with my Hotchkis Torsion Bars and Sway Bars.

cdr

be aware that moving the front spring eye will also change the pinion angle
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr