News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Loud bang, something falling off, and no kickdown anymore

Started by DAmatt, August 07, 2021, 02:25:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DAmatt

Hope somebody can at least point me in the right direction concerning the curious case of my losing the kickdown function...

While cruising, I mashed the gas pedal, the transmission kicked into 1st, but in that instant, I heard a loud bang, and also I heard something metallic hitting the tarmac, and bouncing 2 - 3 times on the road. I looked into the mirror, could not see anything. Since then, I lost any form of kickdown. My trans is a '68, but have bought an A&A valvebody with part throttle kickdown.

Neither the full throttle kickdown works, nor part throttle.

I raised the car, and I can confirm the kickdown linkage is complete, from carb to the transmission.

Anybody have any idea what has happened? What was that thing that fell of, but I could not see? And what can I do to restore my kickdown?

Attached are pics of the kickdown linkage

1968 Charger R/T auto, matching numbers 440 rebuilt to stock specs w/ L2355F .030 pistons & .039 gasket, MP 4452783 cam, stock 4637S Carter AVS rebuilt by Harms automotive feeding a stock 2806178 intake manifold. Air gets into unported 906 heads with hardened seats, and exits through HP manifolds and through an Accurate 2.5 to 2.25 aluminized exhaust to the 2.25 stock chrome tips. Still in awe of what the engineers were able to do more than half a century ago!

b5blue

John_Kunkel

From under the car, can you affirm that the linkage is pushing the trans lever full back when someone manipulates the throttle from inside the car?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

DAmatt

Quote from: b5blue on August 07, 2021, 09:36:25 AM
Go back and find what fell.  :o
I looked while I would still hear it bounce, couldn't see anything. Anyway, it's been a month, so no chance. I waited till I would raise her up, saying that I'll quickly see what fell off.

Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 07, 2021, 01:56:56 PM
From under the car, can you affirm that the linkage is pushing the trans lever full back when someone manipulates the throttle from inside the car?
I can confirm that the small upper lever going into the trans is moving all the way back when my wife presses the throttle all the way to the floor.

I remember feeling a light point of resistence in the pedal beflore the bang, and then just soft pedal travel all thr way. My only dread would be that aomething inside broke. But then, it wouldn't have had a way to bounce off the pavement now, would it?

Am I missing something?

What could that metal flying bit be?
1968 Charger R/T auto, matching numbers 440 rebuilt to stock specs w/ L2355F .030 pistons & .039 gasket, MP 4452783 cam, stock 4637S Carter AVS rebuilt by Harms automotive feeding a stock 2806178 intake manifold. Air gets into unported 906 heads with hardened seats, and exits through HP manifolds and through an Accurate 2.5 to 2.25 aluminized exhaust to the 2.25 stock chrome tips. Still in awe of what the engineers were able to do more than half a century ago!

Kern Dog

As a Carpenter and a gearhead, I have learned that sometimes, two things can happen at the same time and be completely UNrelated.
I've had new parts fail.
I've had old stuff that should fail, keep working.
I've pulled spark plugs out that had almost no electrode left when the engine ran fine.
I've replaced normal appearing spark plugs  with new ones that resulted in the elimination of a misfire.
It is natural to think that the two things are related.
You may have driven over a rock that bounced up and hit the underbody.

DAmatt

Sorry for the thread ressurection, in my defence it's more like waking it from a coma...

*UPDATE*

Took the pan off, and I see metal shavings, and a strange looking metal piece that broke off from somewhere - but the transmission shop took the trans apart, and couldn't see anything broken. Anybidy recognize the piece?

Trans shifts perfectly when in manual, but short shifts up to 3rd as soon as possible, downshifting only when close to a stop.

Would be awesome if anybody would help me solve this mistery

Hemidog

Are you sure it is not a magnet filled with metal residue?

DAmatt

Nope, not magnetic.

It has to do something with the kickdown, from linkage to valvebody. But can't figure out what... looked at another valvebody, from when Nick's garage opened up a 727 from a '69 Charger 500 with the 440... doesn't look like any of the plates on it.

Silly question: I have a '69 1/2 valvebody from a&a trans, but I have the '68 linkage, which I understand is the early style. What happens if you use an early style linkage on a late model trans, i.e. 69 on?

Bronzedodge

Quote from: DAmatt on March 03, 2022, 11:49:31 AM
Sorry for the thread ressurection, in my defence it's more like waking it from a coma...

*UPDATE*

Took the pan off, and I see metal shavings, and a strange looking metal piece that broke off from somewhere - but the transmission shop took the trans apart, and couldn't see anything broken. Anybidy recognize the piece?

Trans shifts perfectly when in manual, but short shifts up to 3rd as soon as possible, downshifting only when close to a stop.

Hard to make out, but it looks cast.  Time to pull and check clearances, do an inspection.
Mopar forever!

John_Kunkel

I'm pretty familiar with the 727 and it doesn't look native to a TF. Dry it off and take more pics from different angles.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.