News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Water pump / electric fan fitment issues

Started by comet_666, August 10, 2021, 09:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

comet_666

I am trying to get my new brushless fan package installed and it ends up hitting the water pump snout, I need 1/2 in of clearance. I am running a stock water pump housing, stock pully and a Milodon 16360 water pump.
Any ideas?

Thanks as always!

armor64

able to offset the fan or shroud any direction to clear sideways instead of forward? we ended up offsetting the fans down on my Baking sheet fan shroud to have the 2 motor nipples in the open spaces in the center of the belts.

comet_666

The fans are pretty big and almost touch each other

b5blue

comet_666

I just measured, looks like the cage is about 1/2 in. thick...  very interesting idea b5blue

Canadian1968

With fans positioned like you have in the picture. The water pump still hits in the center ???

Those must be some really deep fans.  Or maybe you have 3 core rad??? Typically there is a good 3 1/2 " of clearance to the pump nose with a 2 core rad.

I mean if they dont' fit , they don't fit  . I don;t know if i would go cutting up any part of the fan cage / frame. When those fans kick on there is a fair amount of stress created , they are designed that way for a reason. Even more cautious if these are high amp units.

What model exactly are these fans?

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

metallicareload99

Quote from: comet_666 on August 10, 2021, 12:04:21 PM
The fans are pretty big and almost touch each other

Looks like a nice setup. I'm using the Ford Contour fans with a C-body radiator, 440, stock pulleys, aluminum water pump housing, and parts house water pump and I had to grind a 1/2"+ to get the fans installed
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

comet_666

I think i'll have to cut the cage a bit then, saves me having to re align the pully's.

b5blue

That's a sweet setup, do you know amps when they spool up?

green69rt

I had the same problem and it took two steps to get enough clearance.

Step one was to cut the fan bracket down about 3/8" to reduce its dept.  I couldn't take more because the fans need some disance from the rad.  (pic #1.)
Step two was to carve on sthe fan cages.  You have o be very careful because you need to carve out the right stuff to get the fans past the water pump snout duting installation and while running. (pic #2)

I know it looks bad but a little time cleaning it up and it looks ok. Been running like this for a while now with no problems.