News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Last Time?

Started by lloyd3, August 13, 2021, 02:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lloyd3

This truck is 20-years old now. It was looking so decrepit and grungy I'd almost written it off, but...I just bought a new pressure washer here (for a big stain job coming up). My maiden voyage with that new unit was to hose-off this old dirty old Dodge.  It cleaned up enough for me to dig out the buffer and go after it one last time. It needs new headlights so I ordered a pair from Ebag for no money (older can be cheaper, I guess).  If it gives me one more winter, I swear...I'm getting another truck. This time I mean it.

an it.

Kern Dog

The truck looks pretty good to me. Is it all rusty underneath?

My 2007 Has almost 366,000 miles and is mostly original. Rust isn't an issue here. I'm going to swap in another 5.7 when this one goes.

lloyd3

KD: No, there is a little rust starting on the tailgate and on the bottom of the driver's door, and at only 135k, it's actually low miles for it's years.  Everything still works, but 4X4s do age a bit differently than the 2wd stuff (and this one's been used fairly hard at times). Rented a bunch of new trucks 2 winters ago and found that the newer stuff certainly has it's charms. It's also hard to watch it start looking so old (even after several paint corrections and endless wax jobs, it's been my only new vehicle, ever).  It's lots of things....I'll be 64 next January and I've been driving this unit for a long time now. Do I have to drive used-up old crap forever?  I'm always saving and scraping along when I could easily just go buy what I want....I just haven't found anything that I thought would do a better job, at least so-far. Hard to change the habits of a lifetime.  I probably wouldn't buy something new, maybe a few years old and 50k miles(?). Hate to throw a dead elk in a brand new truck.

I'm tired of the same old "grey". And...cracked the windshield fishing last month in Wyoming, blast it.

Kern Dog

The automakers have defaulted to such a bland color for interiors. Gray or black most of the time. The 70s and 80s had reds, blues, greens and browns....Nowadays they are just so boring inside.

Mike DC

QuoteInsert Quote
The automakers have defaulted to such a bland color for interiors. Gray or black most of the time. The 70s and 80s had reds, blues, greens and browns....Nowadays they are just so boring inside.

"Boring" is the initial reaction.  But when you spend 150,000 miles inside a car the louder colors tend to wear on you faster than subdued ones.  And red, green, blue . . . they limit paint compatibility.  And some buyers will reject a car over them.   I have.  

The louder/sharper colors also have practicality drawbacks.  Black looks nice but it gets hotter than donkey balls in the summer.  Black & white both show dirt/grime more than stuff on the gray spectrum.  

Tan/beige is the only 'color' that doesn't clash with half the paint shades, or get too hot, or show dirt easily.  So that one is still around.  

IMO the 21st century has produced some nice exterior paint shades (when you look past the boring majority).  I like some of the modern blues & greens & yellows better than any of the muscle-era ones.  

Even the silver/gray shades today.  Those are completely overused on modern cars.  But if you take them out of that context and spray them on a classic car, you realize they do look great.  

Old Moparz

Your truck looks great for the age.  :cheers:

I'm in a very similar situation with my truck, it's a 2004 and just shy of 130,000 miles. It had some typical Dodge rust issues at the rear wheel lips, tailgate and rear bumper so I had fixed, replaced and painted since the frame and cab were still good. The last 2 years it was costing me a fortune chasing mechanical repairs. Every time I had taken care of "ONE LAST REPAIR" another surfaced.  :lol:

New, and fairly new truck prices are effen' ridiculous so I dumped more money into my truck and bought a low mileage, 2013 Chrysler 300 with a 5.7 to make sure i had something without the constant headaches. I'm keeping my truck and will still do the mechanical repairs but at least I'm not backed into a corner where if it breaks I have to spend all weekend fixing things to get to work on Monday.  :flame:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

HANDM

I have a 97 1500 CC LB and while it rarely gets driven and has its share of dents scratches and interior issues it still runs good and comes in handy when needed.
Granted it's nice to drive my 17 so I'm not driving it except for when I want to be.

I've had it since it was new and it has 140,000 but just because it's old and weathered doesn't mean I don't love it any less. Plus there's still a shit ton of gen 2 rams on the road today so that's gotta tell you something about their popularity.

426HemiChick

Hi Frank and everyone else here,                       15 August 21

All the Rams we see on this thread look great. You might call us biased, but the Rams are the Cat's ass when it comes to Pick-m-Ups. Ours was bought used late last year from a friend's wife. He passed away almost 3 years ago; it sat in the driveway about 5 years as he was no longer able to drive the last 2 years of his life. It had 67K on the clock, now at 70K.

It's a 2009 1500 Laramie QC (wish it were a CC), 6' short bed (wish it were an eight foot dually). We do know what we wish it had would make it a bear to park in the average lot. It's bad enough now the way it is.

We paid $15.5K + $1K sales tax, $4K in repairs (4 new weenies, A/C repair and next up windscreen washer motor). So we have about $20K in it, give or take a few. Does this seem reasonable for the age of it? The body is in great shape as is the paint. The only body work that needs to be done is to repaint the fancy bed cover. The clear has bubbled and peeled off in many areas making the cover look like moth's had a field day.

Personally, I would like to trade it for the largest Ford Transit Van. Problem is finding a new one.

With three pups as traveling companions, the Ram is a bit on the crowded side. One of the great things about the Ram is it's 5.7 Hemi, haven't lost a contest yet.

Take Care Folks.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

lloyd3

Morning Ladies! Trucks simply aren't cheap anymore, with most costing more than a small home in Appalachia. The good news here is that they do tend to last a bit longer than they used to.  At 70k miles you should have a long way to go before needing any major rebuilds. $20k is nothing considering what the new ones go for. I know the quad cabs aren't popular (or available) anymore, but mine has been perfect for how I tend to use a truck. Off road performance has been spectacular(!) and my interior space is more than sufficient for my hunting and fishing adventures (seldom haul more than 3 in it w/gear) and... with the tailgate down, the 6 1/2 foot bed has been more than enough to haul everything I've ever needed it to (I've even slept in it w/a pop-up tent made specifically for that application) and, as you mentioned, the club cabs are rather huge. Much bigger than mine and any inner city use is a royal pain. Parking isn't exactly easy now.

Kern Dog

Quote from: lloyd3 on August 15, 2021, 02:25:19 PM
Morning Ladies! Trucks simply aren't cheap anymore, with most costing more than a small home in Appalachia. The good news here is that they do tend to last a bit longer than they used to.  At 70k miles you should have a long way to go before needing any major rebuilds. $20k is nothing considering what the new ones go for. I know the quad cabs aren't popular (or available) anymore, 

Not sure that I understand you. The "Quad Cab" as I understood was the 4 door with the rear doors slightly smaller than the fronts. There was the Club Cab years ago where there was a seat behind the front but only a small window and no door. The Crew Cab had similar sized doors. The Mega Cab was another animal.
I prefer the regular cab 2 door.

lloyd3

KD: It is a little confusing, my 2001 "quad-cab" has 4 clamshell-type doors, w/the front-opening back ones being smaller than the front, "club cabs" to me are likely a generic description for a four door truck w/all doors opening in the same direction (older Fords and some International club cabs had 3-doors IIRC, & generally w/the with the back doors being a bit smaller). Crew cabs would, I presume, be the next step up in door size (possibly all the same?) and "Mega Cabs" are something else, perhaps described as "just to darn-big"? No parking them at IKEA, eh?

lloyd3

Aero426

Quote from: lloyd3 on August 15, 2021, 05:57:46 PM
KD: It is a little confusing, my 2001 "quad-cab" has 4 clamshell-type doors, w/the front-opening back ones being smaller than the front, "club cabs" to me are likely a generic description for a four door truck w/all doors opening in the same direction (older Fords and some International club cabs had 3-doors IIRC, & generally w/the with the back doors being a bit smaller). Crew cabs would, I presume, be the next step up in door size (possibly all the same?) and "Mega Cabs" are something else, perhaps describes as "just to darn-big"? No parking them at IKEA, eh?

It's so confusing as each manufacturer has their own nomenclature.   

lloyd3

Somewhere in all of this is the term "extended cab", which generally denotes a "not full-sized" back seat. For Dodge, I believe the term "Quad Cab" also evolved later to mean 4-doors opening the same way(?). My truck is arguably the extended cab version (w/the smaller back doors and accordingly,  the smaller (& folding) back seat). True four door trucks are usually much bigger, with full-sized (non-folding) back seats. They have essentially become "family sedans", and at that point the much bigger cab can make the bed too-short for any real utility. Even the wheelbase becomes so long that off-road capabilities are impaired for ground-clearance reasons.  One of my basic motivations for keeping this particular truck for this long is that the newer versions seem less well-adapted to my primary use of a truck, which is as much for hauling and off-road as it is for basic transport.  Because 4-door pickup trucks have become so darn big (& accordingly thirsty, complex, and hard to park) the traditional 2-door truck with it's 8-foot bed is still pretty hard to beat for overall utility.

Kern Dog

That is true in my opinion. A 2 door truck with an 8 foot bed is an excellent work vehicle. I have a '75 Power Wagon in that configuration. MY daily driver is the 2 door Ram 1500 with the standard 6 foot bed. I love that truck though...It performs well for street use and is adequate for construction work to carry my various tools. If I need to haul anything longer than 10 feet, I'll use the Power Wagon with the lumber rack. The PW is nowhere near as comfortable or quiet as the 2007.

I have thought of selling the '75 to get a 1990-2000 era truck in a similar configuration. 2 door, long bed, 4wd. The 72-93 generation of truck was not built for comfort. It has a lot of wind noise and vibration.....a drive in it frazzles the senses after 20-30 minutes. It almost feels like riding in the bed all that time.

lloyd3

KD: I owned a 1967 International Harvester 3/4 ton 4x4 pick up for many years (2 door, 8-foot bed). Used primarily for hauling, towing, and big game hunting, it was easily the most uncomfortable truck I've ever driven over long distances. A 5-speed (w/overdrive!) this truck had an extremely harsh ride (due in-part, I suppose, to that monster 3/4-ton suspension and those big-knuckle Hotchkiss axles up front), it also had bad wind (& other) interior cab noises, anemic windshield wipers and a heavily curved windshield with distorting views. This thing came equipped with split-rims that no-tire shop would work on here (except for one). Long story short... it would pound your sorry butt flat and nearly deafen you by the end of any longer ride.  It was extremely effective off-road, however and was actually very well-made, but... by the late 90s parts were becoming a bitch to find when it ever did need work.  My 2001 Ram replaced it and seemed like a dream to drive in comparison.  However, by today's truck-comfort standards my 2001 is still in the dark ages. Newer trucks are faster, quieter and ride better than many luxury cars. Thus my dilemma.

Kern Dog

I am often amazed in the difference in noise between the two. The 2007 is an Imperial by comparison. Oddly, the newer one, while being a 2 wheel drive short bed, weighs 40 lbs more that the '75 with a long bed, 2 solid axles, a transfer case and a 440! The boxed frame instead of "C" channel, wiring, ABS and sound deadening material must weigh a lot!
I can drive the 2007 for 12 hours and feel better than I do after driving the '75 for 2.

lloyd3

A great $50 eBay fix for 20-year old headlights. I had opacity problems and even water in one set.  Another simple & very affordable fix for this old truck.

426HemiChick

Quote from: lloyd3 on August 16, 2021, 01:16:56 PM
My 2001 Ram replaced it and seemed like a dream to drive in comparison.  However, by today's truck-comfort standards my 2001 is still in the dark ages. Newer trucks are faster, quieter and ride better than many luxury cars. Thus my dilemma.

Hi Lloyd,                     20 August 2021

What dilemma? Stick with the new stuff, buy an extended warranty then drive it for all its worth. When the warranty gets close to expiration, sell it and buy another new one. What I just wrote is predicated upon one having mucho dinero to squander.

Our Ram still needs a few items addressed: Windscreen washer pump, $400.00 + to have it replaced. Headlights crazed from too much time sunbathing. No idea what these things are going to cost. Not going to spend time trying to polish them, haven't got it to spare. The bed cover kind of sux, the clear coat has bubbled and is peeling. Looks like a fungus garden.

Think our Ram is headed for a  sale or trade once the 2022 models are available.

All things considered, it has come in handy and still is, is a pleasure to drive and is fast for a troka. Would still buy it again under the same circumstances.

Take Care.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

lloyd3

Hemichicks: It all boils down to use (& money of course).  Being a refugee from Appalachia (and frugal by nature) when I lay out significant $$$ for something I've usually done a pretty darn serious cost/benefit analysis on the subject.  The new trucks are clearly impressive when viewed through a more-conventional lens. But...the average person doesn't use a truck the way mine occasionally get treated.

My concern is how well the new stuff would stand-up to all that fairly hard use.  This one certainly has, at least so-far.  When I finally slow down (just a little), then maybe it'll be time for a new one.

426HemiChick

Quote from: lloyd3 on August 20, 2021, 02:06:18 PM
Hemichicks: It all boils down to use (& money of course).  Being a refugee from Appalachia (and frugal by nature) when I lay out significant $$$ for something I've usually done a pretty darn serious cost/benefit analysis on the subject.  The new trucks are clearly impressive when viewed through a more-conventional lens. But...the average person doesn't use a truck the way mine occasionally get treated.
My concern is how well the new stuff would stand-up to all that fairly hard use.  This one certainly has, at least so-far.  When I finally slow down (just a little), then maybe it'll be time for a new one.

Hi Lloyd,                  23 August 2021

We're with you, we bought the one we have rather than laying out a bunch of green for a new one that wouldn't do what we need done any better than what we already have. Yes, the gotcha's are a pain but can be lived with. The major issue we need to get corrected is the windscreen washer pump. It's more work than we have time for; we'll have to bite the bullet and get it done before we head out to Phoenix in a couple weeks.

From your photos it's quite obvious you do subject your trokas to rough terrain. Done that and it's fun though it can get expensive replacing broken and twisted components. Like you mentioned, our troka, like many other's, is used more as a car than a truck.

Have fun, enjoy what you are doing and keep her going as long as possible.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

TexasStroker

Cleaned up really well, Lloyd!  If you ever do sell it, let me know.  Not sure if you remember, but awhile back I had a thread on the plenum pan or something after my water pump was heading out and a few core plugs were rotten.

Well...some time later and I'm hoping to get the cooling system reinstalled on a 408 Magnum, lol.  It just sort of snowballed...should probably make a thread, just haven't had time.

Mine is an 01 Off-Road, also a Quad Cab, so I may be a bit partial.  While it has sat in the shop waiting, I feel like I have watched the fog light lenses haze...probably going to upgrade those and the headlights as well.

Imo, the 2nd Gen Ram is still the best looking truck ever made  :coolgleamA:
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

lloyd3

TS: I do remember that. Thank you for the kind words. Well.....you never know. If it comes time I'll get in contact with you (want it to go to a good home).

TexasStroker

Cool deal, thanks! 

They are really solid trucks and pretty easy to maintain.  20 years later and they are still the best looking imo  :coolgleamA:
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!