News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any have 12V car jack?

Started by b5blue, August 19, 2021, 09:32:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

Electric car jack for changing tire. Anyone got/used one?  :scratchchin:  Wondering if they are any good.

Aero426

A quick internet perusal shows several low quality looking jacks made of Chinesium.     What are you trying to lift?   

The jack below looks like a good way to light $100 on fire.   

70 sublime

I think if you do not have enough zip in you to use a normal jack how were you going to get the lug nuts off ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

John_Kunkel

It's not necessarily about body strength, some folks (myself included) don't like bumper jacks.

I got this 2 ton electric for my LX daily driver, works OK but the LX lift points are low to the ground. Be sure the jack's maximum lift will work with your lift points.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144116176795?hash=item218dfe579b:g:vBEAAOSwD7hg8j6W
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

b5blue

Thanks guys just what I was thinking.  :2thumbs:

Mike DC

:Twocents:

The OEMs are doing it right these days.  A factory scissor jack is the best roadside solution.  It barely weighs 10-15 lbs.  It's 100% reliable even if it hasn't been touched in years.  No hydraulic cylinder = no slow-leak problems.    

The bigger ones from truck/SUVs are preferable.  More base stability.  They rise up taller.  

BrianShaughnessy

Those electric jacks seem designed for newer cars with pinch weld jack points.   

I dunno if I'd trust using them as is.    Maybe if they had a rubber foot pad or something to use on a frame member.   

I bought some of the cheap aluminum jacks on sale at Harbor Freight.   
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

426HemiChick

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on August 22, 2021, 08:50:51 AM

I dunno if I'd trust using them as is.    Maybe if they had a rubber foot pad or something to use on a frame member.   

Hi Brian,                15 October 2021

"I bought some of the cheap aluminum jacks on sale at Harbor Freight." And . . . . Do they work?

Better solution and less dangerous: Stay away from dangerous places (we all know where they are), good cell phone/service and a paid up membership with AAA.

For security and peace of mind, a .357 and a .45 ACP as a backup; the more and bigger, the merrier . . . . and the will and ability to use them effectively (the dead are no longer threats) if and when necessary. Better to be found alive with them than dead without.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: 426HemiChick on October 15, 2021, 11:12:10 AM
Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on August 22, 2021, 08:50:51 AM

I dunno if I'd trust using them as is.    Maybe if they had a rubber foot pad or something to use on a frame member.  

Hi Brian,                15 October 2021

"I bought some of the cheap aluminum jacks on sale at Harbor Freight." And . . . . Do they work?

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

Considering I've never had to use it on the side of the road or anything...  sure.    

My only point is that the above pictured 12V jack is for use on a pinch weld.  Old mopars didn't originally use these jacking points.    The factory bumper jacks can't even be trusted to be used if somebody has repro bumpers that probably don't have the hook slots in them... and even then they're a bit lighter than the originals so I wouldn't risk it. If somebody has a line on a electric jack with a rounded pad such as pictured on the HF hydraulic jack below...  show me.

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Birdflu

Quote from: Aero426 on August 19, 2021, 10:04:37 AM

The jack below looks like a good way to light $100 on fire.  

LOL!  :rofl: Or at least your firewall junction block!