News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

can i vent about the younger generation?

Started by Bens340, August 20, 2021, 07:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bens340

So ill be turning 35 in september and i feel like i can start complaining about the younger generation now. (kids in their early 20s). Unfortunatly i currently work with a bunch of younger guys as im currently in land design. i drive my 73 to work (our shop) few times a week if weather allows, and the younger guys always make comments about how unreliable, uhgly, not cool and outdated my charger is. why dont i drive one of my newer vehicles instead? (14" hemi charger-15' hemi ram and a 17' 4-runner.) my charger never left
me stranded in the 7yrs ive owned it. Now i dont drive my charger for anyone else, its for me and i usually dont really like the attention it gets at the gas pump. Im more getting at the fact that what will happen when these kids get older and dont appreciate our older cars? all they seem to care about are brand new higher end cars.. i guess time will tell.
73' charger 340 rallye

Kern Dog

It is a great time in a person's life when they become confident enough to not give a damn what others think.
Yeah, I like it when others compliment my car or truck but that is just a bonus. I drive what I drive for me not to gain the approval of others.
There was a Twilight Zone episode from the 50s where a woman was given plastic surgery and all through the episode, no faces were shown of the patient or the medical staff. In the end, the patient's surgery was deemed a failure.....but she was what we would call extremely pretty while the medical staff was what we would call grotesque. My point? Beauty really is subjective. If I was around a bunch of ugly guys that were confident in themselves, I'd think they were idiots just like they'd think that of me.
Back on topic....
The kids are probably used to seeing classic cars that are poorly maintained or maybe....they are parroting what they have heard from the assclown green planet idiots.
Old cars can be as reliable as a new one.

Fitz73Chrgr

Don't let your coworkers get you down.  There are plenty of younger kids that love old cars.  As much as some people on this site dislike media such as Hoonigan, Donut, and Roadkill, those platforms are keeping the young guys interested.

I would venture to say that there will be fewer and fewer "purists" as time goes on.  I'm the same age as you, and I don't consider myself a "Mopar" guy, although I only own one car that isn't a Mopar.
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

AKcharger

Mopar Nut

My two older son's 18 & 22 love our 50 year old Charger.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

b5blue

Most likely they are just busting your chops.

Mike DC

QuoteMost likely they are just busting your chops.

:iagree:

lloyd3

"Assclown green-planet idiots" about covers it. I'm trying to buy some stain to re-do my cedar-sided house. Somehow the stain I've used for the last 30-years is now no longer made because of these dipwads. God help us.

Bens340

people have their own opinions, not that i agree with them, but thats whats supposed to make this country great. either way im going to keep driving my out dated smelly ole
dodge and rolling my eyes at the youngsters haha.
73' charger 340 rallye

RallyeMike

QuoteSo ill be turning 35 in september and i feel like i can start complaining about the younger generation now.

The average age on this site is probably 50+. We are all griping about the 35 year olds  :lol:

... and our parents were questioning us.

... and so it goes on.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Aero426

John_Kunkel

When they start raggin' on your "old car", rag on their cookie-cutter rides with equal verve.

Tit-for-tat.  :fu:
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Back N Black

Its not only the younger generation, I have friends and family my age group (50 something) that have no interest and shake their head at me when they see my cars or listen to me talk about cars.

Kern Dog

hemi-hampton

I don't think they are busting his chops if that means teasing him, I think they are serious. Maybe what he's really getting at is in 30 years when us old timers are all dead who then will want these cars or collect them? not these new kids or the even newer kids. nobody will want them :scratchchin: :shruggy:

Mike DC

Muscle car guys:  "All these cars are overpriced and selling overseas and getting out of our reach forever!"  

Also muscle car guys:  "Younger people don't care about our cars!  The hobby will be gone in a few years!"  

white

Took my 69 charger for ride around the neighborhood to test out a new carburetor and in my mirror was a kid on a dirt bike, he pulled next to me and said "is that a 69 charger" ? I said yes! How old are you?, 14 years old sir. We talked a little while at the stop sign, then I had head back. He told me when gets a job he is going to buy a charger. So it appears that the younger generation knows what these cars are, but not sure if they will have the money buy them in 10-15 years from now if demand stays steady, Or they buy a newer car that's cooler than a old charger.

BrianShaughnessy

I rarely drive either car to work but on the odd occasion I do, I only get unwanted attention and compliments...  :shruggy:

Some people understand the labor of love it is...    some swear if THEY had one,  they'd drive it every day and beat the snot out of it.

I just try to park it in the back corner of the lot and hope some idiots don't mess with it. 
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

aerolith

Gen THREE Chargers are a 'marmite' car indeed!

Folks only 'diss' cars they can't own themselves, especially the 'cool kids'...

I had one in the late 80's drove it everywhere, but I keep getting it stuck in the UK 'width restrictors' at 6 feet 6 inches wide... :brickwall:
There was one at the end of my road about ten yards from the corner and it was always getting me in trouble.

Then one late night about 1am in the morning I lost a rear wheel on the Freeway, on the way back from league 'tenpin'...
Didn't have any tools or jack with me, so I thumbed a lift home about 5 miles and by the time I got back it was on a 'flatbed'!
The guy had been called by the police to remove it, as there was no hard shoulder...

I was so gutted, but the 'pick-up' guy was a cool dude indeed, he owned a Mustang and dropped it back off for me.
What a stroke of luck indeed, he had opened the trunk and fitted the spare 'in my absence', wow. :scratchchin:
Then he let me off with a crisp 'ten pound note' and said the recovery was £150 otherwise... :cheers:

Sold the car that very week, as I felt my luck was running out...

Deffo TOO big for London Town UK and sure got some looks from folks even back them! :notworthy:
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

aerolith

Got a Gen TWO Charger story as well for you!

A few years after I had the Gen Three, I lucked into a 68 R/T, daily driver (1989).

There was a young lad at work who always made nasty and rude comments about it 'cos it was a bit tatty'... :slap:
It was mostly when he was around his 'COOL mates'!

Then one day totally out of the blue he says ''Can I buy your Charger''?
So I just said, ''its way out of your price range fella, at £5000''.
He then just walked away as I expected... :icon_smile_big:

Next day he comes up to me with a brown envelope with £5000 inside... :scratchchin:
''There we are'', he says, so I thought he was calling my bluff, NOPE?
So I waited for him to say, ''only joking'' when he asks me to drive it to his house for him!
''Why is that'', I ask?
''Because I'm only 17 and don't have a driving licence yet''... :rotz:
WoW, is this kid for REAL???

So the next year he gets his full licence and somehow gets insurance and is driving it around London town.
But he said its a 'bit tatty' and needs a repaint, that was in 1990 and the car is still in his garage!!!

He is all grown up now with three kids and two Chargers and never drives them... :slap:

Oh well, at least he still has them and isn't damaging the environment... :pity: :pity: :pity:
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

70B5Cuda

The faster you learn to ignore the negative feedback, the better off you will be. I can appreciate an original Charger/Mopar but I gravitate toward restomods....so I get all kinds of haters. When people compliment my car(s) or want to talk about it, I'm happy to do talk. When people hate/criticize/question my judgment, I take joy in responding with..."Well, I guess its a good thing this isn't your Charger then, right?"....or "When your name is on the title, then you get to make your own grown up decisions". I just don't have time to care if someone doesn't like something about my cars.

Bottom line...figure out how to not let it bother you. Life will be a lot more enjoyable!
1968 Roadrunner-6.1L, 6 speed, 3.91 Getrag, IRS
1968 Charger- 6.1L, TR-6060, 9"
1968 Charger in RR1 "Ribeye"
1969 Charger in EW1 "S'more"
1969 Charger Survivor-R6, 383, 727.....WRECKED
1970 Barracuda-6.1L, 6 speed, 4.10 S60

c00nhunterjoe

I think without arguement, the most well known charger is the general lee. That said, many kids in my kids school have never heard of it and look at it funny for the paint scheme. My daughter's boyfriend has never heard of the show or seen the car before. (20 years old). Everybody wants fast and furious and "NAS"

Mike DC

QuoteI think without arguement, the most well known charger is the general lee. That said, many kids in my kids school have never heard of it and look at it funny for the paint scheme. My daughter's boyfriend has never heard of the show or seen the car before. (20 years old). Everybody wants fast and furious and "NAS"

Fast & Furious#1 is now 20 years old.  Whoa.  It came out in 2001.  

The beginning of 'Dukes' and their last TV reunion movie were only separated by 20 years.  

ACUDANUT

You are the younger generation... I am glad you are into older cars. Kids these days are all about Jap cars and anti American.  Sad.

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on August 25, 2021, 08:43:42 AM

QuoteI think without arguement, the most well known charger is the general lee. That said, many kids in my kids school have never heard of it and look at it funny for the paint scheme. My daughter's boyfriend has never heard of the show or seen the car before. (20 years old). Everybody wants fast and furious and "NAS"

Fast & Furious#1 is now 20 years old.  Whoa.  It came out in 2001.  

The beginning of 'Dukes' and their last TV reunion movie were only separated by 20 years.  

Dukes movie was 2005.  It renewed interest in the show for a time.    It shows up on cable every so often.   It wasn't a super blockbuster but it did decent business at the time.   That was still about 15 years ago.
Still,  every new F&F movie features a custom 2nd gen for the most part....  even if it gets wrecked.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Mike DC

QuoteDukes movie was 2005.  It renewed interest in the show for a time.    It shows up on cable every so often.   It wasn't a super blockbuster but it did decent business at the time.   That was still about 15 years ago.
Still,  every new F&F movie features a custom 2nd gen for the most part....  even if it gets wrecked.

Yeah, the DOH remake was 2005.  They made another TV movie in 2007 that was worse & quickly discarded.  

DOH is a dead franchise at this point.  The Confederacy elements have made the show radioactive.   Warner Bros cannot keep that stuff anymore.  But the existing fans will reject any new remakes without it.  It's a no-win situation for the studio so they quit playing.

F&F wrecks Chargers but they wreck everything else too.  It's common for them to buy 200+ cars/trucks for a single movie now.  Most are junk when filming ends.  

TexasStroker

There is good and bad in all generations...

Your next job might have 20 somethings that won't shut up about how great your Charger is and why you don't drive it every day.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

BSB67

Hmmmm.

My dad was into cars.   Mostly from the 1940s.  I really don't care much about cars from the 1940s.  Why would you think twenty somethings would be into your 50 year old cars from the 1960s/70s?

I have three kids in their 20's.  Not only are they not into my cars, they are not into any cars.  I'm kinda thankful.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

MoParJW

Probably less younger people are choosing to get into the car hobby because of the easily accessible ''social media'' & gaming world, and then there is the cost etc..

I still get frequent compliments from young kids (boys and girls) ''nice car sir!'' and I drive a four door  :shruggy:, these cars were well designed, optically anyways.
'68 Plymouth Satellite sedan 318

Dano 1

I'm 32 and I thought I still was the 'younger generation' damn...

I will say the first show I brought my Charger too, a local cars & coffee, I had more young people (teenager/early 20's) come up and talk to me about the car than older folks. Some of that could have been due to the younger nature of the crowd/event but still I thought it was great to see such interest from the younger kids. A lot of them didn't really know what the car was but they asked really intelligent questions and actually listened which was pretty refreshing.
1969 Charger 383 2bbl, R4 red, White hat special project

Check out my website for 3D printed restoration parts and accessories.
www.nextgendesignsnc.com

green69rt

Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 21, 2021, 03:21:07 PM
When they start raggin' on your "old car", rag on their cookie-cutter rides with equal verve.

Tit-for-tat.  :fu:

Cookie-cutter cars is only one reason I like old cars.  I've noticed for years that you can line up a Toyota, Honda, Chevy, Ford, and others.  If they didn't have a brand badge on them, they can be hard to tell apart.  Same body shape, same tail lights, etc,etc,etc.  Sometimes they are actually the same because some Manufacturers buy cars from one guy, switch badges and sell it as their own.  Remember the Ford ranger and the Mazda Bxxxx trucks?

VegasCharger