News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

UK Wingcars in Memory lane

Started by aerolith, August 24, 2021, 05:46:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aerolith

Just found a great pic of the 'Brighton Run' 1983 in the UK!

I took my first Mopar there, a 1969 Plymouth Barracuda RHD convertible...(38 years ago) :pity:

I had seen several Wingcars around the UK in the late 70's and early 80's.

Alan Gould's Superbird was near my house in London Town in the late 70's, (middle pic) truly remarkable at that time... :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

The Birdie in the foreground on a 'Q Plate' was re-registered as MFL 197H and was in fact a very rare Petty Blue 999 code Birdie (I think?)... :icon_smile_big:

Five spoke 'Daisy Mags' were all the rage back then!

Still one of my favourite wheels... :2thumbs:
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

aerolith

Also saw this mystery 'air-grabber' bird?

My car is in the background, not really in the same league an 'English Ford' (next to a Winger) :slap:...

Now without Air Grabber PLR 440...?
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

nascarxx29

The orange superbird had carsten printed  on the side I think
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

aerolith

MFL when Pete owned it. (my memory ain't so good now)

Some guys on this site are very 'upset' that TOO many Mopars were in Europe and elsewhere!
But some others said that ''Container ships go BOTH ways'' lol... ::)

I heard a great story about a Black Daytona, back some twenty years ago.
I think RPM shipped it to the UK for Carlos M. and it was 'sold back' to an American buyer, before it even landed in the UK, DOH... :patriot: :patriot: :patriot:

We are only 'custodians' of these wonderful cars in our care... :pity: :pity: :pity:
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

mozz at rpm

The black Daytona came to England and was here as part of the Monteverde collection for a number of years. It was sold around 2014 to Tom Lembeck in Chicago. Well known car, genuine four speed Hemi, black with a white interior. Car was bought new by Henry Watkins jnr who was only seventeen at the time. The car has a continuous history and some interesting paperwork including the broadcast sheet. Rare Performance Motors purchased the Daytona from Greg Joseph in California and bought it to the UK around 2000.

aerolith

Many thanx for the update Mozz!

Carlos certainly bought some wonderful cars over in the early 2000's!

I remember seeing this B5 Birdie at Goodwood, totally 'Blue me away' lol... :D :D :D
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

aerolith

I had a 70 GTX 'burnt orange' needing a resto, (at that time) so I was going to do a 'Carlos B5 hemi Clone'!

Glad I didn't now as Darren beat me to it with his GTX... :slap: (heard he regrets it now)?

Burnt orange Superbird would have been 'very unusual' though?
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

mozz at rpm

Hi Aerolith (John)
That blue Superbird was super nice, another Hemi four speed car. From memory it was very low miles as well. I remember driving that car across the Sussex Downs to Goodwood early one morning on a beautiful summers day with hardly any traffic on the roads. That was special ! The car was bought in Missouri and shipped to the UK although it is now back in the US. I need to change the user name, Mozz (Maurice) is my brother.
All the best
Martin @ RPM

aerolith

You are ONE lucky guy Martin!!! :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

I had not driven any hemi cars myself (in the UK) until I went to California and met Julius!
He knew I was a ''hemi virgin' so let me drive several of his cars around the streets of San Fernando Valley.

The coolest being a 'one owner' Hemi 67 GTX, Triple Black four speed!!!
I felt like the King of the valley for a few hours lol...
I imagined being there in the 60's and going to a drive through or diner... :2thumbs:

My Moparmate also let me drive his No.22 Rossi Replica, 426ci Daytona clone in the Valley.
It was so fast I crapped my pants lol...

Great times indeed and this was one proud Limey...
Many thanx to Julius and Peter, my forever Valley-Pals for taking me 'under their WING' lol... :notworthy:
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

aerolith

I heard that Carlos had also bought himself a Hemi C-500 too.

White with red interior, or is this another 'mixed-up memory'???

Found this lovely Daytona picture at Brooklands as well.

White Wingcars and White Charger 500's are really 'growing on me' with 'poverty caps' (like ROSES)... :dance: :dance: :dance:

I would call this ''old English White'' unlike the 71 Bright 'fridge' white. :spank: :spank: :spank:

Got to be a 'RED stripe' for me though... :flame:
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

mozz at rpm

Yes, Carlos did own a White, black interior Hemi Charger 500 auto.We (Peter Jordan and myself) bought it on his behalf in Michigan, probably in the late nineties early 2000s. Again really nice car that came to the UK but is now back in the States. I did see it come up for auction a few years back where it sold for not a lot of money for a Hemi car, if I remember rightly around $150k ?
The white Daytona clone at Brooklands belonged to Peter Jordan, his dream car, sadly he didn't get that much time to enjoy it before he passed away. There was a big build thread on that car, beautifully done with a strong Hemi fitted from For Hemis Only. The car is still in the UK and belongs to Andy Robinson.
Martin @ RPM.

DonC1

Quote from: aerolith on August 24, 2021, 05:49:57 AM

My car is in the background, not really in the same league an 'English Ford' (next to a Winger) :slap:...

Any known ' history ' on this Bird?

aerolith

OMG Martin.

I knew about Peter's sad death, but not about the beautiful Daytona clone!
I will find out the 'back story' on this build.

I was over at Marshall-Dickson's place (near me) in Kent and we was 'reminiscing' about my 1970 GTX. (Dec 2002)
Tony had imported it back in the 80's along with JC's Superbird!

It was a few weeks before Christmas '02 and I was picking up parts for my race-car.
I told him I was thinking of doing a Superbird clone (with the GTX) and he said ''just fly over and buy a real one''! :popcrn:

He had been feeling unwell and was 'off to the hospital' that day, for a check-up...
Think he only just 'made it there' as he was 'more ill' than anyone knew... :shruggy:
He didn't even make Christmas, we were all very shocked as you can imagine... :angel: :angel: :angel:

So I sold the race-car in 2003 and FLEW OVER to California in 2004 and found a Charger 500... :2thumbs:

Thank you Tony for the 'wise words'... :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

The 'GOOD OLD DAYS' in the UK, Superbirds, parked on every street lol :patriot: :notworthy: :drive:

The red Birdie is the ex Tony Dickson and the black Birdie is now the B5 Blue one (I think)
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

hemi68charger

Quote from: aerolith on August 24, 2021, 11:21:41 AM
MFL when Pete owned it. (my memory ain't so good now)

There's my Daytona.. :-)
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hemi68charger

Here's my Daytona when Pete W. owned it... At Brooklands....... The world's first built-for-purpose race track......
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

mozz at rpm

Hi Don
Reference the yellow Bird with the air grabber hood. That car has been in the UK for around forty years and was owned by a chap called Dave Melbourne. Somebody modified an air grabber hood from a scrapped 70 Roadrunner and fitted it to the bird. I know the car well, in fact Pete Jordan and I took the air grabber hood off for Dave Melbourne and fitted an original hood at Dave's request. The air grabber hood was put up for sale and Pete and I crated it up and shipped it to the States where I believe it was fitted to another bird, this all happened around 25-30 years ago. It's a bench seat, 440-4 barrel, four speed car, registration number PLR 440 and is believed to be matching numbers. I do recall the fender tag was missing, probably lost when the car was painted in the eighties. Believe it or not Galen Govier has seen the car around 1998 and was going to authenticate it so a reproduction fender tag could be made but I don't believe this happened. Galen was in the UK at the time looking at another car. Owing to bereavement the car was put up for sale at Anglia Car Auctions in Kings Lynn on the 21st October 2020 but didn't reach it's reserve. Hope this helps.
Regards
Martin @ RPM.

moparstuart

Quote from: aerolith on August 24, 2021, 05:49:57 AM

l love the yellow bird with the air grabber   , if the hood shipper to the states i wonder if that hood ended up on Milts car that burnt  ?  It was the inspiration for me to build my hood  .
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

DonC1

Thanks for the info Mozz.
Stuart I was thinking that exact thought about Milt's bird-

aerolith

Or this one in San Fernando?

Think the guy was called Randy?

I did a lot of work on this car as the 'new' nose-cone was a MARE!

Black cars always give me the 'Colly-wobbles' (Aussie slang)
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

aerolith

MFL and an unknown Hemi Daytona leaving for warmer climes!

(I told them 'angry peeps' the ferry goes both ways)... :pity: :pity: :pity:
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

aerolith

Got to LOVE an ORANGE BIRDIE!
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

aerolith

One wild paint scheme!

Certainly looks like the UK, ever seen this Birdie???

It seems to me that most UK Superbird owners were 'car-painters' by day and Mopar fanatics at night!
That's why it was hard to 'keep up' with Superbirds and their current/past guises?

Found some more that I 'sort of' remember...

Another Birdie picture with my 'English Ford' in the background lol (MK-1 Cortina).

IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

aerolith

I think Alan Gould's Green birdie was up for sale in 1984 for £5000?

No one wanted it back then and I didn't know it was sale at that time 'boohoo', so Tony Oksien (RIP) paid him £3,800 for it? (bargain)

Most folks back then thought it was a KIT-CAR or a CLONE!
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

DonC1

Quote from: aerolith on August 28, 2021, 03:03:20 AM
Or this one in San Fernando?

Think the guy was called Randy?

I did a lot of work on this car as the 'new' nose-cone was a MARE!

Black cars always give me the 'Colly-wobbles' (Aussie slang)

Great pics Aero! That's Rand's bird.
Small world...Peter J lent me his Daytona molds years ago. Incredibly well made, and used for the race clone and joe dirts clone and others.
I was in the UK for a spell in the mid 70's, was never fortunate enough to see any wing cars back then..only the occasional chevy.

aerolith

Thanx for the kind words Don!

Saw this one day on the way to a UK Mopar MEET probably Brighton!!! :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: :patriot: (mid 80's)

4 Superbirds 'all in a row' lol...

Not my picture, taken from inside one of the Birds!

Possibly Alan, Andy, Big John and Stuart, the Plymouth 'POSSE' terrorising the roads of Surrey lol... :notworthy:

If that don't, 'bring a tear to your eye' then you is either a Chevy guy or very weird indeed... :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623