News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

UK Wingcars in Memory lane

Started by aerolith, August 24, 2021, 05:46:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aerolith

Saw this at the POD a few times, very nice indeed!
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

aerolith

There have been several Birdies flying over and back again in recent years.

Not sure what the 'real' total is, some say seven was the most, at any one time?

Some 'clones' have been built and some 70 runners and 70 GTX's have been 'uncloned'... :scratchchin:

Always a 'great sight' on the drag strip... :drive: :drive: :drive:

Nine second 'street cars' and a six second 'Voodoo Bird'.
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

aerolith

A few more I'm not sure about?

OOPS the files are protected?
Must be 'stealth Birdies' working for the Feds... :2thumbs: :shruggy: :coolgleamA:
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

aerolith

APR building a birdie...

Problem is they is ALL whites ones OOP NORF, so I can't tell which ones are which??? :shruggy: :slap: :smilielol:
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

aerolith

NICE!

Looks like UK with all the sheep, grass and a soccer net (football goal) plus wonky 'dog-poo-bin' lol :icon_smile_blackeye: ::) :eyes:!
Never seen this car and still on USA plates... :scratchchin:
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

aerolith

Time machine wanted in any condition please!

Only has to work for a pre-set date of 1970 California... :patriot: :pigsfly:
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

aerolith

Texas Big Bird up for sale in the UK (Europe)

Folks just don't get Wingcars even NOW!!! :slap:

Some of the comments on 'A-bods only' are 'disgraceful' to say the least!!! :'( :'( :'(

A bit tricky if you have to run in the LEFT Lane... :RantExplode: :RantExplode: :RantExplode: (what tree)
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

aerolith

Here is a much nicer UK Birdie story indeed... :pity: :pity: :pity:

Saw one and bought it 'TUX 133H' Birdie!!! :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

Wish he was MY (long lost) DAD! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

(Sorry Step-dad, I know you would have bought us one too, if the cancer hadn't have got to you first, RIP and boohoo) :angel: :angel: :angel:
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

aerolith

Secret shoot?

Lots of nice Birdie pictures of the Northern Clones, but you have to 'pay to view'...

Still its so nice to see folks are still building this iconic Plymouth, even now!!! (in the UK):cheers: :2thumbs: :patriot:

Nine second HEMI Superbirds, wow I am seriously shocked and in total awe... :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

aerolith

Still my favourite Birdie after ALL these years!

Nearly 40 years ago and still brings a tear to my eye! :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

Air grabbers were 'all the rage' back then?
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

aerolith

Hope you all enjoyed my 'trip down' UK memory lane?

Superbirds were always a part of the Mopar scene in London Town in the 80's.

Kings Road, Battersea, Trinity road, 'aka the CUT' and most Saturdays somewhere!
The glorious days of street driven Superbirds, but very few Daytona'ers if any?

Bob Brown's 'yellow terror' Daytona was always being drag raced, from 'Detling to York' for 30 years or more!

I like many others 'implored him' to STOP!
The thought of such a rare car being rolled or slammed into a guard rail gave me Nightmares... :RantExplode:

So I approached our wonderful guru that is/was Tony 'O' for a solution?
He said that Bob was never gonna sell, as the price was always too high for any prospective buyer!
Bob would never set a price and if you gave a price, it was 'not enough'.

So I thought that 'we the MMA-UK' should start a fund and purchase the Daytona for Posterity... :pity:
It was laughed 'out of the court' and dismissed as 'total madness'... :dance: :dance: :dance:
(I think the plan was ''everyone interested, donates a £1000 for a 100th share' in the purchase/restoration of a 'CLUB' Daytona!) :coocoo: :coocoo: :coocoo:

Thats when I gave up all hope of ever purchasing the longest and rarest UK Wingcar of all, even a 100th share.. :'( :'( :'(.

So sad for us Limeys and a lifelong yearning to be a UK Winger was finally gone... :flush:

Oh well, should have bought a Superbird (Cheap as Chips) and never set your 'sights too high'... :slap:
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

held1823

thanks for taking us along on the trip down memory lane
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

aerolith

My pleasure HELD!

I'm not an expert or a member of the MMA anymore (long story).
After shipping 'back' over the 'Troy' Daytona and the Petty Bird, things went a bit 'pear shaped'... :-\

MFL arrived in England with a bad purchase agreement and left with one too... :spank:

I put my reputation on the line an overseas Wingcar officionado, 'for Julius' and then was totally 'found out'! :poke:
It appears my knowledge was rather limited, when giving an appraisal for $250,000 worth of Mopar's finest.

To me, just having two of the rarest Mopar's complete and 'running' was a 'sight to behold' in the UK!
But this was a business deal and I was 'overawed' by their magnificence and wonderment.

Anyways, Julius was very forgiving and TEN years on, we is all 'mates again' I think? :rotz:

Lesson learnt for me, stick with the easy stuff 318 Dodge Darts and Plymouth Scamps... :iamwithstupid:

I was 'on the list' for the purchase of MFL for many years (1980's).
But the day the sale was announced I missed out by 10 minutes to another buyer!!! :'( :'( :'(

That was 1989 and I never got the chance again, but I did get to ship her home with the Daytona for Troy... :2thumbs: :drool5: :cheers:

I did try to buy one of the three Daytona's that Galen was selling in 1990 too... :'(

But he said ''NOT LIKELY, no Limey is getting a Daytona''... :slap: :slap: :slap:

Life is full of missed opportunities indeed. :pullinghair: :pullinghair: :pullinghair:
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

TiMopar

Quote from: aerolith on August 24, 2021, 05:49:57 AM
Also saw this mystery 'air-grabber' bird?

My car is in the background, not really in the same league an 'English Ford' (next to a Winger) :slap:...

Now without Air Grabber PLR 440...?
PLR 440 was owned by Ahmet D. in the 70s and 80s in north London, who did the air grabber hood. As stated elsewhere, it is a 440 4v 4speed bench car.

mozz at rpm

Hi Tim
I'm not sure who fitted the Air Grabber, I suspect it was done before Dave Melbourne bought it. It was Dave who had the Superbird painted and 'semi restored' but I only knew the car after that. I do remember putting a clutch in the car and as said earlier taking the Air Grabber hood off and crating it up with Pete.
All the best
Martin.

mozz at rpm

Sorry Tim, just re read your post it was Ahmet D who obviously fitted the Air Grabber. Must pay more attention !
Martin.

aerolith

Hi Tim and Mozz,

You guys know the real history of the the UK Wingcars... :2thumbs:

Me, I was just a wannabee lol. :drool5: :smilielol: :RantExplode:
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

tan top

good lot of pictures ! thanks for sharing  :yesnod: :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

aerolith

The Wingcar era was the HIGH-LIGHT of many a MOPARMAN!

For two glorious years, the Wings were Kings... :notworthy:

They are a very 'MARMITE' kinda deal even for Mopar FOLKS!!! :pity: :slap: :boxing_smiley: :poke: :idiot: :grouphug:

50+ years on and they still cause a STIRRING of the blood and mind... :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

It was even TOO much for Mario... :coolgleamA:
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

aerolith

Mario Blu wasn't quite the same.

But Mario Azzurri would have worked... :eyes:

A very rare 'four wheel drive' Charger 500, with smoking front tyres at Daytona... :nana:

Shame the Charger 500 didn't get a 'super speedway' name like the Daytona?

For us Brits the 'Dodge Darlington' would have been perfect lol... :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623