News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

4speed: Overcenter spring disconnected

Started by hemi68charger, August 25, 2021, 07:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hello all..

Won't pretend to be a 4speed guru.. So, asking here... What is the consequences of the overcenter spring in the pedal assembly NOT being in place. In th past when I have installed a Centerforce clutch, it was instructed to disconnect/remove the overcenter spring. Just noticed on this '70 Charger R/T 4speed car I'm working on that the spring is disconnected AND the car has the original style 3-finger clutch, which means the overcenter spring should be installed and used.
What are the consequences of the spring not being installed when a OEM-style 3-fork clutch is used? The clutch pedal really has to be pressed all the way down for me to go through the gears.

Thanks..
Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

John_Kunkel

The OC spring eases the leg pressure needed to depress the clutch pedal and also returns the pedal to the full up position. Without it, the pedal will not fully return and the TO bearing might be riding on the pressure plate fingers. If the pedal doesn't fully return to the up position, you can't properly adjust the free play and could decrease your usable pedal travel.

Manually pull up on the pedal to its stop and then depress it to check the free play...anything more than 1" of free play is out of spec.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

metallicareload99

:iagree:

Tho, I drove around for years, thousands of miles without the over centre spring. Eventually I did install one towards the end of that clutches life. I was worried about excess wear on the release bearing and I like how the spring brings the pedal all the way up.

Wear on the throw out bearing was minimal when I replaced it when I had the clutch rebuilt. Big mistake, the new throwout bearing from the clutch rebuilder self disassembled within weeks. Old throw out bearing, still usable
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

hemi68charger

Thanks everyone for your input...........

Being that my friend is getting into her mid-70s, I'll try to reinstall the spring.. It is just hanging now... I can only image it will be a bear to reinstall.. I also converted the car from manual to power steering, so that will help her ALOT !!

Cheers,
T
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

birdsandbees

Troy, take the spring and hook it to the cross shaft for the front wheels on a dolly jack. Hook the other loop to the jack head and pump the jack up to stretch the spring. Put thick washers between all the coils to hold the now lengthened spring. Install the spring to the pedal peg and cross pin. and then lift up on the pedal. The washers will fall out and Bob's your Uncle.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487