News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any $40 000 second gen Charger for sale that you can drive home ?

Started by 70 sublime, August 27, 2021, 11:48:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

70 sublime

Is there any 1968 1969 or 1970 Dodge Chargers currently publicly listed  for sale or in the last 6 months that can be bought and driven home legally for $40 000 or less ?

I do not mean Billy Bob converted his old 4 X 4 truck frame and stuck it under a Charger type car
A car that has all good tires and brakes etc ...
Good frame and patched floors but street legal type of a car

And no I do not mean I helped a guy build his house so he gave me a deal on a Charger type deal
Something listed for sale for all to see

Lots of rot boxes sell for stupid money but how much money does it take to get one that you can drive and still work on as you go
Yes buy a fancy all done one as it will be cheaper in the end but that is not the question
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

jefferson

Short answer

No

I've not seen any turn key drivers for under 50k

LaOtto70Charger

Challenger340

I think $40K USD falls into that 'missing' middle price-range market that many have discussed before ? where pretty much JUNK below $30K.... and a big gap of decent candidates occurs until north again of $50K USD
That said...
IMO, the above seems to apply mainly in the US Market and denominated in USD ?
because...
when including the exchange rate between USD to CAD in Canada for example.... one can then find lots of decent/solid drivers for $50,000 Canadian.

Remember, Canada is a different market completely..... look north.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

ACUDANUT

I know of one for 60K. Big Block 4 Speed, was a a/c car. Never any rust and the owner has had it 40 years. Red with black int. Non matching drive train.

Wingnut426

Check the for sale section here on DC.com.  $37,500 70 Charger.  Doesn't say if you can drive it home though.
WINGNUT
HEMI Daytona Convertible

Mike DC

The market does not maintain the whole range of car conditions naturally.  Over time, the better cars get restored & improved.  The worse ones get neglected & parted out.  The middle-ground cars are the least likely to stay that way.  

If these cars were still getting driven a lot (translation: wear & tear) and the repro industry was producing whole cars (like with Mustangs & Camaros), then that would help maintain a middle ground.  But neither of those things is happening with Chargers.  

70 sublime

Quote from: Challenger340 on August 28, 2021, 10:25:13 AM
I think $40K USD falls into that 'missing' middle price-range market that many have discussed before ? where pretty much JUNK below $30K.... and a big gap of decent candidates occurs until north again of $50K USD
That said...
IMO, the above seems to apply mainly in the US Market and denominated in USD ?
because...
when including the exchange rate between USD to CAD in Canada for example.... one can then find lots of decent/solid drivers for $50,000 Canadian.

Remember, Canada is a different market completely..... look north.

Yes I am north and still do not  see much in that range for a driver car

70 sublime

Quote from: Wingnut426 on August 28, 2021, 11:10:16 AM
Check the for sale section here on DC.com.  $37,500 70 Charger.  Doesn't say if you can drive it home though.
WINGNUT

I emailed and asked when I saw the ad this morning but have not gotten a reply yet about what type of car it is project or driver

Fitz73Chrgr

Quote from: 70 sublime on August 28, 2021, 12:52:08 PM
WINGNUT

I emailed and asked when I saw the ad this morning but have not gotten a reply yet about what type of car it is project or driver

I hope its a driver if it's a 318 car for 37.5k.

...I bought my '70 from him 5 years ago and I'm happy, if you end up looking into the car.
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

RallyeMike

Sometimes they find you. A bright orange 70 pulled up next to me last weekend and I was the first guy to talk to him. The owner said it was an original "race hemi orange" car, so who knows what color it was originally. My guess is FK5 since it had a burnt orange interior. The paint was glossy and nice, the interior was fair needing some seat covers and misc. I did not catch if it was a 318 or 383 car. It drove 35-40 miles or so to the show. Asking price $25k.

The flipper side of brain almost blurted out said "sold", but came out as "good luck" instead. Needless to say, a guy was rolling off hundreds not much later. You'll probably see it on eBay next week for double.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

lloyd3

At some point, folks will begin to age out of these cars and they will start to hit the market in numbers that will make them affordable again. If I didn't have a son, mine would likely have been gone long before now. This game can't go on forever.  They are probably out there now at the grass-roots level. Go to enough shows and meets and you'll eventually run across something like RallyeMike did.

tan top

found this ,           https://www.500classicauto.com/details/used-1970-dodge-charger/78581778       closest  to 40 that i could find & still look half decent  ! needs fair bit of work though ! says just need tires & exhaust to be a daily driver .....  :shruggy:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

70 sublime

WINGNUT

I got a reply back and seller said the car is a driver

RiverRaider

Quote from: 70 sublime on August 29, 2021, 03:06:26 PM
WINGNUT

I got a reply back and seller said the car is a driver

Is that the same one that's in ND https://fargo.craigslist.org/cto/d/fargo-1970-dodge-charger-mopar/7369327348.html
My first Charger was a Stock Car.

70 sublime

Sounds like the same car
I never saw any pictures from the DC ad email reply but it does look nice

Kern Dog

If some idiot wants to give me $40,000 for this car, I'd sell it.

Kern Dog

....But I don't need the money and I really like the car!
Rebuilt original 383, rebuilt suspension, 3.91 SG diff, HS suspension....mechanically sound and NO rust!

darbgnik

Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

ACUDANUT

Challenger340

70 sublime

Challenger340

HOLY F*CK !

Winning Bid went to $75,000 USD !

Is that really reflective of what these cars are Selling for ?

Opinions ?

cdr

Quote from: Challenger340 on September 05, 2021, 10:03:59 AM
HOLY F*CK !

Winning Bid went to $75,000 USD !

Is that really reflective of what these cars are Selling for ?

Opinions ?

AND the body work on this car is AWFUL !!!! the rear valance & the corners are so far off
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

70B5Cuda

I think that statement is way too harsh. You couldn't buy and build that car for anywhere close to $75k with today's prices. If you find a decently solid RT/SE project it's going to cost $30k or more...plus all the parts and time to restore it. It sounds like a lot...but not when you consider what projects are selling for.
1968 Roadrunner-6.1L, 6 speed, 3.91 Getrag, IRS
1968 Charger- 6.1L, TR-6060, 9"
1968 Charger in RR1 "Ribeye"
1969 Charger in EW1 "S'more"
1969 Charger Survivor-R6, 383, 727.....WRECKED
1970 Barracuda-6.1L, 6 speed, 4.10 S60

Challenger340

Yeah I guess this one just once again highlights the missing "middle market" ..... where junk requiring huge $ resto's seems to pull $25K or more..... with nothing else "decent" available much below $60+K ?

b5blue

I'll bet if you were in the hunt checking the market, scanning all leads you'll hit a good target. Half ass check now and then will only turn up the deals that mostly suck. In today's world you gotta be ready to pounce on a deal or you'll miss it to the flippers. You won't even know it happened!
  It's just as bad for any Jeep, I found a decent deal on Craigslist, arranged to buy it and 2 days later got an email it was sold? (I offered to come look and bring cash to buy at first contact.)

ACUDANUT

Quote from: 70B5Cuda on September 05, 2021, 02:46:26 PM
I think that statement is way too harsh. You couldn't buy and build that car for anywhere close to $75k with today's prices. If you find a decently solid RT/SE project it's going to cost $30k or more...plus all the parts and time to restore it. It sounds like a lot...but not when you consider what projects are selling for.

I will sell my 70 Charger (R/T) clone for 65K..(I have Owned for 35 years)  426 wedge 4 speed, sure grip, never ever rust from east California. Red with Black 68 interior.  Anyone who helps me sell this gets a 3k paycheck.

Mike DC

QuoteYeah I guess this one just once again highlights the missing "middle market" ..... where junk requiring huge $ resto's seems to pull $25K or more..... with nothing else "decent" available much below $60+K ?

This.  

There is no US or Canadian law saying mid-range project cars must exist.  The hobby naturally eliminates them faster than it creates them.  

We need a repro Charger body shell.  That would help.  But it's probably not gonna happen, because of the repro industry's stubborn belief that 70-74 Challengers are more popular than 68-70 Chargers.  For some reason they just won't let go of that idea.  

Challenger340

Quote from: ACUDANUT on September 06, 2021, 01:27:24 PM

I will sell my 70 Charger (R/T) clone for 65K..(I have Owned for 35 years)  426 wedge 4 speed, sure grip, never ever rust from east California. Red with Black 68 interior.  Anyone who helps me sell this gets a 3k paycheck.

Sounds like a really great Charger and good deal for someone at $65K... just curious if you added the heavier "S15" 440/Hemi R/T suspension/fuel line as well ?

70B5Cuda

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on September 06, 2021, 01:28:14 PM

QuoteYeah I guess this one just once again highlights the missing "middle market" ..... where junk requiring huge $ resto's seems to pull $25K or more..... with nothing else "decent" available much below $60+K ?

This.  

There is no US or Canadian law saying mid-range project cars must exist.  The hobby naturally eliminates them faster than it creates them.  

We need a repro Charger body shell.  That would help.  But it's probably not gonna happen, because of the repro industry's stubborn belief that 70-74 Challengers are more popular than 68-70 Chargers.  For some reason they just won't let go of that idea.  

I think they are gun shy after that debacle. I understand that E-bodies were KING in the mid 2000's...but they didn't even pick the most popular e Body to reproduce!!!!! When they sunk all that money into tooling/production of the Challenger body and it didn't pan out, they decided not to take risks again. It was a stupid choice on their part. I still can't believe it. A Charger would be a no brainer....but they are scared.

Mike DC

QuoteI think they are gun shy after that debacle. I understand that E-bodies were KING in the mid 2000's...but they didn't even pick the most popular e Body to reproduce!!!!! When they sunk all that money into tooling/production of the Challenger body and it didn't pan out, they decided not to take risks again. It was a stupid choice on their part. I still can't believe it. A Charger would be a no brainer....but they are scared.

I still have yet to see evidence of a repro Challenger.  They announced the new one by showing a primered old body.  I've never seen or heard of anybody with a new one.  Never seen a big-$$$ custom at SEMA where they started with one.  No pics of them at the factory.  Nothing.

HANDM

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on September 07, 2021, 05:06:54 AM

QuoteI think they are gun shy after that debacle. I understand that E-bodies were KING in the mid 2000's...but they didn't even pick the most popular e Body to reproduce!!!!! When they sunk all that money into tooling/production of the Challenger body and it didn't pan out, they decided not to take risks again. It was a stupid choice on their part. I still can't believe it. A Charger would be a no brainer....but they are scared.

I still have yet to see evidence of a repro Challenger.  They announced the new one by showing a primered old body.  I've never seen or heard of anybody with a new one.  Never seen a big-$$$ custom at SEMA where they started with one.  No pics of them at the factory.  Nothing.

I remember reading somewhere that they were going to use decent OEM bodies, re skin and call them reproductions and then, nothing. :scratchchin:

HeavyFuel

HeavyFuel

Here's one at $45K.

A bit above the target price of 40 large, and the engine bay pic made me throw up in my mouth a little bit, but it might be solid car just needing a little bit to get it there.  I don't know for sure...haven't seen the car in person.

OP called the rear a "Posi"....view at your own risk.

https://www.bismanonline.com/williston_nd/1970_dodge_charger_500_has_a_440_with_a_727_autom_6

70B5Cuda

They are out there but you will not find reasonable prices online. If it's on ebay, craigslist, FB marketplace, etc......it's too late. The deals happen when you find the sellers before they publicly advertise. I'm amazed at the cars that keep surfacing. There are many more to be found/bought.

70 sublime

Quote from: 70B5Cuda on September 07, 2021, 10:45:15 PM
They are out there but you will not find reasonable prices online. If it's on ebay, craigslist, FB marketplace, etc......it's too late. The deals happen when you find the sellers before they publicly advertise. I'm amazed at the cars that keep surfacing. There are many more to be found/bought.

Yes but how do you find those cars ??

John Milner

Quote from: 70 sublime on September 08, 2021, 05:08:01 AM

Word of mouth, always looking for them and luck. 

RiverRaider

I have found a lot of cars by talking to swap meet vendors.  Always ask about what they have at home.  Look for vendors picture boards of cars for sale.
Most put up pictures of what they want to sell right now, but not everything they have at home. Some guys that are sitting on a "stock pile" of parts and
cars show up at a swap meet with only a few parts in the back of a pickup.  I know people that have found cars walking around shows with wanted signs
on there backs.  At Jefferson last spring a guy I met had an Avanti wanted sign on his back and already got contacts to three of them and I told him about a forth car.
But in the end the guy with dumb luck seams to get the sweat deals.

My first Charger was a Stock Car.

moparstuart

i goto alot of car shows and cruises , most of the time im one of few or the only mopar guy there .   Always hear the wild tails of this car or that car  .  You have to follow up on even the craziest of leads .  
If your driving a mopar they flock to you  :yesnod:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

70 sublime

Quote from: v21hemicharger on September 10, 2021, 07:48:55 AM
You missed this one
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/grass-valley-1969-dodge-charger/7377518246.html

*9/9 SOLD--Full Price*
Will take backup offers in case sale falls through.
Thank you for your interest.

I purchased this 1969 Dodge Charger from the daughter of the original owner. The car was sold in Lancaster CA and spent the majority of its life in the high desert. It has 9X,XXX original miles and it is a drivable car, although the fuel system will need flushing. It was last started about 5 years ago. It is a 383 2v, Torqueflite car with A/C, power steering, power drum brakes and HD suspension. I was originally going to resto-mod this car with my son, but life events have changed plans.

Unfortunately, the woman I purchased the car from thought it was just an "old car," so she left it sitting outside in the weather for a few years, causing the vinyl roof to rot and allowing water ingress into the trunk. The floors are solid and the majority of the car is rust free. Obviously, the trunk floor will need to be replaced as well as the trunk filler panel below the rear window. The interior is in good shape, I have a new upholstery, carpet and dash kit for it as well as a weather-stripping kit. The original radiator leaked, was replaced with an aftermarket—have the original. We replaced the front brakes with SSBC disc, have the original drums.
Also purchased front end rebuild kit, dual exhaust (factory single) and have Hooker Headers.

Should be a wonderful car to restore or modify as it is not a rust-bucket, or a car that was hot rodded or used as a General Lee.

70 sublime

That was a great deal
Hope who ever got it will own it for a long time and not just flip it
Has the same vinyl cloth seats mine originally came with rare option

cdr

Quote from: 70 sublime on September 10, 2021, 09:33:20 AM
That was a great deal
Hope who ever got it will own it for a long time and not just flip it
Has the same vinyl cloth seats mine originally came with rare option

in todays market someone got a very fair deal
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

tan top

Quote from: 70 sublime on September 10, 2021, 09:31:50 AM
Quote from: v21hemicharger on September 10, 2021, 07:48:55 AM
You missed this one
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/grass-valley-1969-dodge-charger/7377518246.html

*9/9 SOLD--Full Price*
Will take backup offers in case sale falls through.
Thank you for your interest.

I purchased this 1969 Dodge Charger from the daughter of the original owner. The car was sold in Lancaster CA and spent the majority of its life in the high desert. It has 9X,XXX original miles and it is a drivable car, although the fuel system will need flushing. It was last started about 5 years ago. It is a 383 2v, Torqueflite car with A/C, power steering, power drum brakes and HD suspension. I was originally going to resto-mod this car with my son, but life events have changed plans.

Unfortunately, the woman I purchased the car from thought it was just an "old car," so she left it sitting outside in the weather for a few years, causing the vinyl roof to rot and allowing water ingress into the trunk. The floors are solid and the majority of the car is rust free. Obviously, the trunk floor will need to be replaced as well as the trunk filler panel below the rear window. The interior is in good shape, I have a new upholstery, carpet and dash kit for it as well as a weather-stripping kit. The original radiator leaked, was replaced with an aftermarket—have the original. We replaced the front brakes with SSBC disc, have the original drums.
Also purchased front end rebuild kit, dual exhaust (factory single) and have Hooker Headers.

Should be a wonderful car to restore or modify as it is not a rust-bucket, or a car that was hot rodded or used as a General Lee.

bet that sold with in 30 seconds  :yesnod: unless the guys left it up forsale to see how high the offers get ? :shruggy:

looks & sounds good
but pictures dont show much  :scratchchin:

XP29G9B122060
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 

tan top

:popcrn:

Charger Stuff 

tan top

:popcrn:

Charger Stuff 

moparstuart

70B5Cuda

I do watch ebay and have bought a couple cars through ebay....but in the last two years, things have gotten too competitive. I used to be able to strike a deal and get them to end an auction. Now, sellers are inundated with offers so they let the auction roll.

I ask anyone and everyone who has a mopar (or mopar ad) if they know of any other Mopars. I cold call. I knock on doors. Ive bought cars through all these methods. In the last 5 years, I've bought 8 or 9 Chargers from within a 15 mile radius of Wichita, Ks, which isn't that big of a city. Some of those were really rough (or stripped) but a couple of them were complete and just needed some mechanical work to get running.

aerolith

That's really strange reading this thread...

Back in 1989 I Bought a 68 R/T for £4000 and a donor 383 Charger for £3000, both daily drivers... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The reason being the R/T had hit a wall (softly), square on the nose and needed all the front-end parts.
So I priced up 'repairs, parts purchase' and it worked out cheaper to get another 68 car.
It was a pure coincidence that there was a rustfree 68 available in the UK in 1989.
So with the help of a friend we swapped all the parts 'back and forwards' on both cars.

This made the R/T worth £5000 and the down side was, the rustfree, now dented 383 Charger became almost unsaleable in 1990.
Eventually I got £1500 pounds for her at a car-dealer lot and was sad to see her go...

I would have kept both cars, but lived in London town and had to sell for parking/storage reasons...

The upside is, the guy I sold the 'totally rustfree' 68 non-vinyl R/T to, has still got the car 31 years on!

Saw the other 68 at a car show painted yellow (late 90's) and was an eye-sore indeed...Cheap at £10,000... :slap:

Everything valuable doubles in price, every ten years!

My £5000 (pounds) Charger R/T in 1990 is now £40,000 plus, 'unrestored' and when its finished maybe £80,000???

My wages back in 1990 was approx 10,000 per annum, so would I be earning £80,000 now? (yeah right)
I'd be lucky to get £40,000 at present,  so Charger prices 'like houses' are 'out-stripping' earnings... :shruggy: :shruggy: :shruggy:

I was happy to buy a dented driver quality Charger back then for £4000.
Would I pay £40,000 for the same car NOW??? :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin:
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

TTSaleen

Just saw this posted today.  It's a bidding auction tho, not sure what it will bring, but looks super nice.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-dodge-charger-24/

1968 Charger
1998 Twin Turbo Saleen
2003 Mach 1
2008 Pontiac G8

WMopar71

tan top

:iagree: looks ok from the pictures ! :scratchchin:    can't see that charger selling for as little as 40k though  :P

knowing how over priced perfumed pigs & or piles of shrapnel  that once were a second generation charger are selling for /or supposedly getting bid up to on ebay are  :shruggy:

Charger Stuff 

moparstuart

im going to say between 55k and 60k   if it wasnt triple green higher for sure   

70 sublime

ACUDANUT

Quote from: ACUDANUT on September 06, 2021, 01:27:24 PM

I will sell my 70 Charger (R/T) clone for 65K..(I have Owned for 39 years)  426 wedge 4 speed, sure grip, never ever rust from east California. Red with Black 68 interior.  Anyone who helps me sell this gets a 3k paycheck.  No accidents either. Will sell for 60K.

tan top

Charger Stuff 

tan top

Charger Stuff 

ACUDANUT

40K with poor pictures and no close up's. Heck No.  Where is the under body pic's. ??  Why are we seeing different cars on the same add ?

AKcharger