News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Power Steering Pump Replacement Recommendations

Started by Chris 69, August 27, 2021, 11:57:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris 69

Looking for a replacement for my power steering pump. 1968 Charger/440.

It looks like I have a TRW pump, not Federal, as mine has the larger notch on the back (see attached comparison photo).

I also attached a photo of the front of the actual pump for reference.

Questions:
1. Is there a resource where I can purchase a direct replacement for my existing pump, including reservoir?
2. Are there other options where I could purchase a replacement pump/bracket that would work?

Chris

Mopar Nut

Try YearOne, have them send you a picture of the actual unit.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Chris 69

Quote from: Mopar Nut on August 27, 2021, 05:02:45 PM

I'll do that. I just did a search on their website, and the closest thing I could find was for a 73-74 Charger 440, at $650!

I would think a 73-74 440 would work for mine too.

b5blue

I have not installed it yet but I'm doing the whole conversion to Borgeson.  :2thumbs:

Chris 69

Quote from: b5blue on August 28, 2021, 02:35:38 PM
I have not installed it yet but I'm doing the whole conversion to Borgeson.  :2thumbs:

Sounds good. Thank you for the feedback. I'm going to order that pump.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Chris 69 on August 28, 2021, 02:18:36 PM
Quote from: Mopar Nut on August 27, 2021, 05:02:45 PM

I'll do that. I just did a search on their website, and the closest thing I could find was for a 73-74 Charger 440, at $650!

I would think a 73-74 440 would work for mine too.

Wow, $650 mine was $159 shipped. I did the Borgeson box with the pump, works great.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

b5blue

Chris 69

Quote from: b5blue on August 28, 2021, 06:59:13 PM
Check high pressure hose fitment.

Does the "stock" hose not fit? I figured I might have to find a new hose. Did you order one for when you install your new pump?

b5blue

My current set up is with a Federal pump so I'm changing everything including hoses. I'm even adding a cooler to the return line. I'd call Jeg's about fitment.  :2thumbs:
A 5/8 inch -18 fitting is listed.

Chris 69

Quote from: b5blue on August 28, 2021, 09:13:50 PM
My current set up is with a Federal pump so I'm changing everything including hoses. I'm even adding a cooler to the return line. I'd call Jeg's about fitment.  :2thumbs:
A 5/8 inch -18 fitting is listed.

I'll call them. Thank you for the heads up

GreenMachine

If you're going with the Saginaw pump from Jegs, you should be able to swap out the reservoir with a period correct one without issue. IMO, the generic reservoirs they come with look out of place on a '60's Mopar.

Also, the hoses are different from TRW/Federal, it hooks up on the back of the Saginaw so there's not very much room and it needs to be kept away from the exhaust.

And don't throw away the TRW pump, somebody will want it.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

GreenMachine

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Chris 69

Quote from: GreenMachine on August 29, 2021, 03:19:07 AM
If you're going with the Saginaw pump from Jegs, you should be able to swap out the reservoir with a period correct one without issue. IMO, the generic reservoirs they come with look out of place on a '60's Mopar.

Also, the hoses are different from TRW/Federal, it hooks up on the back of the Saginaw so there's not very much room and it needs to be kept away from the exhaust.

And don't throw away the TRW pump, somebody will want it.

Thank you for the info. I'll check out the reservoirs. Although I'm not to worried about appearance, my alternator is out of a late 70's GM truck  :slap:

I need to call Jegs to verify connection sizes. Do you have any recommendations on hose part numbers? Thank you, Chris

Chris 69

I ordered the Gates 352830. It fits the Borgeson steering box perfectly. However it is too large for the threaded nipple that screws into the steering box. I'm having a very difficult time finding a new fitting, even after bringing the parts to some local hydraulics shops.

Fitting:
- The pipe thread end that goes into the steering box is correct size.
- The tapered JIC end is too small.

See photos.

Any recommendations?

I think the existing fitting is a 1/2"-20 pipe thread on the side that connects to the steering box. The hose side I think needs to be a JIC 5 o5 6(??); I'm really not sure.

Chris 69

Figured out what fitting size is needed for the steering box adapter to the Gates hose:

5/16" flare (to hose) 1/4" straight pipe thread. I found a brass fitting at the local hardware store that may work.

Is there any issue with using a brass fitting instead of the stock (I think) steel fitting?

Chris 69

Chris 69

Finally got this sorted. See the previous post and this post for pictures of the results. This is a summary for future reference.

1. Replaced my TRW power steering pump with a Borgeson 800338.
https://www.jegs.com/i/Borgeson/153/800338/10002/-1?gclid=CjwKCAjwmqKJBhAWEiwAMvGt6BxUQEXQzglAjFbwVagelQAzeQ6M53diCuci8cgS0rFhb1J008wgwRoCvlYQAvD_BwE

2. The Borgeson pump required a different pressure hose. Gates 352830.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dodge,1970,charger,7.2l+440cid+v8,1079096,steering,power+steering+pressure+hose,7320

3. Required a new adapter fitting to connect the hose to the steering box, Hydraulic Controls MB-MJ-5-5. See attached data sheet. Steering box is original to the car (1968 Charger 'H' code, now a 440). I removed the O-ring and used a copper crush washer with larger outside diameter.