News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SUPERBIRD SATURDAY: The 2022 Las Vegas Auction Sets Records With American Muscle

Started by Mytur Binsdirti, July 03, 2022, 04:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mytur Binsdirti

A 1970 Plymouth HEMI Superbird (Lot #734) rocked the block on Saturday, setting a new auction world record with its $1.65 million sale.

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Media/Home/Reader/2022-las-vegas-daily-recap-3

dreamcatcher

All the Hemi numbers matching cars did well!  :drool5: And that Bird was one fine example of a Superbird!
1970 Superbird Tribute 440 auto
1968 Charger 426 6 pack auto
1971 Chevelle SS Tribute 350 4 speed
1970 Mustang 351 C 4 speed
1969 GTO 400 Ram air III 4 speed
1972 Charger (soon 5.7 hemi auto)
1973 Charger 440 auto (U code)
If you've never been scared (even a little) then you've never gone as fast as you could have!

gearbreath

Question for the experts on this Forum. Not to be That Guy but weren't the Decals on headlight area just a bit to glossy and not flat color? And yes is a Great Car just want to know what is correct. Thanks All. H Michael Smith

hemi68charger

Quote from: gearbreath on July 03, 2022, 08:42:40 PM
Question for the experts on this Forum. Not to be That Guy but weren't the Decals on headlight area just a bit to glossy and not flat color? And yes is a Great Car just want to know what is correct. Thanks All. H Michael Smith

Yes, decals, in general, have a satin low-gloss/sheen appearance. Maybe it was some polishing product that was put on the paint they also just rubbed all over the nose decals.
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

472 R/T SE

Gotta be careful with the spray cleaner.  Get a little on off black like and you end up wiping it all down to blend.

moparstuart

bench seat  , Auto , column shift  and  NON numbers matching trans      NOPE  !   great color but also the more common color   ???   :shruggy: Crazy shit 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Aero426

A million and a half, and you get barn funk yellowed guages.   

Redbird

I love the sale of this wing car for so many reasons.

Those in the know have said to get top dollar a wing car has to be a Daytona, guess not. Has to be a 4 speed, guess not. To add further insult it is an auto on the column with a Black Bench seat. If it is a Superbird it has to be Petty Blue, Vit-C, or Limelight, wrong again. Has to be unrestored. Guess we have an answer here too.

"Bright lighting and liquor may have helped move this merchandise." To misquote Morty Seinfeld.

It is a car that has eyeball. And I don't think Plymouth or Dodge had a decent yellow exterior color until 1971.

It will be interesting to see what Sports Car Market magazine says about it. Also interesting to see if the new owner drives it in the next 5 years.

This would be a fun car to actually drive. To quote the late Les Bowman " Some say they're ugly but everyone looks twice."

1 car does not define the market.

Long live the King!

Redbird

The late David Patik wrote definitively regarding the lack of texturing on reproduction nose stickers as opposed to NOS factory stickers.

426HemiChick

Quote from: moparstuart on July 07, 2022, 10:50:35 AM
bench seat  , Auto , column shift  and  NON numbers matching trans      NOPE  !   great color but also the more common color   ???   :shruggy: Crazy shit  

Quote from: Aero426 on July 08, 2022, 09:43:46 AM

Hi Stuart, Aero,               11 July 2022

Couldn't agree more. Think there's too much free Gov. money floating around the economy, high inflation reducing the value of our currency here at home, folks with money trying to find a safer place than the stock market. Ain't no expert, just know what I have seen over the last 50+ years; been around longer than that, just didn't pay much attention to it in the previous 30. Old sayings: "What goes up must come down" and "A fool and his money are soon parted."

Interesting there's no mention we've seen as to who restored the Super Bird. If it was Roger Gibson, it wouldn't have those lovely "Barn Funk Yellowed Gauges" and Roger's name would have been prominently displayed.

There's a mid term election coming up in about 3.5 months. That could have a significant impact on prices after the dust has settled. Time will tell.

Take Care

Best Always

Christine for the 426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

hemi68charger

Really? At least I restored my cluster and checked on all gauges.......... I agree.. It's like a model that smiles all of sudden and has yellow teeth......  :icon_smile_big:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Pinballjim on July 16, 2022, 07:02:56 PM
Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on July 16, 2022, 06:47:48 PM
Hmmmmmm, I guess the folks from Hagerty didn't watch the auction...............

5 cars losing ground in a strong market

https://www.hagerty.com/media/market-trends/hagerty-insider/5-cars-losing-ground-in-a-strong-market/?utm_source=SFMC&utm_medium=email&utm_content=MED_UN_NA_EML_UN_SaturdayRoadTrip&hashed_email=323fbb1a98604548a66745697dda47b6bfa122945a40dfd9128d2d0e0ba6ecd9

Read the article.  They reference the auction.

I did read that and due to being tired last night from walking around at Carlisle all day, I'll admit that I wasn't as articulate as I should have been, but Superbirds still do seem to be bringing strong money, as are many other cars. One only has to look at BAT to see outrageous money being spent, but this will all come to an end very soon though when Dementia Joe's recession really starts kicking in.

aerolith

Orange Superbird with 'yellow teefs' or a white GT350?

1.5 mill, don't get much these days...
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

aerolith

Maybe a 70 ragtop is more 'racey' at 1.5 mill? :scratchchin:

Be careful how you drive her with those shoddy tyres lol... :slap:
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

472 R/T SE

Have you not noticed?  Yellow gauges and substandard cluster work brings big $$ nowadays...lol.

held1823

I'm a lifelong wing fan but I'm thinking I'd rather have that hemi drop top R/T over any Superbird

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

moparstuart

Quote from: held1823 on July 18, 2022, 12:04:49 PM
I'm a lifelong wing fan but I'm thinking I'd rather have that hemi drop top R/T over any Superbird

very cool car ,  but not Superbird  cool 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

held1823

Quote from: moparstuart on July 21, 2022, 02:57:28 PM

very cool car ,  but not Superbird  cool 

Superbird cool - like asking out the wing car beauty pageant winner's sister.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,            24 July 2022

IMNSHO, the Daytona's are the most beautiful and outrageous cars ever to grace the highways of the world, bar none. They'll turn more heads than the most expensive automobile that the exotic European marques can or have produced.

Best Always

Christine for the 426 Hemi Chicks

IMNSHO = "In My Not So Humble Opinion"
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

Davtona

Quote from: held1823 on July 21, 2022, 03:26:42 PM
Quote from: moparstuart on July 21, 2022, 02:57:28 PM

very cool car ,  but not Superbird  cool  

Superbird cool - like asking out the wing car beauty pageant winner's sister.

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

gtx6970

Same here,
Not that one though.

This one is a definitely a hell yes over ANY wingcar