News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What size and brand of headers on 500" 440 based stroker with Trick Flow 240 hea

Started by 68charger440, August 28, 2021, 02:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68charger440

I read a thread from a few years ago where I was surprised by the HP and torque numbers on a 440 with different sized headers. What I took away from that thread is that bigger is not always better and I should ask for help on sizing them. The headers that are on the motor are headers I put on the car 45 years ago.  I don't remember what brand. The O.D. of the primaries reads 1.72 on my calipers??? The build is a 440 based 500" stroker I built about 15 years ago.

A little info on the build...
68 Charger
440 bored 40 over with a balanced 500 inch stroker kit installed
Stock fresh 906 heads with stock stamped steel assembly
10.52 static compression. 190 compression across the board when adjusted for my altitude. Low 160s when not adjusted for altitude
edelbrock performer rpm intake
Edelbrock performer cam
MSD all in one dizzy
Blaster II coil
Mallory Hyfire VI ignition box
Proform 850 DP
Stock converter
3" exhaust from headers on back with x-pipe in the middle
3.91 sure grip
18 initial timing 34 total
5500 foot altitude

Here is the link to the original post.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120105.0.html

Ron had suggested the Crower HDP282 based on the above thread I started about 5 years ago.  I am looking for a respectable street car that is not high maintenance. I can't do that much wrenching anymore and have been putting off doing the top end ever since, but I am determined to try and do it this winter with my son being the muscle. I want to go with the Trick Flow 240 heads and the Crower HDP282 Ron had suggested unless things have changed in the last 5 years. I would like suggestions on the best headers to go with it as well as what low maintenance guts to put in the Trick Flow 240 heads. Also how bad is the Performer RPM intake going to hurt me. Keep in mind that it is just a weekend cruiser so I am not looking to squeeze every bit of power out of it.
Thanks in advance for your help, and let me know if you need more information., or if you see any boneheaded mismatches in there.
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

c00nhunterjoe

The rpm is a very good well rounded intake. Match it to the 240s and forget about it. If its blowing 160, i would stick with the 1 3/4 tubes. Stepping up to a 1 7/8 will make more power but i feel negligible gains in a 2 ton car.

cdr

not sure on the elevation you are at & affect with compression ratio, BUT 906 heads are anywhere from 88 to 93 cc's the 240's are 78 cc's, header size I would go 1 7/8
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

68charger440

Thanks for the replies guys. Glad to hear the Performer RPM is good to use!
CDR, I read your struggle with cancer and MS. I understand the struggles with health and trying to tinker on a car at the same time. I have my own problems, and I have multiple brothers and sisters who have fought cancer, and MS as well. Keep up the fight!
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

cdr

Quote from: 68charger440 on September 02, 2021, 07:31:13 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. Glad to hear the Performer RPM is good to use!
CDR, I read your struggle with cancer and MS. I understand the struggles with health and trying to tinker on a car at the same time. I have my own problems, and I have multiple brothers and sisters who have fought cancer, and MS as well. Keep up the fight!

Thank you VERY much :)
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Challenger340

We've made very good power on the Dyno with the Performer rpm Intake, that said.... it can present some Hood Clearance issues ?
and given the above...
we've made even more power using the Holley Strip Dominator Intake Manifold #300-14 which fits under hood with no problems at all.

1-7/8" TTI Headers seem best all around to 6K rpm
Only wimps wear Bowties !

BSB67

Make sure you get clear and accurate compression ratio info before you put together the new combo.  The numbers for your current set up don't seem quite right to me, but I did not do any checking either.  But you are absolutly going in the right direction with the Trick flow heads with their smaller combustion chamber and increasing the CR.

I always install adjustable rocker arms and recommend you consider it.

RPM intake is fine.  The Holley SD will make a little more power.  I would pick the RPM over the Holley SD for your intended use.

There are thousands of cam choices out there, and a 100 times as many opinions on what the right choice would be.  At the end of the day, for what I think you are trying to achieve with a hydraulic cam, the Crower 282 is a fine choice. IMO.

If you did not need headers, I would not replace the 1 3/4" you have now.  If you need to replace them, I'd probably consider 1 7/8".   Either would be fine and won't play a critical role in what you are trying to do, IMO.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph