News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'68 steering problem

Started by 44070dart, August 28, 2021, 03:55:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

44070dart

Installed a new Lares box in my '68. The steering for the fist 6 to 8 inches of travel feels like manual steering and then goes to power. I bled it doing 10 to 15 lock to lock turns wheels in the air. First not running and then running. The fluid went down about 3 inches but the steering remained the same.  Belt is tight. Any suggestions welcomed.

John_Kunkel

Most new power boxes need the steering valve adjusted. Jack up the front so the tires are clear of the ground, then start the engine; if it self-steers (goes to one direction on its own) the valve needs to be centered.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

44070dart

It doesn't self steer, it is difficult to steer then is normal. It also doesn't return to center, and it was just aligned, drive straight down the road.

44070dart

Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 29, 2021, 05:12:38 PM
Most new power boxes need the steering valve adjusted. Jack up the front so the tires are clear of the ground, then start the engine; if it self-steers (goes to one direction on its own) the valve needs to be centered.

Will try.. thanks

doctor4766

Quote from: 44070dart on August 31, 2021, 07:29:08 PM
Quote from: John_Kunkel on August 29, 2021, 05:12:38 PM

Will try.. thanks

Keep hands WELL clear of the steering wheel when you start the engine as the wheel can spin real quick if the adjustment is out!!
Gotta love a '69

44070dart