News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Adjust timing while driving?

Started by StockMan, October 19, 2021, 06:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StockMan

I have a 68 charger with a 68 440, stock pistons and cam.  From one batch of fuel to the next I find myself adjusting the timing due to detonation/pinging.  And, if I'm not adjusting for pinging, I'm adjusting to get power back due to the timing being 'Late'.  I was curious if anyone is running a modified distributor where one can adjust timing while on the road driving?  Are there any distributors that can be adjusted without loosening the distributor bolt?  It would be nice to be able to accurately adjust degree by degree +/- without having to hook up the light.  Maybe wishful thinking.  thanks

cdr

Quote from: StockMan on October 19, 2021, 06:33:52 PM
I have a 68 charger with a 68 440, stock pistons and cam.  From one batch of fuel to the next I find myself adjusting the timing due to detonation/pinging.  And, if I'm not adjusting for pinging, I'm adjusting to get power back due to the timing being 'Late'.  I was curious if anyone is running a modified distributor where one can adjust timing while on the road driving?  Are there any distributors that can be adjusted without loosening the distributor bolt?  It would be nice to be able to accurately adjust degree by degree +/- without having to hook up the light.  Maybe wishful thinking.  thanks
What dist are you running & does it have vacuum advance
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

StockMan

Quote from: cdr on October 19, 2021, 11:18:58 PM
Quote from: StockMan on October 19, 2021, 06:33:52 PM
What dist are you running & does it have vacuum advance
I've got the stock distributor with the vacuum advance.  Its seem that with this distributor it would be hard to set it up where the internals could turn enough to give a couple of degrees, without then affecting the vacc advance

StockMan

Quote from: John_Kunkel on October 20, 2021, 12:02:48 PM
Change timing on the fly with your smart phone.

https://progressionignition.com/
Exactly what I was looking for, good price to.  I can hardly wait to see how it works, thanks for passing this along.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

b5blue

Quote from: StockMan on October 20, 2021, 10:52:55 PM
Quote from: John_Kunkel on October 20, 2021, 12:02:48 PM
Change timing on the fly with your smart phone.

https://progressionignition.com/
Exactly what I was looking for, good price to.  I can hardly wait to see how it works, thanks for passing this along.
Please keep us updated!  :2thumbs:

Canadian1968

I saw this awhile ago......... It does look very interesting !!!

The concept is amazing. But like with any new tech, wonder if they have all the bugs worked out???

I would have to think of other reasons to spend time in the garage though, as this would make any changes a 5 min job  :nana: