News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Manual Transmission Swap and Bench Seat Issue

Started by 1986ed, August 30, 2021, 03:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1986ed

I recently bought a 1971 Charger from a family friend and I'm currently in the process of completely reassembling it, doing a few upgrades along the way. One of which is that I'm converting it from a 3 speed automatic to a 5 speed manual. I ordered a Tremec TKX 5 speed from Silver Sport Transmissions (SST). The only issue I've run across so far is that SST states that the transmission will only work with bucket seats. Of course, my Charger came with bench seats. Ideally, I'd like to keep it that way.

I briefly looked through Google Images and found pictures of manual Chargers both with bench seats and bucket seats. So my question is for anyone who has already done this conversion themselves... Is SST full of shit and I'm still able to use my bench seat? Is possible to use it with some modification? If not, does anyone have a recommendation for where to find quality OE style bucket seats? Alternatively, anyone looking to trade their OEM bucket seats for an OEM bench seat?

XH29N0G

The only thing I can think of is where the shifter comes through the floor.  Mine was a year older than yours, but a bench seat with 3 on the floor.  I swapped to a 4 speed and now have a 5 speed tremec that was one of the older kits, but I asked SST to change the tailshaft to allow it to tuck up under the chassis and they agreed.  I am very grateful to them for that.  In my case, the shifter location was not significantly different and the key was the shifter handle (and centering springs in the transmission linkage (?)).  I did some measuring and found/modified a shifter handle to my liking. 

I suggest talking to someone there and finding out why it won't work with a 1971 bench seat.  You can say you know of someone wiht a 1970 bench who says it works for the second generation and find out if it is because the shifter pops up under the seat.  If it does, maybe they have another solution.  If it isn't that it pops up under the seat, then you can probably make it work and will enjoy it.

Make sure it tucks up nicely to get the driveline angles right and make sure the centering etcc... as described by Kern Dog are done right. .

Good luck.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

RallyeMike

In 71, the stock shifter position with buckets is different than the shifter with a bench. For the bench seat it is farther forward. I'll bet that their 71-74 transmission kit is set up for the more typical rear shifter position for bucket/console cars. If you used a Tremec fitted for a 66-70 B body transmission, that the shifter position would be set up for a forward style shifter and might work with buckets. Since you need to install a 4-speed hump/hole, you could custom align it with the 66-70 shifter position. Maybe you could pose that question to SST? 

Unfortunately, nobody is making new stock style bucket seat frames.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/