News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970 Dodge Charger with Bench Seat

Started by kevink, August 30, 2021, 09:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevink

How many of you have 1970 Charger with a bench seat? I ask 1970 because I think that is possible the first year you could get the bench seat in a Charger? Just curious to how common this is/was as an option.
Thanks

Kern Dog

I've only seen them in 1970 XH models, like mine....

DAY CLONA

My 70 Charger "had" a bench/column auto...first thing on the "To go" list.... :icon_smile_big:

RallyeMike

I've had only one 70 Charger and it was a bench seat column shift car.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

moparstuart

they make a super rare one that looks like two buckets and a fold down arm rest like a buddy seat , but its all one piece bench .   70 Charger and GTX only   
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

AKcharger

My '72 has one. I was going to put buckets and a console in it but thought "Hey, you never see bench seats anymore" and kept it. People at car shows always get a kick out of it

6bblgt

Quote from: moparstuart on August 31, 2021, 08:31:43 AM
they make a super rare one that looks like two buckets and a fold down arm rest like a buddy seat , but its all one piece bench .   70 Charger and GTX only    

:scratchchin:   .......  NO they don't   :cheers:

the bench seats in Kern Dog's pictures are the only 1970 Charger bench seats available & XH29 ONLY (all vinyl "H2??" - available in: black, white, blue, green, tan & burnt orange)
- the 1970 GTX bench seat is shown below (cloth & vinyl "P3??" - available in: black, blue & burnt orange)

XH29N0G

the 1970 registry says something like 9300-9400 XH built.  Mine had a bench seat, no exception.  One question I have always had is whether the bench sits the driver and passenger higher than the bucket seats.  I am thinking height off the floor. 
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Kern Dog

Quote from: XH29N0G on August 31, 2021, 06:50:54 PM
  One question I have always had is whether the bench sits the driver and passenger higher than the bucket seats.  I am thinking height off the floor. 
What? I thought you meant that the seats would make you fail a drug test....

cbrestorations

Had a triple black 70 383 Charger with bench seat.

XH29N0G

:icon_smile_big:  KD,  I figure you would know since you have both.  Is there a difference in height.  I always felt with the Charger bench seat that I was sitting up higher than in some other cars with buckets.  I wondered if the chargers with buckets also sit up high, or sit a little lower.

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Kern Dog

Yeah, even with the seat worn out, My head does sit closer to the headliner in the XH/Jigsaw car !

DD

All base model 70 Chargers (XH29) came with bench seats. Buckets were not an option and were standard on the 500 (CP29) and R/T (XS29) models.

Kern Dog

There are a LOT of car guys that incorrectly believe that you could order a car any way that you wanted. I know a reasonably smart guy that thinks you could have ordered a 440 or a Hemi in a base model car.
No, they were only available in the R/T.

JimShine

20 years ago, it seemed like most of the 1970 Charger's I was finding locally were these stripped down budget Charger's. One was a pristine, low mileage survivor in blue. Every single one of them, including the survivor, wound up "upgraded" with bucket seats. I often wonder how many of the XH cars are out there modded and not obvious.

DD

The survival rates based on cars registered with the 70 Charger Registry:

XH29 Base Model: 5.8%
XP29 500 Model:   7.8%
XS29 R/T Model:   16.7%

There are still cars out there yet to be found but a lot of the less HP cars met a crushing fate or were stripped to keep others alive.