News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

TTI engine mounts for 5.7 HEMI - GEN III - got a problem

Started by TTSaleen, September 02, 2021, 07:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TTSaleen

So I have a 2006 5.7 Hemi engine out of a Dodge Charger (Daytona).
That's a passenger car style with a low mount air-conditioner and a passenger side starter.
This is different from the 2009 and newer Eagle engines.

So I called TTI and told them what I had and it was going into my 1968 Charger.
They sold me the headers and engine mounts I needed.
I purchased new stock rubber mounts from Mancini Racing that had already been modified (cut) to clear (per TTI instruction).

Here's the problem -
Clearly the driver side mount isn't going to work as the 3rd bolt hole (in the middle) is right in line with the air-conditioning compressor.
Even if I modify the adapter mount, the engine mount will still hit.

Next the passenger side hits right on the oil filter, so a relocation kit is mandatory at this point.

Anyone else run into this problem?
I've emailed/called but it must be after hours now, so hope they get back to me ASAP tomorrow.

Ryan

1968 Charger
1998 Twin Turbo Saleen
2003 Mach 1
2008 Pontiac G8

TTSaleen

Well good news.
I talked to Sam at TTI this afternoon.

Apparently, I need to cut the back of my AC compressor off where that last bolt goes thru.
This is where the motor mount is interfering.
He said this is not going to hurt anything as the compressor has 4 other bolts holding it on.

So I will modify it and post pics later.
Just wish they had something about that in the instructions! 

Ryan
1968 Charger
1998 Twin Turbo Saleen
2003 Mach 1
2008 Pontiac G8

TTSaleen

Wanted to update for anyone else that runs into this issue.
The instructions were sorely lacking, but you basically need to cut the back of the compressor off!  Haha.
It sounds worse that it is, but after doing this, the engine mount fits.

Here's pictures to show what I did and how it now fits.
Plus a quick mock up photo.

1968 Charger
1998 Twin Turbo Saleen
2003 Mach 1
2008 Pontiac G8

b5blue

Thanks for posting. I'm following your build with great interest.  :2thumbs:

Kern Dog

Thank you for updating. You're a LOT more polite than I would be.
Incomplete instructions are a fucking insult to the customers. What kind of bullshit is this when they leave out details like this? What a lazy prick that wrote these instructions. These assholes need to write the instructions for the person that has NOT done this type of swap before, not the guy that does 10 of them a year.
It isn't just these guys though. The issue of shitty instructions are in other products requiring assembly as well. These lazy assclowns leave out pertinent info and skip past crucial steps. If these dicks were to write a set of instructions to rebuild an engine, it might read remove engine, disassemble, machine any needed cylinders and/or crankshaft journals, reassemble.

I've installed garage door openers with crappy instructions.
I've assembled Harbor Freight stuff with tiny instructions you'd need a Jewelers eyepiece to read.
You know what has excellent instructions? Office furniture. The Wife has bought shelves and desks and the instructions are great. You'd have to be brain dead to mess it up. Hire THOSE guys to write instructions for everything!

Mopar Nut

Yeah, they need a guy who designs Lego bricks instructions to work there.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

TTSaleen

Quote from: Kern Dog on September 04, 2021, 11:54:01 PM
Thank you for updating. You're a LOT more polite than I would be.
Incomplete instructions are a fucking insult to the customers. What kind of bullshit is this when they leave out details like this? What a lazy prick that wrote these instructions. These assholes need to write the instructions for the person that has NOT done this type of swap before, not the guy that does 10 of them a year.
It isn't just these guys though. The issue of shitty instructions are in other products requiring assembly as well. These lazy assclowns leave out pertinent info and skip past crucial steps. If these dicks were to write a set of instructions to rebuild an engine, it might read remove engine, disassemble, machine any needed cylinders and/or crankshaft journals, reassemble.

Yeah then you'd really blow a gasket on what I got in the box.  LOL.  It was a pair of mount adapters and my receipt.
:scratchchin:
Haha.  I agree that something between the LEGO example above and some other basic write-up would have done wonders in making this go more smoothly for me.

In any event, made some progress after finally receiving my oil pump pickup tube stud (long story will be in upcoming Youtube vid).
Got the Holley oil pan on, but ran into a snapped-bolt issue.............. :brickwall:

This is nothing if not a learning curve.  Haha.  But it gives me something to do and document along the way.
Quick note - The oil pan instructions clearly state no more than 150 in/pounds of torque (12.5 ft/lbs).  I had 1 bolt that never would hit torque spec, so I pulled it a little more (about 3/4 turn and then pop, off the head goes).

Here's a few pics.  Getting anxious.
Talked to Hotwireauto about the wiring harness and he (Chris) is 8 weeks out currently.  

1968 Charger
1998 Twin Turbo Saleen
2003 Mach 1
2008 Pontiac G8

TTSaleen

Real basic video, but it captures the Air conditioning modification and I give part numbers for the mounts and adapters.
https://youtu.be/3bbKhEYe9og
1968 Charger
1998 Twin Turbo Saleen
2003 Mach 1
2008 Pontiac G8

Lennard

Quote from: TTSaleen on September 10, 2021, 10:28:51 AM
Real basic video, but it captures the Air conditioning modification and I give part numbers for the mounts and adapters.
https://youtu.be/3bbKhEYe9og

Nice video. This is what I used to relocate my oil filter. Made in the USA:

https://www.stankemotorsports.com/Products.cfm?pn=ROFA&pID=12