News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Importing car back to US (not from Canada)

Started by taxspeaker, September 04, 2021, 07:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taxspeaker

I am working on re-importing a Superbird from overseas that was originally exported about 15 years ago. Anyone done this and can give me any advice?
Thanks
Bob

Mytur Binsdirti

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: taxspeaker on September 04, 2021, 07:20:25 PM
I am working on re-importing a Superbird from overseas that was originally exported about 15 years ago. Anyone done this and can give me any advice?
Thanks
Bob

Generally, vehicles requiring import that are 21years or older are NOT subject to EPA or DOT regulation...    so realistically there is limited restraint from importing the bird...    you'll have to file some paperwork with CBP regarding shipment and to prove the vehicle war originally made to comply with US road standards...     Beyond that I am not too familiar as I have not done this myself
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

taxspeaker

Well. Here is what I have learned. A basically 1970 (unmodified) Bird can be reimported with a valid, matching Vin. However, there is a >50% chance that it will need a detailed search by 1 of the Federal agencies (FBI and/or TSA) to prove it was not stolen in either country. The cost of shipping is not as much as you would expect (my quote was $3750 for about 8,000 miles), but insurance and port fees will amount to >$5,000 in this case. Then at the US port you need to have a port inspection, clear customs and have a trans-shipper unless you can get it at the docks. The trans-shipper will charge a port verification fee plus shipping to your location (for me that is Indiana). When all said and done it looks like about $11,000 of additional costs, incredible paperwork and worry and although the car is extremely nice and extremely rare, between the price and the added cost I decided not to go through with it.

hemi-hampton

held1823

wouldn't have been a V code from south of the equator, would it?
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053