News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Available options for head lamp lighting

Started by 66FBCharger, August 09, 2021, 11:42:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

66FBCharger

Saturday I went to a party and decided to take my '69 R/T. It runs and drives great. Anyway, I stayed later than I had intended and left after dark. I never noticed how the headlights don't work very well. With the low beams on it was a little rough to see well. (Yes I know I am getting older so more light does help my sight), With the hi beams on it was fine. i am going to see if I can adjust the low beam headlights better.
My question is, what kind of options are there to retrofit better working headlamps into our Chargers? What are the pros and cons of these options?
Thanks,
John
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

armor64

i went with Aukee h4 LED Headlights in Hella Glass H4 bulb Housings. They are not blinding like HID conversions i've seen (that usually should not go into halogen housings) but are nice and bright. I did the drive by with a spotter test and they said it was bright but not "Soft Boil my Eyes) bright. the new ones have the ballast built in, so no box or changing wiring. and the current Draw is so much lower, no wiring changes were needed. Also did this swap in my 78 GMC and dads 51 chevy truck.

70 sublime

Have you done the head light relay bypass ?

I got mine swapped over this summer and it does make a big difference
I took my power lead for the relay right from the alternator
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

66FBCharger

Quote from: 70 sublime on August 09, 2021, 02:49:23 PM

I have not done the headlight relay bypass.
What is the benefit of doing this? Does it provide more power to the headlamps to make them brighter?
Thanks for your reply.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto

66FBCharger

Quote from: armor64 on August 09, 2021, 12:02:29 PM
i went with Aukee h4 LED Headlights in Hella Glass H4 bulb Housings. They are not blinding like HID conversions i've seen (that usually should not go into halogen housings) but are nice and bright. I did the drive by with a spotter test and they said it was bright but not "Soft Boil my Eyes) bright. the new ones have the ballast built in, so no box or changing wiring. and the current Draw is so much lower, no wiring changes were needed. Also did this swap in my 78 GMC and dads 51 chevy truck.

Do you have any pictures of what you installed?

armor64

somehow i didnt take pictures of the final install for the bulbs, here is a quick video i made testing my cheap linear actuator install.  from the front they look normal, ill take a pic of the back of them tonight after work.

https://youtu.be/hV68N2UXrRI

70 sublime

Quote from: 66FBCharger on August 10, 2021, 10:38:15 AM
Quote from: 70 sublime on August 09, 2021, 02:49:23 PM

What is the benefit of doing this? Does it provide more power to the headlamps to make them brighter?
Thanks for your reply.

In my case it did make them brighter as my car still has all the original wires and joiners in the wiring harness
Doing this will bypass all that stuff and put power directly to the light bulbs from the alternator
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

OzCharger69

When I did mine I steered away from LEDs because it loses the classic look and the white light gives it a modern feel. I used there 5 3/4 lamps with relays and the difference is huge. I am happy driving country roads in pitch black hoping that no kangaroos get in the way. The hi beams are absolutely a powerhouse because the lens is free form.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/163443042058

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/163634656975

Kern Dog

Thanks for your reply.
What this accomplishes is a cleaner and more consistent power supply. Instead of a long path to supply power through seasoned wiring, the bypass pulls power from the alternator and protects the headlights using relays and sometimes even fuses.
A member of Moparts, FABO, FBBO and maybe even here...."Crackedback" makes harnesses that get installed with no cutting of your harness. I installed his harness along with Hella H4 and H1 headlights. Even with the standard bulbs, (Much brighter wattage is available) the headlights are almost as bright as new cars are today.
I paid $180 for the relay harness and under $200 for the headlights.

Rolling_Thunder

I ended up getting Hella lamp housings and utilizing H4 style lamps...     not as idea as a true HID projector housing conversion but works very well

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

ht4spd307

I purchased a set of nos Hella H4 semi sealed  headlights so they look  standard  but being semi sealed i can upgrade to any bulb that suits H4

66FBCharger

Quote from: Kern Dog on August 10, 2021, 08:30:14 PM

Thanks for your reply.
What this accomplishes is a cleaner and more consistent power supply. Instead of a long path to supply power through seasoned wiring, the bypass pulls power from the alternator and protects the headlights using relays and sometimes even fuses.
A member of Moparts, FABO, FBBO and maybe even here...."Crackedback" makes harnesses that get installed with no cutting of your harness. I installed his harness along with Hella H4 and H1 headlights. Even with the standard bulbs, (Much brighter wattage is available) the headlights are almost as bright as new cars are today.
I paid $180 for the relay harness and under $200 for the headlights.

Thanks KD.
I'll have to search for and read the headlight relay upgrade. I'll try that first with the stock headlights and see how much brighter they are.