News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Console shifter in 1st / L

Started by Canadian1968, September 07, 2021, 08:31:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canadian1968

Simple question.

Original 68 charger with console shifter.  When you manually put the car in to L or 1st gear.  Should it "lock" into 1st? By that I mean the shifter itself. When I move the shifter all the way down it never really "clicks" in 1st . The car does leave in 1st , I can slide up the shifter and and will have an very noticeable click into 2nd, and finally up into D. 

Wondering if the linkage is about out of adjustment ??

cdr

no it will move all the way to neutral ,
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Canadian1968

Sorry maybe I didn't explain it right.

This is with car sitting still . If I have the shifter in D, I can press the button and move it down to 2, it will click into position.  Now if I push the button again and move it down into 1st , it will move down but basically bottom out with in the console , it doesn't really click into the lowest position

Gold Rush

My '74 SE with Slap Stick shifter does exactly the same thing so I expect that is normal operations.  From first there is no sifting direction other than into second so seems logical to me.   :icon_smile_big:
24 years USAF, 25 years consumer electronics repair technician.  Now I ride a Honda Goldwing trike and wrench my latest project.  Children and Grandchildren are gown so I have to find other places to spend my time and money!

6.7Cummins

My 68 does the same thing. Tried adjusting linkage but did not change.
1968 Charger R/T 440/727

Canadian1968

Back N Black

Just 6T9 CHGR

Mine seems to be messed up   LOL 
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Kern Dog

Yeah, mine is different too.

A383Wing

first gear is "up" on my car....maybe my transmission is installed backwards??

Bryan

Canadian1968