News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Considering selling my 68 project

Started by tmaleck, September 08, 2021, 03:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmaleck

My 68 Charger has been in the shop for 4 years.  The owner is a nice guy and all, but I'm getting beat down with all the broken promises.  I have 80k invested and I can't get a schedule commitment.  I've been in and around the car /motorcycle business since the 70's so I know how this works.  Anyway, I'm so bummed and burnt out on this project I don't have any desire to continue trying to work with this guy.  We all know what a nightmare changing shops mid project is, parts go missing, bills for extra labor magically show up, and the new shop may or may not deem previous work acceptable.  All I wanted was to enjoy a car I owned as a kid and didn't appreciate and it's just not fun anymore.  If I did sell it, is 50 to 60 cents on the dollar a reasonable expectation?  I will say the work done so far does meet my quality standards, it's not a hack job.
The thought is I could put that money towards my Daytona clone project.
Looking forward to your thoughts.

1970Moparmann

Unfortunately I am hearing stories like this more and more.   

I am really surprised that you have $80k into this already.    I would hope that with your statement, everything has been bought and just awaiting for assembly?   

The bigger question - is this a RT 4 speed or a 318 auto?    Provide more detail and you will get some realistic answers.    It is a great market right now...
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

tmaleck

Good point.  It's a factory 383 2bbl Auto with A/C car.  Now has 440 forged crank fully built goodies too numerous to list.  Sidewinder heads,Edlebrock Proflow 4 XT, CFV serpentine kit, Willwood all four corners, complete QA1 front suspension and K frame, the list goes on.  I do have most every part new to put back on it.  If there ends up being serious interest, I can post a link to tons of photos and a spreadsheet of all parts and labor to date.
I tried to add a couple engine photos, but I can't get it to work
Tim

70 sublime

next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

John Milner

I think I would be tempted to get it and put it back together myself if I were in your position.  It doesn't look like it would take just a ton of work to make it into a nice driver.  If you've had the car since you were a kid, I would be very hesitant to make any decisions on selling it based on a body shop not doing what they are supposed to do.  Just get it, bring it home and wait a while.  You'll be glad you did someday. 

tmaleck

Sadly, my first one is long gone.  Also, car is further along than that picture.  Drivetrain is in, underbody is restored and undercoated,  interior is done instrument cluster restored, etc.  I have terrible arthritis in my hands and can no longer work on it myself (wish I could).  
I'm in Austin, TX.  This site is horrible for adding pictures, so here is a link to some.
https://app.box.com/s/v5vypy0opiaqdaocmz1nnlb9otes0id1

70 sublime

Sucks getting old  ( guess it beats the alternative )

What colour is the green you used on the car ?

Mopar Nut

Looks good.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

tmaleck

It's House of Kolor organic green candy over a gold base coat.  Thanks for the nice words.

Lennard

Quote from: tmaleck on September 09, 2021, 12:50:48 PM
Sadly, my first one is long gone.  Also, car is further along than that picture.  Drivetrain is in, underbody is restored and undercoated,  interior is done instrument cluster restored, etc.  I have terrible arthritis in my hands and can no longer work on it myself (wish I could).  
I'm in Austin, TX.  

You're close to having a completely restored 1968 Charger, the most wanted muscle car.

Maybe try to find a forum member that lives in your area that would like to help you finish it?

70 sublime

Quote from: Lennard on September 09, 2021, 05:42:22 PM
I'm in Austin, TX.  

You're close to having a completely restored 1968 Charger, the most wanted muscle car.

Maybe try to find a forum member that lives in your area that would like to help you finish it?

I was thinking the same thing if there was anyone close that could lend a hand

tmaleck

Quote from: 70 sublime on September 09, 2021, 08:11:21 PM
Quote from: Lennard on September 09, 2021, 05:42:22 PM
I'm in Austin, TX.  

I was thinking the same thing if there was anyone close that could lend a hand
I would be ecstatic if that were possible.  I'd help where possible, and gladly cover their time and expenses.

TexasStroker

What all exactly do you need to finish the car?
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

tmaleck

Quote from: TexasStroker on September 10, 2021, 04:20:00 PM
What all exactly do you need to finish the car?
Engine and drivetrain and suspension are in, interior is done, but not Installed.  American muscle car wiring harness partially installed.   I think all glass and weather strip, seals and fuzzies not installed.  I have Nu relic power window kits for all four windows.  Vintage air partially installed.  No exterior trim installed.   I rebuilt the grill and header panel, not installed.   Edelbrock proflow 4 XT not wired, have lokar throttle and kickdown kits.
The worst is the paint.  It reacted with the primer in spots and has to be redone.  This is not required, but Its the reason the shop stalled out, since they are on the hook for time and materials to repaint.   This is secondary to me at this point, but it must be repainted at some point.
I think a solid 40 to 50 hours gets it on the road with the paint not included.

TexasStroker

If I was down that way I could definitely help out.  Sad to see they botched the paint job.  I'd want to be driving it as well.  Will they not complete the remaining work and then just to cover their mistake, or reimburse you for a paint job?  Is Dave still down in the Houston area?  I think he was 68RRFlyer or something similar...he was on here posting restos a few years ago.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

1970Moparmann

Contact Troy!   He is in Houston and can put you on the list.   Enjoy your car, you made it this far with it!

hemi68charger is Troys user name.
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

tmaleck

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on September 13, 2021, 07:00:56 AM
Contact Troy!   He is in Houston and can put you on the list.   Enjoy your car, you made it this far with it!

hemi68charger is Troys user name.
Thanks for the info, I'll look into it.

AKcharger

tmaleck

80 includes the car, parts and labor so far.  The engine alone is 14k.  Edelbrock, ARP, CFV, Sidewinder, Comp Cams, TTI, etc.  It is easy to do.  This is supposed to be the car I could never afford as a kid.  I've gotten a couple of good emails, hopefully this will all work out.

VegasCharger

What's to say you wouldn't get burned out on a "Daytona" project IF you were to unload this '68?

Stay the coarse IMO.

DeltaV

Another vote for stay the course.

Endeavor to persevere.
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning. - Erwin Rommel

tmaleck

Update:  Car is coming home next week, we're making room now.  Still need to negotiate with the shop, he wants 18k just to release it.  Then we still need to inventory the parts and find what's missing.  It's a pain, but it's some sort of progress.  I'll worry about what's next once it's home.  Thanks for the support guys.

AKcharger

RallyeMike

Quotehe wants 18k just to release it.

So you'd end up with $98k into a car that's not only incomplete, but also needs to be repainted?

You are being robbed, but I agree .... get your car out of that black hole.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

1974dodgecharger

sounds about right 80k if the person didnt do any of the work himself on the car.....

MGBRingo

Right decision to bring it home.  But the body shop owes you big money because of the screwed up paint job.  Don't let him off the hook for that.  Take him to court.

AKcharger

aerolith

The road to hell is paved with good intention!

Folks take on resto work 'with the best intentions'.
Stuff always goes wrong and the bigger the job, the more problems you get!

We all put our trust in others, everyone who has a Charger, Coronet, Challenger or Cricket has to 'farm out work'.
Finding a good shop is tricky and its not about the price, just pressure of life for both parties!

Burnout happens to the owner and the resto guy in equal amounts.
What some folks find acceptable, others say otherwise.

Accept its not a factory floor environment for the resto guys and most 'do their BEST'!

I'm batting for both sides on this one and many others like it.

I build engines, transmissions and axles for folks and they can rub Bondo for me... :buff: :paintingpink: :smash:
Whose time and effort is worth more?

How long does it take to build a 'grocery getter' 600HP ENGINE?
Why are those gears noisy?
All you had to do was prime and paint the whole body, a days work at most... :slap:

YOU GOT THIS FAR, DON'T GIVE UP WITH THE END IN SIGHT... :pity: :popcrn: :2thumbs:
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

aerolith

I just remembered a sad story a Moparmate told me.

There was a famous guy in the World of 'cylinder head manufacture' who had his 69-Sixpack Superbee at a resto shop for three years!

Well he got 'burnout' and told them the car would be picked up and sent to another shop for finishing.
The shop wasn't happy as they said , ''nearly all the important stuff was 'done' and just needed a few weeks for the final assembly''.

Never the less, the car was removed and taken to the other shop in pieces!

The famous owner was dismayed and thought it was a disaster!

But a week later the car was 'up and running' and only a few weeks away from final finishing... :slap:
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

hemi-hampton

I wouldn't pay the $18k Until he repaints it. Being a Painter I can tell you that would be a Major Concern. Why? Being Transparent Candy over Gold this a not a Color you can just spot in or take anywhere & have it spotted in. Being Candy the whole exterior will need to be done to look right, if you spot it I'm 95% sure it will never come out right or look right. The Shop knows this, you don't & that is why they are so hesitant to go forward, they know that will be alot of work & Time & Candy Paint is expensive. Just that Paint Job Alone can be a $18K Job. If you already Paid for that Paint Job I wouldn't take it back until it's done right. Post Pictures of the Paint Flaws, I'd like to see it. LEON.

hemi-hampton

Looks like I just killed another Thread :scratchchin: :shruggy:

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

tmaleck

I spent some time with the car yesterday and it's a mess.  No one job is actually complete, half a wiring harness, Edelbrock Pro Flow half installed, driveshaft in the trunk, no glass but regulators in the doors, dash frame and column in the trunk, the list goes on.   The paint is truly horrible.  All my spare parts are piled up in a stack covered in dust and filth.  What a CF! And the shop owner has now decided this is all my fault.  It should come home next week, but this totally sucks!  Sorry to vent, but I couldn't sleep last night I was so bummed out.

cdr

Quote from: tmaleck on November 02, 2021, 02:17:53 PM
I spent some time with the car yesterday and it's a mess.  No one job is actually complete, half a wiring harness, Edelbrock Pro Flow half installed, driveshaft in the trunk, no glass but regulators in the doors, dash frame and column in the trunk, the list goes on.   The paint is truly horrible.  All my spare parts are piled up in a stack covered in dust and filth.  What a CF! And the shop owner has now decided this is all my fault.  It should come home next week, but this totally sucks!  Sorry to vent, but I couldn't sleep last night I was so bummed out.

SO sorry to hear this but it seems very typical for body shops,  they should call them   Dream Crusher  , I wish I was closer to Ya, I am in Katy Tx, 
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

AKcharger

Yup now you know why people who have never touched a paint gun in their lives breakdown and do it themselves

moparstuart

Quote from: AKcharger on November 03, 2021, 08:28:49 AM
Yup now you know why people who have never touched a paint gun in their lives breakdown and do it themselves
and also why there is alot of ratty . patina muscle cars running around these days  .  
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hemi-hampton

Quote from: moparstuart on November 03, 2021, 02:24:28 PM
Quote from: AKcharger on November 03, 2021, 08:28:49 AM
and also why there is alot of ratty . patina muscle cars running around these days  .  

AK, Wasn't it you that got screwed at Body Shop, Took your Car home to paint yourself, Failed, Then took back to Body Shop & Paid big bucks to have them Paint it :shruggy: :scratchchin:

AKcharger

Yes and no
Yes about being ripped off by a shop  (posted link above)
No shop painting/big bucks..I did all bodywork/paint but the clear coat kicked my butt so had a shop spray the clear in their booth, $1000 for block & shoot clear. No wet-sanding or buffing after and car home 3 days later..money well spent.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: AKcharger on November 03, 2021, 10:46:42 PM
Yes and no
Yes about being ripped off by a shop  (posted link above)
No shop painting/big bucks..I did all bodywork/paint but the clear coat kicked my butt so had a shop spray the clear in their booth, $1000 for block & shoot clear. No wet-sanding or buffing after and car home 3 days later..money well spent.

That's a good idea, I didn't think about that. It only cost $1000 to have it sprayed evenly, no cut or buff needed?

I'm going to paint my car and then have a detail shop cut and buff it. I like your way better.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

tmaleck

Got the car home today, and as the time stamp of this post would suggest, the car is f'd up beyond belief.  More to follow, I'll post pics soon.  Yikes, what a mess.

AKcharger

Quote from: tmaleck on November 16, 2021, 04:44:01 AM
Got the car home today, and as the time stamp of this post would suggest, the car is f'd up beyond belief.  More to follow, I'll post pics soon.  Yikes, what a mess.

It HOME!!! thats what you need to be thankful for! if you got MOST of your parts back too that's a plus!

tcs69rt

Quote from: DeltaV on October 02, 2021, 08:34:31 PM
Another vote for stay the course.

Endeavor to persevere.

Did you watch The Outlaw Josey Wales the other night? LMAO
"Life ain't easy when you rode the short bus."