News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Both Rear Drums Sticking

Started by shawnmd, September 12, 2021, 06:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnmd

I have a 69 Charger R/t with manual drum brakes all around. Front brakes are all new and work great. Rear brakes are in great shape, and work well for the first 5 mins of a drive. Then they start heating up, due to sticking or not releasing. I've pulled it in the garage right away, jacked it up and both rear wheels were locked..wouldn't move. After a few hours, they cool off  and pressure releases (i guess) and they can be turned again. 

My question is where to start troubleshooting...master cylinder? Distribution block? Proportioning valve? Wheel cylinders?

b5blue

Common for rear brake flex connector body to axle.

Kern Dog

Quote from: b5blue on September 12, 2021, 06:36:34 PM

shawnmd

Quote from: b5blue on September 12, 2021, 06:36:34 PM

Thank you. Is there anyway to visually tell if the flex hose has failed?

b5blue

No it swells up on the inside. Get the rears locked up like you said and open the line at the axle to see if it releases.

6.7Cummins

My 68 did the same thing and it was the brake hose.
1968 Charger R/T 440/727

armor64

i was able to get a 323 sure grip axle from a buddy going into retirement home care, that he has for decades. the rear hose was cut in half, but looked sealed completely inside, and the drums would not turn. starting the pull apart to see what i could do, i undid the remnant of the flex line and had some fluid push out, and like magic, both sides freed up and would spin together like nothing was wrong.