News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Up grading from small block to big block, Should torsion bars be upgraded also?

Started by Back N Black, September 14, 2021, 06:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Back N Black

I think the 383 is 150 lb. heavier than a 318. Not looking for performance upgrade, just don't want the front end bottom out.

Mike DC

If you have stock T-bars?  Yeah, put bigger ones in there. 

I prefer soft corner springs on cars in general.  But the front T-bars came a little too soft from the factory, everybody agrees on that now.  (BTW, the staggered rear leaf springs on factory R/Ts were NOT too soft.  They were arguably too stiff, if anything.) 

B-body torsion bar sizing: 
The stiffness of a torsion bar goes up dramatically as it gets bigger.  It doesn't take twice the bar diameter to get twice the stiffness.    

stock base Coronet (slant/318):   0.88
stock base Charger (318/383):    0.90
stock R/T (440/Hemi):                0.92

Today they make sizes like  0.96, 0.98, 1.00, 1.03, etc.  Those are good street choices. 

Some guys go stiffer but I'm not a fan of that on a street car.  Stiffer chassis springs are like bigger camshafts.  It's good in moderation, but there is a tendency to overdo it.   

Back N Black

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on September 14, 2021, 11:47:25 PM

If you have stock T-bars?  Yeah, put bigger ones in there. 

I prefer soft corner springs on cars in general.  But the front T-bars came a little too soft from the factory, everybody agrees on that now.  (BTW, the staggered rear leaf springs on factory R/Ts were NOT too soft.  They were arguably too stiff, if anything.) 

B-body torsion bar sizing: 
The stiffness of a torsion bar goes up dramatically as it gets bigger.  It doesn't take twice the bar diameter to get twice the stiffness.    

stock base Coronet (slant/318):   0.88
stock base Charger (318/383):    0.90
stock R/T (440/Hemi):                0.92

Today they make sizes like  0.96, 0.98, 1.00, 1.03, etc.  Those are good street choices. 

Some guys go stiffer but I'm not a fan of that on a street car.  Stiffer chassis springs are like bigger camshafts.  It's good in moderation, but there is a tendency to overdo it.   

Thanks, great info.