News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Was my car born with a vinyl roof

Started by WestWeires, September 22, 2021, 09:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WestWeires

Hello to everyone,

This is my first post on the forum.

I have copies of the broadcast sheet and original fender tag for a 1968 Charger I have a deposit on, but both are in rough shape and missing the sections that tell whether my car had a vinyl (black) roof or not.  The seller says he believes it came with one as there were black fragments some how left on the roof prior to his restoration of it.  There is no early owner history of the car available.

My trim code is FF1 (F-light green metallic roof, F-light green metallic body and 1-monotone).  Does light green metallic roof or monotone mean it did not come with a vinyl roof or is this no indication one way or another?  I've had seen one other 1968 Charger broadcast sheet with code PP1 (red-red-monotone) that did show a vinyl roof code (30-6).

Thanks for everyone's input in advance. 

AKcharger

Welcome!
Would need More info to be certin, top came with all color combos and we popular back in the day. A few things to look for:
- Does it have chrome trim around the base of the roof or are there holes?
- The broadcast Sheet SHOULD show it but I know 69 codes were diffrent than 69-74
If you can get in side the car thought the truck looking up at the C-panels you'll  be able to see if it had holes for trim and were covered up

cheers!

ODZKing

I believe vinyl roof would be on the build sheet at V1* (something depending on code that year.) I am fairly certain V19 is vinyl roof delete. Other folks with 68s could tell you more  :popcrn:

69CoronetRT

Quote from: ODZKing on September 23, 2021, 09:48:56 AM
I believe vinyl roof would be on the build sheet at V1* (something depending on code that year.) I am fairly certain V19 is vinyl roof delete. Other folks with 68s could tell you more  :popcrn:

The letter and two digit code (V1*) starts in 69
The 68 vinyl top code is 30*

Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

WestWeires

Thanks guys, I will look for the holes as the section of the broadcast sheet that shows the vinyl roof code is torn away and completely missing.

JimShine

If you have the factory quarters, and have lead filled rear quarter seams, it was most likely a factory non-vinyl top car. If it has body filler, it was most likely a vinyl top car. Another thing to look at might be to get up inside the trunk and look for welded or filled vinyl top trim holes along the bottom of sail panels.

A383Wing

is there no remnants of vinyl top material under the front or rear window chrome trim? Or, under the side gutter trim chrome?

WestWeires

Thanks for the information everyone.  After checking for all the tells, I am satisfied it actually came with a vinyl roof.