News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Adding a Console to my 4-spd 68 R/T

Started by Starsky, September 18, 2021, 10:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Starsky

Having sat on my 68 R/T for a long time, I am going down the road of a full restoration, great fun - but lots of challenges too.

My car is a factory 4-spd, no console, and has the Hurst factory shifter (built 2nd half of the 68 year).

I would very much like to turn it into a console car, and am looking for some advice from the old pros on here.

I have had a look around online and have worked out, that to get something that I will be happy with (i.e. all of the parts in 'like new' condition) I am going to have to basically buy around at least 14 different items to get everything I need to just have the console, my list below.

(Shell, Console Carpet, Courtesy Light/Lenses Set, Console Door, Door Mounting Strips and Lock Catch, Door Hinge, Door Lock, Mounting Bracket Set, Rear Console Trim Plate Mounting Bracket, Rear Console Trim Plate, 4-spd Console Cover, Console Trim Clip Set, Console Top Plate, Chrome Rear Console Trim).

All of this is available reproduction new, which is great.  My questions are:

1. I don't think any of these items come with fixings such as screws etc, is this something I should be looking for in a set?  Or just work something out when putting it all together?  I am looking for a 100% stock finished look when I am done.
2. Wiring - obviously my car doesn't have console wiring, so that will need to be added.  Is there an easy option here?  Or does it have to be manually added?
3. The shifter - as I understand it, factory console 4-spd cars came with a sort of 'bent arm' type of shifter, which is different to the factory Hurst one that I have.  Is that available anywhere?  Will I need anything else to make that shifter work with my stock transmission (i.e. are the couplings/linkages different etc?).
4. Am I missing anything?  Or is there anything else I should know before going down this road?

Thank you all for any help you can provide, a full restoration is quite a daunting job for me, but it's going well so far, (about 25% through) and looking forward to getting it all done and enjoying (and sharing) the result.

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Alaskan_TA

Why spend money to add extra weight, squeaks and rattles?

4-speed non-console cars are awesome.  :cheers:

JimShine

Quote from: Starsky on September 18, 2021, 10:46:31 PM

2. Wiring - obviously my car doesn't have console wiring, so that will need to be added.  Is there an easy option here?  Or does it have to be manually added?

Yeah, it is easy if you can get a OEM style console harness. It plugs in to your main wire harness. All of the provisions for it are in the harness you have. Being an accessories circuit, it plugs in to the main harness with no mods required.