News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fuel Sending Unit

Started by moonlithaven, September 19, 2021, 11:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moonlithaven

I'm looking for some help on getting a good, reliable, accurate, fuel sending unit, prefer made in America, for my fuel tank on my '69 Charger Daytona. It seems like what's available out there is all made in Japan cheap crap, and everyone selling the same thing. My situation is that I must have a half inch diameter fuel sending unit. John Arruzza installed a 517 hemi in my Daytona and has actually run a larger than factory stock half inch fuel line to the tank. OEM stock replacement is not an option, even if I could find an OEM fuel sending unit which I can't. Would appreciate any suggestions on a good reliable supplier that would offer the best unit available in half inch diameter. I already bought one from Classic Industries, completely finished the installation, and my fuel gauge still doesn't work. Yes I've done performed all the diagnostics, installed brand new ground strap, new tank new lines, everything's new. When I ground the Daytona's blue factory grounding wire to a good solid ground the fuel gauge works and reads completely full, just like it should. I don't see that there is a fuel gauge or wiring problem. Need a good source to buy the best possible and closest to OEM fuel sending unit I can. Thanks for any help I can get.
T-5 Copper Daytona

A383Wing

if you have your original unit, or have access to pick up one, contact this company.... https://www.antiqueinstrument.com/

the aftermarket units are not calibrated correctly

Bryan

moonlithaven

Quote from: A383Wing on September 19, 2021, 01:20:17 PM
if you have your original unit, or have access to pick up one, contact this company.... https://www.antiqueinstrument.com/

the aftermarket units are not calibrated correctly

Bryan
Thank you very much Bryan. Appreciate your reply!
T-5 Copper Daytona

moonlithaven

T-5 Copper Daytona

b5blue

I cut my sender wire behind the kick panel and tapped 12+ off the fuse block. With long wires I could leave the unit on the dash for calibration.   :2thumbs:

Mike DC

I don't know of a reproduction fuel sender that works.  They all come with GM/Ford type electrical windings and don't read right.  You may be able to get correct readings at full & empty, but not in between. 

b5blue

Metermatch allows non linear settings at 4 points.  :2thumbs:

Mike DC

QuoteMetermatch allows non linear settings at 4 points.

Oh, nice.   

moonlithaven

Quote from: b5blue on September 20, 2021, 05:57:28 PM
I cut my sender wire behind the kick panel and tapped 12+ off the fuse block. With long wires I could leave the unit on the dash for calibration.   :2thumbs:
Thanks again. Only I'm sorry but could you explain in a little more detail? I assume you are talking about calibrating the fuel gauge sending unit and not the fuel gauge itself right? What do you mean by tapped 12+ off the fuse block?
T-5 Copper Daytona

moonlithaven

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on September 20, 2021, 06:13:26 PM

Thanks for your response Mike DC. I don't know of a reproduction fuel sender that works.  They all come with GM/Ford type electrical windings and don't read right.  You may be able to get correct readings at full & empty, but not in between. Thank you Mike DC. That is what I have heard. I don't know why we just couldn't make a similar OEM style reproduction fuel tank sending unit here in the USA, that is more dependable than the factory one made 52 years ago!
T-5 Copper Daytona

moonlithaven

Quote from: b5blue on September 20, 2021, 09:07:42 PM
Metermatch allows non linear settings at 4 points.  :2thumbs:
Well this sounds interesting but I have to admit I am not a very technically savvy person. I really don't know what you are referring to. I have never heard of Metermatch and don't know what that is. Also the non linear setting at 4 points, I have no idea what that is either. I assume maybe a test meter of some kind? It really sounds like you know way more about this fuel tank sending unit problem than I do. Would you please explain a little more in layman's terms? I'm really looking for some help here. I would really appreciate it.
T-5 Copper Daytona

moonlithaven

Quote from: b5blue on September 19, 2021, 05:19:18 PM
I used this:  https://www.technoversions.com/MeterMatch.html
Thanks b5blue. I guess I need to check out this website! Appreciate the information.
T-5 Copper Daytona

b5blue

Sorry I missed your request. The link has a video in it and instructions. (I found this from the C body forum's posts.)