News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What do you carry for spare parts?

Started by Back N Black, September 23, 2021, 06:58:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Back N Black

So, what do you carry in your trunk for spare parts? I know there are quite a few people that don't carry any spares. I have a friend that don't even carry a spare tire or any tools at all. His answer is I have Triple A. I have Triple A also, but I carry spare parts. I'm a little extreme but this is what I have in my trunk.
Toolbox
Ballast resistor
Voltage regulator
Orange box
Starter relay
Fusable link
Headlights (H4)
Booster cables
Complete distributor
Different gauge wire
Booster pack.
I never break down but have helped many people on the side of the road.

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

b5blue

Kern Dog

Kern Dog

The only segment of my car that has proven to be problem is the ignition system. Sometimes randomly the car just spins and won't fire. I can walk away from it and try later and it starts right up. Usually this indicates a loose connection somewhere but if that were the case, the car should shut off when I'm out hammering on it. It never does that though.
Regarding the point at hand....I carry a spare distributor-ECM-Ballast and coil.

RallyeMike

Local only, I usually just rely on a small tool box, cell phone, and AAA.

Farther than local I add a box that I transfer from car to car with: Ballast resistor, voltage regulator, orange box, different gauge wire, booster cables, hose clamps, small assortment of nuts and bolts, spare plug wire, cap & rotor, small electric in-line fuel pump, short sections of fuel line, zip ties, and bailing wire. I see no need to carry a starter relay since they are so easy to jump.

For cross-country trips I have also added a spare alternator, starter, and distributor. You can't count on auto parts stores having this stuff on hand anymore.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

cdr

Quote from: Kern Dog on September 23, 2021, 11:12:29 PM
Quote from: cdr on September 23, 2021, 08:09:20 PM

:2thumbs:

I have my Glock but I defer to your bigger, badder weapon!

Most of the time I carry my Ruger LCPII .380, I also have a 2 Glocks .45 & 9mm
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

Back N Black

Its crazy to me that you can carry a hand gun in your vehicle. In Canada you can transport your hand gun to the range with special permission. :slap:

Aero426

cdr

Quote from: Back N Black on September 24, 2021, 11:07:15 AM
Its crazy to me that you can carry a hand gun in your vehicle. In Canada you can transport your hand gun to the range with special permission. :slap:

I can & do carry on me, Texas also just past Constitutional carry

John_Kunkel

Murphy is the determining factor here, you can be sure that whatever spares you carry they won't help the problem.

Just carry a towing card and a credit card...takes up less room.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

birdsandbees

2 pocket knifes (one with tip broken = slotted screw driver), a ballast, coil and a set of points. Have never needed more than the pocket knife to get me home in my 44 years of driving the Bee.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

HeavyFuel

My memory is getting so bad that If I packed the spare electrical components, I'd better pack a printed trouble shooting guide as well.

b5blue

When I called to order an FSM for my XJ Cherokee it was much cheaper for the digital but I told the guy I can't read that on the side of the road when I broke down.  :lol:

lloyd3

I used to carry alot more spares (when these cars were everyday drivers) but now it's pretty minimal.  A set of points and a credit card mostly covers it now. I suppose I could carry a gun if I wanted but....I've never felt that threatened here. That could all change I suppose and it's sure nice knowing that I could if I so choose. I'm a firm believer in the motto of an armed society being a polite society. 

426HemiChick

Quote from: lloyd3 on October 29, 2021, 09:42:44 AM
I used to carry alot more spares (when these cars were everyday drivers) but now it's pretty minimal.  A set of points and a credit card mostly covers it now. I suppose I could carry a gun if I wanted but....I've never felt that threatened here. That could all change I suppose and it's sure nice knowing that I could if I so choose. I'm a firm believer in the motto of an armed society being a polite society.  

Hi Lloyd,                   30 October 2021

"I'm a firm believer in the motto of an armed society being a polite society." - 100% agree.

If you've ever been to a gun show we're sure you noticed how polite everyone is. Most that are there are armed, including us.

Another motto from long ago: "Better to be caught alive with it than dead without it."

Things are a changing . . . . and not for the better. Elections have consequences.

If'n you decide to carry, it should be something that will stop em with a single round, minimum .357. A wheel gun is the most reliable but also the most difficult to (re)load. Nice to have a .45 semi and a couple extra loaded mags as backup. Can't have too many.

A credit card and a AAA membership has come in real handy for us. Haulin tools is fine and some small parts that don't consume too much space. Transmissions and third members are way overboard.

Two of the biggest problems we ever had were the 69 SB 6-PK, which had a major valve problem when it had about 10 miles on the clock; required a tow back to the dealer.

The next big one was on a trip to Ohio while passing a truck in West Memphis Arkansas; rocks fell off the trailer and went through our radiator, unbeknownst to us at the time.

While crossing the Mississippi the car started running rough. Looked at the gauges, the temp needle was no where to be seen. Once into Memphis found a place to pull over on I-40. Popped the hood, everything was wet with steam pouring out to where we couldn't see squat (about midnight).

After it cooled off enough took our flashlight and had another peek under the hood. A hole through the radiator that looked like a couple rounds from a 12 Gauge had played with it. Triple A to the rescue.

Take Care

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court