News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Torque converter for 727

Started by Tuco, September 23, 2021, 08:25:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuco

My tranny was puking fluid from the bell housing so I pulled it out and took it to the shop.  The torque converter had a couple weights welded on that looked like Fred Flintstone did the work.  The shop said that the TC shook the bearings loose on the pump and blew them out.  My question now is what TC should go back into a stock built 440?

We can't find any identifying numbers on the TC. Not sure what to replace it with.  Any help???

Thanks.

b5blue

Mopar 145K would be stock for a forged crank 4BBL so anything equivalent. (19 to 21 stall.)   :scratchchin:

Worker Bee

What year vehicle are you working on?
If this is not the original motor, what year is the motor?
What is the transmission part number stamped on the drivers side just above the pan?...starts with PK
Pics of the converter top and bottom would help.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Tuco on September 23, 2021, 08:25:43 PM
The shop said that the TC shook the bearings loose on the pump and blew them out. 

Did you notice any vibration? If not, I'd suspect that shop's evaluation, the bushing/seal wear could just be mile related and no converter replacement is needed.

If your engine/crankshaft combo doesn't require external balance and the converter has weights you would probably feel vibrations. If it does require external weight, the quality of the welding isn't really an issue. More info is needed.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Tuco

Sorry, I guess I didn't give any information.

I purchased the car about 3months ago. It was not running.

The car is a 69 Charger that sat in storage for 20+ years. Non original motor but a 69 440.  Not original tranny.  Trans number is PK3410868L  3021  2391
After getting it running again I went down the road about 1/4 mi and back to the shop.  It was slipping bad on the short test run. Got in the shop and it was leaking out of the bell housing.

As for the slipping, it may not have had enough fluid. I had changed out the filter and cork gasket that was leaking. When I filled it I was not aware that it is supposed to be in neutral. The torque converter has a slight ridge on the snout.

I'll try to post pics of the tc. Thanks.

Mytur Binsdirti

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Tuco on September 29, 2021, 09:10:50 AM

The car is a 69 Charger that sat in storage for 20+ years. Non original motor but a 69 440.  Not original tranny.  Trans number is PK3410868L  3021  2391

The number is probably 3410668 which is from a 1970 383-4 engine. A '69 440 has a forged crank which needs no external balance weights on the converter.

Either the weighted converter was installed in error or the crankshaft was replaced with a cast crank. The weights installed are typical of cast crank weights. Look at the front damper to be sure. The vibration caused by an improper weighted convert probably wouldn't be noticed on a short drive.

Kern Dog

I know that we should keep an open mind for other people's sensitivities but alcohol poisoning among transsexuals is a topic best left to oneself.

Worker Bee

Tuco

The damper is a bullet nose type which says the crank is probably cast.  Correct?

John_Kunkel

If it looks like this, yes, it's cast.

Tuco

Finally got to the point where I could test drive the Charger.  Sure enough there is a noticeable vibration.  The shop sold me a non balanced torque converter and a flex plate that matched.  I think they were assuming the engine was original since this was a bench job.

The engine in the car is stamped 69 but it is not the original. Whoever built it must have used a cast crank because the damper is the bullet nose type.  That's assuming they knew what they were doing.

So now my question is what specs do I need to order the correct torque converter?  And who would be a good source?

Tuco

5blue.  Thanks for the info.  I missed it somehow.

So this flex plate should solve my problem?  Sounds like that's what it's for.

A lot cheaper than a new TC.