News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Warbirds have the same issues.

Started by b5blue, October 02, 2021, 08:52:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spoolinhard

As someone who is a huge WW2 aviation buff:
After ww2, the US was ready to leave the war in the past. War weary aircraft littered graveyards in the thousands. (Search kingman, AZ and Atlus). Little thought was put towards preservation for future generations. The large majority met their end at the hands of scrappers shortly after the war. The remaining aircraft were predominantly factory fresh examples that found use in the civilian market. Those were used up and salvaged as well. The majority of the remaining aircraft survived through quarks of fate. They have mostly been restored and are in museums. That leaves unrecovered wrecks. Not allot of those as the viable ones have mostly been recovered. The historic significance of the wrecks are greater than personal opinion-imo ;).I would gladly look at a wreck rebuilt with new structure, than not look at anything at all. Not many people care to learn about the past. I will take it any way I can get it.

Also, a warplane and a production vehicle are not comparable in historical significance.

For example of what can be accomplished with new structure rebuild, check out the restoration of b-17e my gal sal, b-17g city of Savannah, or b-17e desert rat.

426HemiChick

Quote from: spoolinhard on October 17, 2021, 06:41:12 AM
As someone who is a huge WW2 aviation buff:
After ww2, the US was ready to leave the war in the past. War weary aircraft littered graveyards in the thousands. (Search kingman, AZ and Atlus). Little thought was put towards preservation for future generations. The large majority met their end at the hands of scrappers shortly after the war. The remaining aircraft were predominantly factory fresh examples that found use in the civilian market. Those were used up and salvaged as well. The majority of the remaining aircraft survived through quarks of fate. They have mostly been restored and are in museums. That leaves unrecovered wrecks. Not allot of those as the viable ones have mostly been recovered. The historic significance of the wrecks are greater than personal opinion-imo ;).I would gladly look at a wreck rebuilt with new structure, than not look at anything at all. Not many people care to learn about the past. I will take it any way I can get it.

Also, a warplane and a production vehicle are not comparable in historical significance.

For example of what can be accomplished with new structure rebuild, check out the restoration of b-17e my gal sal, b-17g city of Savannah, or b-17e desert rat.

Hi spoolinhard,             21 October 2021

All we can add is: Remember Fort Worth's Doc Hospers' B-17G "Chuckie" now "Madras Maiden" at the "Military Aircraft Museum" in Virginia Beach, VA and "Amen !!!"

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court