News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Searching for a Wing car

Started by Pinballjim, October 12, 2021, 07:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pinballjim

Hello all. 

I am usually on the FBBO forum and I'm looking for a wing car.  On that forum, they suggested I post a WTB ad here so here we go.  I don't think i can afford a Daytona so I am focusing on a Superbird (although I'd certainly consider a Daytona).  I'd like a #3 car that I can drive.  I'm looking for a #'s matching car but if something like an alternator has been replaced, I'm not too concerned.  If the belts and hoses are not correct, I'm OK with that.  What I do not want is a clone or a non numbers matching car.  I think that a 440-4 automatic would fit my budget best but I'm open to any engine/trans combo.  Color is not that important to me but it seems that every car I see is Tor-red.  Of course LImelight Green would be my first choice....

Should anyone happen to know of, hear of, or even think of a car available for sale, PLEASE contact me at; Pinballjim@verizon.net   I have the username xlr8 on FBBO and I can be contacted there too.

Thanks for listening!!

Jim - Pinballjim       

RSI700VIPER

69 V2 Daytona 440 4-Speed 3.54 Dana
70 FJ5 Superbird 440+6 4-Speed 3.54 Dana
69 Talladega Torino 428 CJ
69 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler II Gurney Special
70 T6 Challenger T/A 4-speed
70 V2 Challenger R/T 440 Six Pack 4-speed
71 FC7 Challenger Vert Flemington Speedway Pace Car
71 V2 Challenger RT Formal Roof w/ V2 Stripe & Houndstooth

WestWeires

Jay Soneff at Soneff's Master Garage in Denver, Colorado has a Superbird in some shade of orange (it was in a poorly lit storage area).

I'm pretty sure it's a 440 and probably a torqueflite.

As I recall I was told it's a survivor.  So it's in rough shape but when I saw it a month ago it was in one piece.

I'm not sure what his plans are for the car, be it full restoration, just make drive-able, or sell as is.

I heard them say that one like it recently sold for $250,000 at auction. 

Jay was good to work with, although I failed to ultimately find the right 1968 Charger for me there.

70 sublime

Quote from: WestWeires on October 12, 2021, 08:51:06 PM
Jay Soneff at Soneff's Master Garage in Denver, Colorado has a Superbird in some shade of orange (it was in a poorly lit storage area).

I'm pretty sure it's a 440 and probably a torqueflite.

As I recall I was told it's a survivor.  So it's in rough shape but when I saw it a month ago it was in one piece.

I'm not sure what his plans are for the car, be it full restoration, just make drive-able, or sell as is.

I heard them say that one like it recently sold for $250,000 at auction. 

Jay was good to work with, although I failed to ultimately find the right 1968 Charger for me there.

It is listed on their web site for $250 000

https://www.soneffs.com/product-page/1970-plymouth-superbird
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Pinballjim

Quote from: RSI700VIPER on October 12, 2021, 07:30:45 PM
Jim - What's your budget?

Sorry, I didn't discuss budget on purpose.  I'm not comfortable talking actual figures in a public forum.   Of course the numbers will change depending on condition.  I have no intention of paying 200k for a driver condition car (or for any other car for that matter).  I've been around old cars for over 40 years.  I've met some really good people during that time.  I've met some real snakes as well so I'm sure you understand my apprehension to disclose actual figures.  I'll say this, I've saved a good sized pile of cash.   At some point, I can't JUSTIFY driving a car worth X amount down the road (no matter how much insurance is involved).  I already have cars that I'm afraid to drive.  I love them but can't JUSTIFY driving them down the road.  A nice paint job on a fenderless hot rod is foolish.  I'm a fool.  Most of my other cars are drivers.  They're not perfect and as a result, I can drive them and enjoy them without guilt.  Will I drive a wing car everyday?  Of course not.  Will I drive it to cruise nights and an occasional Sunday drive?  Well, that's the plan.... 

Thanks to everyone who read this post and especially to anyone who can offer advice, help or tips!!!

70 sublime

I feel the same way as you
There is a point where too much $$ is too much to make it fun t drive
I too always dreamed of owning and driving a true wing car
Now at the point in my life I could buy one if I really wanted to
Think I am going to continue on building a clone
Will get so much more enjoyment out of it because it will get driven every day
Sit at the local burger joint eating lunch with my drink cup sitting on the front fender ......
Everyone that will see it will assume it is real  ;)
Can also have 2 or 3 neat cars than just one really really neat car too

Good luck with your search
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Pinballjim

Quote from: 70 sublime on October 13, 2021, 05:34:20 AM
Sit at the local burger joint eating lunch with my drink cup sitting on the front fender ......

Certainly nothing wrong with a tribute car as long as it's not misrepresented when it's sold.    I've looked at a LOT of cars for a lot of people.  It's sad to see how many 442s and Z28s that were regular Camaros and Cutlass' but being sold at top dollar because of a few dishonest people.    Dishonesty REALLY pisses me off  and I'll go out of my way to embarrass someone who's trying to pull a fast one.  That's what I meant by meeting some snakes.   They're out there in every hobby weather it's cars or sports cards or pinball machines.

The nice thing about a tribute car is (as you pointed out) it can be used as a regular car.   There's freedom in that.   In the hot rod world, some guys bad mouth a fiberglass 32 Ford because it's not real.  In my mind, a real 32 that isn't used because it might get damaged is far worse than a glass car that is seen and enjoyed by many. 

To each their own but that's how I feel.    Thanks for the support!   I WILL get a car.    It may kill me, but I'll get one!!!

Mytur Binsdirti

Pinballjim

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on October 13, 2021, 08:12:08 AM
Here's a nice blue/blue driver quality Daytona for 347.5 large....

https://www.cars-on-line.com/gen3-cars/col1/posting/102373

Nice car but I'm not driving a 350k car on today's streets when an $800 Saturn being driven the other way by some kid can take it out while texting his friends.   

66FBCharger

Just curious, what range would a driver quality, matching number Superbird be valued at? I know condition makes a huge difference.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

WINGMAN

A buddy of mine sold a #3 Daytona in July for 170 K.  I bet it will be hard to find one much under that.  :icon_smile_big:  9 Wingman)   Jay.
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

aerolith

Welcome Jim.

You picked a bad time to buy a Wingcar methinks?

This could be the 'end of an era' or maybe the start of the 'mega prices' for Wingcars?

Most of us have 'given up the Wingcar dream', as we know its not gonna happen... :scratchchin:
Back when they was $5000 drivers and then $5000 basket cases is well and truly over lol... :slap:

Anyways, hope you find what you are looking for at a price you can afford... :2thumbs:

For the rest of us its 318 Chargers 'AT BEST'... :'( :'( :'(

ps, I still have my Charger 500 as the 'new owner' has gone AWOL? :slap:
Maybe I asked TOO little at $42,000, as I think its $50,000 now... :smilielol:
(Numbers matchin and a free 1968 hemi 426) if he gives me his 70 Sixpack Challenger... :pity:
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Pinballjim on October 13, 2021, 09:26:26 AM

Nice car but I'm not driving a 350k car on today's streets when an $800 Saturn being driven the other way by some kid can take it out while texting his friends.   

In that case here's something that you don't have to worry so much about.....

hemi-hampton

how much did this one sell for :scratchchin:

Pinballjim

Quote from: aerolith on October 13, 2021, 01:24:47 PM
Welcome Jim.

You picked a bad time to buy a Wingcar methinks?

This could be the 'end of an era' or maybe the start of the 'mega prices' for Wingcars?

Most of us have 'given up the Wingcar dream', as we know its not gonna happen... :scratchchin:
Back when they was $5000 drivers and then $5000 basket cases is well and truly over lol... :slap:

Anyways, hope you find what you are looking for at a price you can afford... :2thumbs:

For the rest of us its 318 Chargers 'AT BEST'... :'( :'( :'(

ps, I still have my Charger 500 as the 'new owner' has gone AWOL? :slap:
Maybe I asked TOO little at $42,000, as I think its $50,000 now... :smilielol:
(Numbers matchin and a free 1968 hemi 426) if he gives me his 70 Sixpack Challenger... :pity:

I'm chasing two local cars.  The owners 'want to sell" until it gets real.   Then they have second thoughts.  Neither seems overly motivated to make a move.  I speak with them regularly and even if they never sell their cars, they're interesting to talk to.  The one guy in particular is a walking encylopedia of local knowledge.   Every time I speak with him, I learn a new little tidbit of trivia.    He tells me he hopes I end up with his car.   He says I can buy his car from his wife when he dies.  He's convinced he's only going to be around for a few more years.  I can't wait forever and I may die before him!!  No matter what happens, he's a neat guy!! 

birdsandbees

That's what insurance is for. I drive my Superbird all over the place, insured for $175K and for the $1100/yr insurance costs I won't get real upset if she gets T boned in an intersection, but then again I only paid $18K for mine...  :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

hotrod98

My birds not a matching numbers car. I've decided to sell it. Just haven't had the time to list it. It's the bird known as Black Ice. 440, 4 speed, dana, black buckets, non console. Has a six barrel setup and a custom air grabber hood. Was originally yellow. Was painted black in the late 80's or early 90's. Great driving car. Was in west Texas and LA most of its life. Super solid car. I'm asking 105K. Fun car to drive. I'm 65 now and need to finish up a couple of other cars while my health is still good. The fender tag and body numbers all match. I'm the third registered owner. Jim Radke had it for a while in the mid 80's. If you guys know of anyone I can send some detailed pics. I can be reached at hotrodcuda98@hotmail.com. Larry Roper

Sold my bird on 10/15/21. Going to new home.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Pinballjim

Quote from: hotrod98 on October 13, 2021, 11:02:00 PM
My birds not a matching numbers car. I've decided to sell it. Just haven't had the time to list it. It's the bird known as Black Ice. 440, 4 speed, dana, black buckets, non console. Has a six barrel setup and a custom air grabber hood. Was originally yellow. Was painted black in the late 80's or early 90's. Great driving car. Was in west Texas and LA most of its life. Super solid car. I'm asking 105K. Fun car to drive. I'm 65 now and need to finish up a couple of other cars while my health is still good. The fender tag and body numbers all match. I'm the third registered owner. Jim Radke had it for a while in the mid 80's. If you guys know of anyone I can send some detailed pics. I can be reached at hotrodcuda98@hotmail.com. Larry Roper

Larry,

Please contact me at Pinballjim@verizon.net.  I'd like to see some pictures.

Thanks,

Jim

66FBCharger

Quote from: WINGMAN on October 13, 2021, 01:09:45 PM
   A buddy of mine sold a #3 Daytona in July for 170 K.  I bet it will be hard to find one much under that.  :icon_smile_big:  9 Wingman)   Jay.
Thanks Wingman.
I don't follow the wingcar pricing. I was thinking a Super Bird driver was 125k-150k.
So what's a driver quality Daytona go for?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Pinballjim

Quote from: birdsandbees on October 13, 2021, 08:27:22 PM

That's what insurance is for. I drive my Superbird all over the place, insured for $175K and for the $1100/yr insurance costs I won't get real upset if she gets T boned in an intersection, but then again I only paid $18K for mine...  :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:

I understand.   This is not my first rodeo. If I paid 18k for a wing car and had it insured for 175k, I'd drive it too.   That will not be the case in my situation.    I will likely have much closer to the actual insured value of the car as opposed to 18k.    Like previously mentioned, at some point I just can't JUSTIFY the cost.  I have other cars that I bought when they were not worth what they are now (much like your bird).   I drive them quite often. 

KurtfromLaQuinta

Quote from: 70 sublime on October 13, 2021, 05:34:20 AM

I concur.

billssuperbird

Tribute wing  car car is not a bad idea

Pinballjim

Quote from: billssuperbird on October 14, 2021, 10:45:27 AM
Tribute wing  car car is not a bad idea

Wow.  Very nice car.  As stated above, there's nothing wrong with a tribute car.  For me, it has to be real.   If I had a tribute car, I would feel like I'm lying to myself.  I completely understand there's real freedom in a clone car.  It can be driven and thoroughly abused with zero guilt.  That's cool.  I'm going to DIE with the car I choose i it's gotta be real.  Let's call it a retirement gift to myself.  My wife will want to auction off a real car.    Just an FYI, she WILL have an auction when I go.  Make sure you all get to it.   There's gonna be some cool stuff there!!   

426HemiChick

Quote from: hemi-hampton on October 13, 2021, 04:55:23 PM
how much did this one sell for :scratchchin:

Hi Folks,               14 October 2021

If the Dashboard Vin tag and the Fender tag are all intact and there's a salvageable piece of the car available, probably $100K. The buyer could "rightfully" claim it as a "Major Restoration."

If none of the above, whatever the owner is willing to pay to have it hauled off.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court