News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Searching for a Wing car

Started by Pinballjim, October 12, 2021, 07:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aerolith

CHIN-UP Pinball.

''Everything comes to those who wait''.

There will be a time when folks 'won't want them' and prices will crash! :woohoo:

Some folks will never sell and only once they have 'passed' the car will be available... :angelwing:

I seem to have a different problem?

Folks are queueing up to buy my C500 and when it comes to 'handing over the cash' they disappear... :dance:

If this carries on, I will have to keep her and 'do a NICK' the last 500 resto 'EVER'...(for me anyways)
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

Pinballjim

Aero -

THANKS for saying in public what I've been saying and thinking privately for quite some time now.  My generation (I'm 56) is probably the last that has actual living memory of these cars.  So the question has to be asked -  Who will be the next guys to buy these cars?  The generation behind me (let's say 30 y/o folks) are more interested in European or Japanese cars.  The generation behind them are even further removed from these cars (unless there happens to be one in the family).  Sure, some younger guys are still interested in them but overall, these cars will become yet another obscure footnote in automotive history.   I don't like it any more than any other diehard car guy but the writing is on the wall, all anyone has to do is read it.  Look at what is happening to the older 'milestone' cars.   32,36 and 40 Fords are cheaper than they've been in 20 years.  55-57 T-birds are almost cheap (realtively).  That wave will continue throughout the years - Chevys, Fords and yes, MoPars too.  The new and younger car collectors simply aren't interested in a car their grandfather used to talk about or own.  That car (be it a wing car or a Cuda convertible or whatever iconic car you can think of) by today's standards handles like a dump truck.  Next gen car guys would rather spend the same money on a Lamborghini with AWD and heated and cooled seats.

All of that said, I am still in.   To me, it's not about how much the cars may (or may not) be worth in the future.  I want one because of their rich history and the allure of a car that I've always wanted but could never quite reach.  I'm finally at the point where I can get one (not a HEMI car mind you but a 'regular' one) and it seems when I hear about one, it's either priced in a manner that is unrealistic or it's been sold.  I'm not looking to throw anyone under the bus.  I'm not looking to screw anyone out of their car.  I just want fairness and honesty.  I've said it before, the information and support on this forum (as well as FBBO) is impressive.  I thought I knew a good bit about these cars but I've learned so much more!!  I WILL get a wing car.   I swear!!!

Aero426

Quote from: Pinballjim on November 27, 2021, 01:43:04 PM
Aero -

THANKS for saying in public what I've been saying and thinking privately for quite some time now.  My generation (I'm 56) is probably the last that has actual living memory of these cars.  So the question has to be asked -  Who will be the next guys to buy these cars?  The generation behind me (let's say 30 y/o folks) are more interested in European or Japanese cars.  The generation behind them are even further removed from these cars (unless there happens to be one in the family).  Sure, some younger guys are still interested in them but overall, these cars will become yet another obscure footnote in automotive history.   I don't like it any more than any other diehard car guy but the writing is on the wall, all anyone has to do is read it.  Look at what is happening to the older 'milestone' cars.   32,36 and 40 Fords are cheaper than they've been in 20 years.  55-57 T-birds are almost cheap (realtively).  That wave will continue throughout the years - Chevys, Fords and yes, MoPars too.  The new and younger car collectors simply aren't interested in a car their grandfather used to talk about or own.  That car (be it a wing car or a Cuda convertible or whatever iconic car you can think of) by today's standards handles like a dump truck.  Next gen car guys would rather spend the same money on a Lamborghini with AWD and heated and cooled seats.

All of that said, I am still in.   To me, it's not about how much the cars may (or may not) be worth in the future.  I want one because of their rich history and the allure of a car that I've always wanted but could never quite reach.  I'm finally at the point where I can get one (not a HEMI car mind you but a 'regular' one) and it seems when I hear about one, it's either priced in a manner that is unrealistic or it's been sold.  I'm not looking to throw anyone under the bus.  I'm not looking to screw anyone out of their car.  I just want fairness and honesty.  I've said it before, the information and support on this forum (as well as FBBO) is impressive.  I thought I knew a good bit about these cars but I've learned so much more!!  I WILL get a wing car.   I swear!!!

Some good points.   Each generation wants the cool cars they grew up with.   I do feel that price moderation is possible on the more common muscle cars.     

That said, wing cars have something going for them that is enduring.    They are wild looking.    They make people of all ages stop and look.  And as muscle cars in general, they can be made to be user friendly.    In the case of Daytonas, compared to two seat T-Birds, we only have to have 375 buyers in the world who desire to want to own them.   That doesn't take a lot of effort to build demand.    The Superbirds still have "the look" and crowd stopping ability.     So while there may be some price ups and downs,  I don't see the huge crater due to generational change.   But more likely, a downward trend when the next financial crisis hits.    Everything is over priced right now.   

I had one of the wing cars in the driveway a couple weeks ago.   Two kids and their parents came by and stopped to talk.     The one boy had a Hot Wheels bike.  I made sure they went home with diecast cars. 

Pinballjim

Aero426 -

Very nice of you to help two little guys down the path of a lifetime of cars!!   It all starts a buck at a time.   First Hot Wheels and slot cars, then model kits, Schwinns, Dirt bikes, Go-carts.....  before ya know it, the paper route money isn't enough to cover the cost of your automotive addiction.  Ya start mowin lawns to earn a few more bucks and you learn pretty quickly if you want the cool stuff, you have to work for it.  I'm sure I've just described most guys childhood here. 

My wife and I don't have children and we're not much into kids.  Still, I go out of my way when a kid shows an interest in one of my cars.  They are the future of all this craziness.  The smile on their faces in your picture is priceless!  I'll bet years from now they'll say "Remember that guy who gave us those Hot Wheels?". 

I understand that the wing cars will never fall in value to the level of say a mid-60's mustang coupe.  They're very special cars for sure and will be in demand to those who know what they are and what they stood for.  Packards, Cords and Desotos were all special cars in their day too.  They were wild looking to the masses and to see one today is a special treat.  They are now worth a fraction of what they were "back in the day".   

Future value of the wing cars doesn't mean much to me, I won't be reselling mine so it's value is irrelevant.  I don't have children to leave my cars to so it doesn't really matter.  My wife can have an auction and sell it all after I die.  I suggest you all attend.....   

The first step is to find a suitable candidate!!!       

aerolith

I really feel for you Jim!

You would think someone in Moparland could have come forwards by now with an 'offer or two'?
But the Daytona market is small and even smaller for C500's... :leaving:

Sometimes 'stuff' is there and you don't want and/or need it, so you pass.

But the 'FUN is in the HUNT', the harder you work for it the MORE its worth to you... :patriot:

It will come, you mark my words and in the most odd and unusual way possible.

Some peeps don't even have a 'horse to flog' so if you have one 'to flog' then its a START! :horse:
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

69hemidaytona

Some old cars like 57 Chevy convertibles are at all time highs. It's hard to say what's going to happen but there are Trillions of new dollars floating around the economy and that money needs to go somewhere.

Pinballjim

Quote from: 69hemidaytona on November 30, 2021, 03:23:45 PM
Some old cars like 57 Chevy convertibles are at all time highs. It's hard to say what's going to happen but there are Trillions of new dollars floating around the economy and that money needs to go somewhere.

Some prices of some cars are up but what are the demographics of the buyers?  What's the average age group of of those buyers?   That brings up an interesting question.  Are there any statistics of the age groups of wing car owners?  That might be interesting.   I was discussing that privately with another member here.  What's the average age of the average wing car owner?   Maybe that should be a different thread...   Still, I think it would be interesting to know.....    

hemi-hampton

As for Age of Owners, wouldn't matter if the Wing Car Owner has owned the car 20 or 30 years compared to 2 or 3 years.  :shruggy:

Pinballjim

Quote from: hemi-hampton on November 30, 2021, 09:24:41 PM
As for Age of Owners, wouldn't matter if the Wing Car Owner has owned the car 20 or 30 years compared to 2 or 3 years.  :shruggy:

The reason I'm asking how long the cars have been owned is to get an idea of the age group of the folks buying/owning these cars.   What I'm seeing is people approximately my age (I'm 56) and older with these cars and they've had them for many years.  No one "young" (let's say early 30's) has responded yet.  That doesn't mean they aren't out there, it just means they haven't responded yet...   It's just interesting to me.     

70 sublime

I think the age thing and how long they have owned the cars  has to do more with the price of the cars themselves

Old people that have had the cars a long time were lucky enough to have bought them for 1/10 the price of what they are worth now and have managed to hang on to them all this time

Old people that have not had them very long are the ones with the spare cash to spend now as they are getting closer to retirement and the house is paid off and kids all moved out

I think very few young people will own one because very few of them will have the big bucks at this time to buy a wing car because of all the other life commitments they have 
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Aero426

Quote from: 70 sublime on December 01, 2021, 07:06:47 AM

I think very few young people will own one because very few of them will have the big bucks at this time to buy a wing car because of all the other life commitments they have  

Who are the people buying slightly out of the wrapper 1987 Buick GNX's for over $200k?   Three sales on Bring a Trailer in the last 90 days.   Yes, that's insane.    I don't think those are being bought by the old people.    There is some money out there.  

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1987-buick-grand-national-gnx-8/

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: Aero426 on December 01, 2021, 12:31:35 PM
Quote from: 70 sublime on December 01, 2021, 07:06:47 AM

Who are the people buying slightly out of the wrapper 1987 Buick GNX's for over $200k?   Three sales on Bring a Trailer in the last 90 days.   Yes, that's insane.    I don't think those are being bought by the old people.    There is some money out there.  

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1987-buick-grand-national-gnx-8/

Pfffft, those Buick people are cheapskates.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1949-dodge-power-wagon-8/

Impkidd

(Pfffft, those Buick people are cheapskates.)

:Twocents: Yeah, we are! I'm still driving my comfy '03 Park Ave Ultra with 295,500 miles to work, 108 miles a day round trip. All to save a car payment and putting towards a real 'Bird. (Reply by pm, hint-hint  :icon_smile_wink: )

aerolith

You get can fins on most things but not wings...
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

aerolith

Wing car envy can send some folks REAL crazy... :slap: :smilielol: ::)
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

Impkidd

Aerolith, I like it! New idea for my P.A. Ultra! Cruising to work, and thinking of the beach.

Quote from: aerolith on December 04, 2021, 10:10:12 AM
You get can fins on most things but not wings...

KurtfromLaQuinta

Moparpoolman

Do you have a bigger budget for a Daytona than a Bird? I know of a F6 Green Daytona that might be going up for sale if the right person came along :coolgleamA:

Pinballjim

Quote from: Moparpoolman on December 17, 2021, 03:55:37 PM
Do you have a bigger budget for a Daytona than a Bird? I know of a F6 Green Daytona that might be going up for sale if the right person came along :coolgleamA:

I will send you a private message in a few minutes.   

aerolith

F6 Daytona, now we are TALKING! :popcrn:

Hoovies Superbird will be up for sale real soon (and cheap) lol.

HNY from limey John
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

wingcarenvy

Pinballjim

Just an update, I still have not found a suitable car.  I'm close on one but it hinges on the purchase of another car on the sellers side.  I'm still looking.  I joined DSAC and received my first newsletter.  If anyone sees or hears about anything out there, I'd really appreciate the tip!!    Thanks!!

6PakBee

aerolith

Sell, sell, sell, the end of the world is coming!

Only joking guys, my new motto is ''LESS IS MORE''!

Share out the cars and the LOVE to fellow Mopar MEN!!! :pity: :pity: :pity:

You can only live in ONE house and drive only ONE CAR!!! :drive: :drive: :drive:
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

Pinballjim

That's good logic Aero....    I like your style!!