News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Best head gasket for aluminum big block heads?

Started by b5blue, October 17, 2021, 08:56:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

I'm overwhelmed with head gasket selection. I'll be installing my Sidewinder heads on a 73 short block so would like a thinner compressed thickness. Anyone with actual experience the opinion will be appreciated!
  Many ads don't even mention "compressed thickness" and even if asked in questions section don't answer just tell you how to measure and extrapolate. (I'd like to know before buying.) I'm not concerned horse power estimates as such, just the reliability aspect.  :scratchchin:

Challenger340

The FelPro 1009 is excellent quality and usually my first choice, I've used it many times for literally over a decade with zero problems, compressed at .039" advertised as 9.76 CC's for CR calcs on a 4.41" Bore which adds sealing capacity between the cylinders, albeit, it is relatively expensive ?

The Fel Pro 8519 is also quite popular ? Compressed also at .039" but advertised as 10.187 CC's for CR Calcs on a 4.505" Bore(less sealing meat between cylinders), and although I've only used it a few times myself more recently ? no problems to report thus far.

Given the 'main' problem with any composition Head Gasket over time..... is the "shearing" forces against the Gasket due to the difference expansion/contraction rates of the Aluminum Head on the Cast Iron Block ?
I tend to Note the amount of Gasket between Bores ? especially in the middle of the Block on Wedges where the Exhaust Ports are siamesed ? (High Heat = Expansion)...
the smaller 4.41" Bore 1009 Gasket being my preference when using Aluminum Heads on a Cast Iron Block when meeting/approaching 8.:1 DCR's on 91 Octane.

Hopes this helps and doesn't confuse the issue
Only wimps wear Bowties !

b5blue

cdr

Quote from: Challenger340 on October 17, 2021, 12:24:51 PM
The FelPro 1009 is excellent quality and usually my first choice, I've used it many times for literally over a decade with zero problems, compressed at .039" advertised as 9.76 CC's for CR calcs on a 4.41" Bore which adds sealing capacity between the cylinders, albeit, it is relatively expensive ?

The Fel Pro 8519 is also quite popular ? Compressed also at .039" but advertised as 10.187 CC's for CR Calcs on a 4.505" Bore(less sealing meat between cylinders), and although I've only used it a few times myself more recently ? no problems to report thus far.

Given the 'main' problem with any composition Head Gasket over time..... is the "shearing" forces against the Gasket due to the difference expansion/contraction rates of the Aluminum Head on the Cast Iron Block ?
I tend to Note the amount of Gasket between Bores ? especially in the middle of the Block on Wedges where the Exhaust Ports are siamesed ? (High Heat = Expansion)...
the smaller 4.41" Bore 1009 Gasket being my preference when using Aluminum Heads on a Cast Iron Block when meeting/approaching 8.:1 DCR's on 91 Octane.

Hopes this helps and doesn't confuse the issue

I will add that the 1009 gasket is a great gasket, but because of the smaller bore diameter of the 1009 you need to lay it on the cyl head & make sure it does not hang over into the combustion chamber or to close to the edge of it.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr