News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Crack in big block harmonic balancer?

Started by rikubot, November 06, 2021, 08:44:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rikubot

Just as I was about to finish sandblasting my balancer for my 440 I noticed two little cracks. It looks like it was either dropped or hit with a hammer at one point. I am pretty certain I didn't drop it when I removed it so it must have been fine while it was on the car. I'm currently doing new bearings and rings on the motor and going through it. It was low miles before I tore it down but I just wanted to go through it. My question is: Can I still run it? I really don't want to have to get a new one and get my whole rotating assembly re-balanced. Thanks in advance.

I can give the pieces a pretty good push with my fingers and don't see the crack widening, for what it's worth.

'69 Charger, 440/727

b5blue

rikubot

I think you're right B5. I believe I have a forged crank, so would that mean I could get away with a new balancer, maybe a liquid one? And not have to rebalance my entire rotating assembly?
'69 Charger, 440/727

A383Wing

looking at the front of the hub portion where it's on the crank snout.......looks like someone has hit this with a hammer to install it....bet they missed and hit the middle portion of the balancer a couple times

Nacho-RT74

Just an opinion: If you are hurry into the assembly I'd use it without problems while you find another one. It has survived all these years I bet will survive even more. Replace the dampener is easy and it can be done in the car.

Now, if you are not in a hurry, well, get a replacement while you are assembling is the best.

stock dampeners are not hard to find... yet. Just take care for up to 69 they got an asymmetrical bolt pattern and 70 and laters got symmetrical, SO get the correct one for the year. Pulley can be drilled thought to match it.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

John_Kunkel

Quote from: A383Wing on November 07, 2021, 02:44:47 PM
looking at the front of the hub portion where it's on the crank snout.......looks like someone has hit this with a hammer to install it....bet they missed and hit the middle portion of the balancer a couple times

:iagree:  As long as the fractured chunks don't fly off and affect the balance, there's no reason to replace it.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

b5blue

Quote from: rikubot on November 07, 2021, 12:43:20 PM
I think you're right B5. I believe I have a forged crank, so would that mean I could get away with a new balancer, maybe a liquid one? And not have to rebalance my entire rotating assembly?
I just bought a PRW 2344041 damper, fits every B/RB using adapters. I'd not risk the hell to pay if a chunk lets loose. Liquid would be a nice upgrade.  :2thumbs:

BSB67

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph