News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Timing gear position for first start up!

Started by Scooter67, November 08, 2021, 08:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scooter67

:shruggy:Hello everyone. I've got a stock 440 mid seventies block . stock rotating assembly, stock valvetrain and heads. the cam gear dot is at the 6'o clock position facing the crankshaft gear dot at 12 o clock position. Number one piston is at tdc on the compression stroke. Is this the correct position for initial startup? Other videos I've seen have said that both dots have to be at the 12 o clock position on the exhaust stroke. Can anyone help on this topic? Thanks in advance :D

John_Kunkel

Think about it, if the dots are facing each other at TDC #1 on the compression stroke and you turn the crank one revolution, the dots are both at 12 o'clock at TDC #1 on the exhaust stroke. IOW, one revolution of the crank is only a half-revolution of the cam, so either is correct.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

A383Wing

open up your service manual and find the "engine" section and follow the directions

Scooter67

I guess if everyone "opened their service manual and followed the directions .......half this site would not exist :icon_smile_angry:

A383Wing

Quote from: Scooter67 on November 09, 2021, 03:54:09 PM
I guess if everyone "opened their service manual and followed the directions .......half this site would not exist :icon_smile_angry:

Maybe...but you would get your answer faster instead of waiting around your computer all day....and how can you work on these cars without a service manual? Wait until you have to start diagnosing the electrical system or the dash lights

Scooter67

Your making two assumptions that are inaccurate. First off no one "waited around all day" for anything. I'm currently assembling a 67 charger in my leisure time which at the moment is few and far in between. The engine I'm assembling will not see the road for quite some time.
Second, I have many avenues to find out the answers to such questions. Two shop manuals and a cd for b body in that generation.
Third....I find it petty that you make comments such as "wait until you have to whatever" without a shop manual.
I was under the impression this site was for like minded car guys to swap information and"celebrate" dodge chargers. False assumptions and cocky judgements are not why i joined.
In the future I'd appreciate no comments from you.

b5blue

When someone has a chip on their shoulder I find it best to just ignore or you end up looping. Are you wanting to install the dizzy?  :scratchchin:

Scooter67

GreenMachine

Dot to dot is 180 degrees out, should be both at 12:00 (for #1). But the best way is to line up dot to dot and install the distributor 180 out (from #1) since it's easier to match the dots and the distributor is slotted and can only go in one way or the other.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.