News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 piston questions for the pros!

Started by rikubot, November 10, 2021, 12:21:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Challenger340

Quote from: rikubot on December 23, 2021, 11:26:12 PM
I ended up ordering that cam you recommended. I think it will be perfect for my build.

I got around to painting the block. I went with rattle-can VHT "Street Hemi Orange". I'm not sure how I feel about it. What do y'all think?

:2thumbs:
Looks good !

I think you will really ike that engine.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

rikubot

Thanks 340! And thanks a ton for your advice. I can't wait to get it back together.
'69 Charger, 440/727

whitehatspecial

:popcrn:

Doing a similar build, but progressing very slowly as parts are hard to come by. What are using for the intake and carb combo? Did you have the 440 heads reworked?
Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.

rikubot

Quote from: whitehatspecial on January 18, 2022, 07:28:11 AM

Doing a similar build, but progressing very slowly as parts are hard to come by. What are using for the intake and carb combo? Did you have the 440 heads reworked?

I was going with the edelbrock Performer RPM for the intake and haven't decided on the carb yet. I also ran out of money haha. I haven't had anything done to the heads just checked over. Gonna slap em right on there. What do you have going into yours?
'69 Charger, 440/727

whitehatspecial

So far the 1970 block has been bored .030 and the forged steel crank polished. Eagle H rods with Icon IC9953 pistons. A flat tappet hydraulic comp cam 21-224, Top line Johnson lifters.

The deck will be flush and we calculate 10:1 compression.

Down the road, Edelbrock 60929 84cc closed chamber headed (the engine shop will go through them), old school ductile adjustable rockers, TTI headers, RPM Performer intake with a Quick-fuel 750.
Cars owned:
1968 Dodge Charger, 48k orig. miles, family owned since new.
Not a Hemi, a mini-hemi 340.

Challenger340

Quote from: rikubot on January 19, 2022, 01:57:57 AM
Quote from: whitehatspecial on January 18, 2022, 07:28:11 AM

I was going with the edelbrock Performer RPM for the intake and haven't decided on the carb yet. I also ran out of money haha. I haven't had anything done to the heads just checked over. Gonna slap em right on there. What do you have going into yours?

The Edelbrock Performer rpm Intake may present Hood Clrc issues..... the use of at very least a drop base A/C will be req'd

The Holley Street Dominator 300-14 Intake is slightly superior for power, clears underhood in all applications, but unfortunately is currently unavailable.
similar to the above....
and "reported" to be also an easy underhood fit ?.... although I have not verified myself....
is the Edelbrock Torker 2 Intake Manifold sold under part #5091 which currently are still available

Edelbrock 60929 Heads are also still available at this time.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

rikubot

Quote from: whitehatspecial on January 19, 2022, 07:45:25 AM
So far the 1970 block has been bored .030 and the forged steel crank polished. Eagle H rods with Icon IC9953 pistons. A flat tappet hydraulic comp cam 21-224, Top line Johnson lifters.

The deck will be flush and we calculate 10:1 compression.

Down the road, Edelbrock 60929 84cc closed chamber headed (the engine shop will go through them), old school ductile adjustable rockers, TTI headers, RPM Performer intake with a Quick-fuel 750.

Very nice. I bet that one will run pretty good.
'69 Charger, 440/727

rikubot

@Challenger340,
I was afraid that might give me some fitment problems. I was going to go with a drop base and run a different air cleaner than factory but I recently learned that the factory cleaners don't restrict very much air flow at all for applications similar to mine. So, I'd like to run it again.

I really like that Street Dominator. Currently out of stock on Jeg's. I've done some looking for a used one but the only thing I could come up with was a piece of crap on Facebook the guy wanted $350 for. Looked like it came out of a lake.
Do you know if the Torker 2 will fit under the hood with the stock cleaner? I am not in a big hurry so if that Dominator comes back I'm stock in a couple months I'm willing to wait. I didn't think they still made that one.
'69 Charger, 440/727

b5blue

Consider a CH4B for that build. It fits under the hood even with a phonetic (SP?) spacer and factory dual snorkel air filter. I got mine from "Tony's".  :scratchchin:

rikubot

I will have to give that one a look. Thanks for the suggestion!

I'm getting ready to drop the crank in. Any suggestions on what type of assembly lube to use? The engine could be sitting up to six months. hopefully not but I would like to ere on the side of caution.
'69 Charger, 440/727