News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 Timing issue?

Started by JPL, November 15, 2021, 09:20:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPL

Hi all, I have a '71 Charger with a 440, .30 over, 906 heads, 268/454 comp cam, Holley 750 vac sec, electric fuel pump, 2800 stall converter, 4:30 gears. The issue is, when the car is warmed up, in gear, from idle, I push the gas pedal down about half way real quick and lift, the car will launch forward nicely, then it stalls. I can't time it with a timing gun because the tab on the timing cover is way off for some reason, I think it's from another motor during the rebuild. So, do you guys think this is a timing issue? If so, should it be advanced or retarted?
Thanks!

70 sublime

Does it have vacuum advance on distributor ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

JPL

Quote from: 70 sublime on November 15, 2021, 02:20:23 PM
Does it have vacuum advance on distributor ?
Yes, MP electronic ignition.

cdr

you need to get the timing mark correct !!!!!
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

INTMD8

Quote from: cdr on November 15, 2021, 10:58:23 PM

Yes agreed.  "should it be advanced or retarded from unknown position" =  :brickwall:

Best would be use a piston stop, one way mark dampener, other way mark dampener, halfway inbetween is your TDC.

Could ballpark it with a straight piece of wire/coat hanger through the spark plug hole (and draw gradient lines on it with a marker so you can see relative movement)
69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

JPL

Quote from: INTMD8 on November 18, 2021, 01:27:25 PM

Yes agreed.  "should it be advanced or retarded from unknown position" =  :brickwall:

Best would be use a piston stop, one way mark dampener, other way mark dampener, halfway inbetween is your TDC.

Could ballpark it with a straight piece of wire/coat hanger through the spark plug hole (and draw gradient lines on it with a marker so you can see relative movement)

The question isn't "should it be advanced or retarded from unknown position"
The question is "when the car is warmed up, in gear, from idle, I push the gas pedal down about half way real quick and lift, the car will launch forward nicely, then it stalls...... So, do you guys think this is a timing issue? If so, should it be advanced or retarted?"
The cars runs great and it pulls strong, the stall after a throttle blip is the only issue.

INTMD8

^ If you don't know what the timing is, that is exactly the question.   

JPL

Just want to know, if the car is stalling in that situation, are the chances more likely that the timing needs to be advanced or retarted..........

INTMD8

No one could possibly have an idea.  It needs to be done correctly. May have nothing to do with timing but step one is correct the timing mark and actually set the timing.

JPL

Quote from: INTMD8 on November 20, 2021, 12:59:23 PM
No one could possibly have an idea.  It needs to be done correctly. May have nothing to do with timing but step one is correct the timing mark and actually set the timing.

4 experts/mechanics have an idea, they all said timing but 2 said advance and two said retard, lol. It runs great, (through power timing), except for that issue and with out proper timing marks I didn't want to screw it up further, so just was looking for opinion/direction.

INTMD8

Quote from: JPL on November 20, 2021, 03:07:17 PM
Quote from: INTMD8 on November 20, 2021, 12:59:23 PM

4 experts/mechanics have an idea, they all said timing but 2 said advance and two said retard, lol. It runs great, (through power timing), except for that issue and with out proper timing marks I didn't want to screw it up further, so just was looking for opinion/direction.

Ok, do it right.  Or just randomly move the distributor around  :lol:

Trying to tune this to run correctly is just a complete waste of time otherwise but good luck with it.

BSB67

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

69hemibeep

Quote from: JPL on November 15, 2021, 09:20:29 AM
I push the gas pedal down about half way real quick and lift, the car will launch forward nicely, then it stalls.

Don't do this  :lol:

AKcharger

JPL you have to go step by step on this stuff...and step #1 is find where timing is now as detailed above

metallicareload99

Quote from: JPL on November 19, 2021, 12:11:12 PM
Quote from: INTMD8 on November 18, 2021, 01:27:25 PM

...I push the gas pedal down about half way real quick and lift, the car will launch forward nicely, then it stalls...... So, do you guys think this is a timing issue? If so, should it be advanced or retarted?"
The cars runs great and it pulls strong, the stall after a throttle blip is the only issue.

Does it stall completely as in engine off? Not trying to pile on, but I don't really see the point of such a "maneuver?" If easing off instead of lifting quickly does it not stall? At any rate, in my nonexpert opinion, this suggests carb tuning is needed if anything :shruggy:  No timing pointer isn't a problem per se, I drove around for years with no pointer, but you'd have to put in some effort tuning it still
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

Closet Mooar guy