News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

help with paint failure

Started by tmaleck, November 18, 2021, 06:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmaleck

Now the car is home,  I got a look at the paint.  I initially thought the gold was masking tape, turns out it is the gold base for the candy green topcoat.  The one pic is where the turn signal goes in the hood.  Looks like a river of paint run down the  hole.  I think it was contamination or horrid surface prep, but maybe something else happened.  It almost looks like the paint was cellophane and was pulled apart.  I'd like to get opinions.
Tim
https://app.box.com/s/fokpbjj0hyepsxg4466iatahh93mf6pe

cdr

:o  That looks like someone did something on purpose to damage the paint job
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

kent

Kent

INTMD8

Very weird.  How is it all over the hood?

To me almost looks like something spilled on the car after it was painted.

I guess it doesn't really matter as it's all coming off now.  Sorry to see this!  :'(
69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

tmaleck

Quote from: kent on November 18, 2021, 08:12:05 PM
What did your painter say?
The shop claims it was the first attempt to paint the car.  I supplied HOK, color, reducer, clear, hardener, all from HOK.  First paint job came out blotchy,  so they resprayed it.  They claim the material I supplied was defective or somehow tampered with, so it's my fault.  I dont see that, since the gold base coat on the second try is ok, just the color reacted. 
This mess is the heart of the reason I had to pull the car.  He initially said he'd make it right, but once the scope of the problem became apparent,  that's when all the other crap and excuses started.  Every, and I mean every problem was somehow my fault.  I have never seen this sort of horrible behavior in a shop before.  I am a retired engineer and have run a business of some form since I was 20 years old.  At 61 I now own a Powersports dealership, and when we screw up, I own it and make it right.  I know this happens in this hobby, I just wish I had use of my hands, I'd dive in and get it done.  I'm not sure if I can, we'll see.
Thanks for the feedback folks.
Tim

kent

So sorry to hear that. Not a very class act.
This happens a lot. My car was at the shop for a extra year!! My doors did not come out right. Looks like they weren't block sanded enough. Turned out that he sprayed on too much clear with his new gun. Looked like slight very slight dents. Meaning the door didn't look straight. Well She just got home two weeks ago. But he did fix it though. I was lucky to find my man.
That being said first time painting? Expensive training car. Not to mention material. That HOC stuff is not cheap.
I hope you can get your car resprayed. Please keep us updated if you don't mind Tim.

Good Luck 

Kent

b5blue

I've shops around me that flat refuse work with owner supplied anything.  :scratchchin:

71charger_fan

I got lucky. My guy wanted to buy everything but didn't mark any of it up. I was happy to let him do it. Around here, if you can find someone who's willing to paint an old car you're going to wait months before they can start on it.

hemi-hampton

There's a Bunch I could say about this Subject but I'll try to make it short. To me it looks like they tried to tape of edges to keep paint out of the cracks/recess open areas & the tape came out/off while painting. Only thing I can see to explain it but even that should of never been done & is assinine. The first time they painted you say it came out Blotchy, Blochtyness & zebra Strips are a typical signs of a Ameture Candy Painter. Candies are not your typical paint & take lots of experience technical tricks & know how to spray it right. That the old school Candy over Gold or Silver Base I'm talking about. The new Candy on new Cars any ameture can spray, Jon Kosmoski from House of Color himself calls the new Candies Idiot proof, that's because most new car candies will be for example a red over red base or blue over blue base ect., ect., Hard to mess these new Candies up compared to the old Candies. I've worked with many over confident Painters that say painting Candy is easy & no problem, just to watch them screw it up, or try 3 more times & give up or have me redoe it for them or they pass on it from the start & give it to me. They didn't want to repaint this car for you because they knew they couldn't handle it. Send it to a pro, not a ameture. LEON.

Pic of 32 Ford Coup I sprayed Candy Red over Gold Base about 20 years ago when I had Hair.

RallyeMike

I think the best you can hope for is to sand it down and shoot over it. You might have a hard time finding a shop that wants to fix this (and stand by their work) painting on top of something that is flawed in this way.

As far as what happened, maybe HOK would give you the best feedback... but I don't think knowing the probable cause is going to give you much satisfaction.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

AKcharger

How ODD!! it looks like something ran in the paint...but gravity wouldn't pull it in those directions.

I wounder if you could simply Block it to 400, Primer/sealer it and shoot? I'd check with Paint manufacturer, but that's what I'd try

hemi-hampton

Quote from: AKcharger on November 20, 2021, 06:38:07 PM
How ODD!! it looks like something ran in the paint...but gravity wouldn't pull it in those directions.

I wounder if you could simply Block it to 400, Primer/sealer it and shoot? I'd check with Paint manufacturer, but that's what I'd try

The bad thing about blocking with 400 & then Primer/Seal & shoot is Candy adds alot more film build (thickness in Mils) then most other paints, For example you can get away with just 2 coats of Single Stage. With this Candy job if you count the Primer, Sealer, Candy & Clear you may already have 10+ coats. You might not want to add more on top of a paint job that's already to thick. Just my opinion, I'm sure others will vary :shruggy: :Twocents: :slap: LEON.

nchrome

Take it back down to primer and paint her yourself look what a so called pro did you can do better with a little instruction. What ya got to loose

tmaleck

Quote from: nchrome on November 22, 2021, 09:55:52 PM
Take it back down to primer and paint her yourself look what a so called pro did you can do better with a little instruction. What ya got to loose
If I could hold the tools, I would.  I may try anyway, we'll see.  Thanks for the feedback.

AKcharger

Quote from: hemi-hampton on November 22, 2021, 07:16:01 PM

...With this Candy job if you count the Primer, Sealer, Candy & Clear you may already have 10+ coats. You might not want to add more on top of a paint job that's already to thick. Just my opinion, I'm sure others will vary :shruggy: :Twocents: :slap: LEON.

Ah!! That makes sense. I have zero knowledge of candy paint. Bummer to have to sand everything back down

Hey hey....just throwing this out:

If there enough good paint that you could paint flames or a dragon over the bad parts? Kinda like what people do with a bad tatoo?? Maybe a 70s psyedellic theme?

hemi-hampton

If you want to avoid the difficulties of Candy just paint it a Bright Green Metallic, or Metallic or anything but Candy, Candy is just asking for Problems usually. LEON.

HANDM

Flat black it and be done, who needs a shiny charger anyway  :lol:

nchrome

l did my charger in petty blue and its been at least 20 years since l painted and she came out just fine. No she's nor perfect but after l buff her she will look even better. Sorry no pictures here but if ya go to B bodies only back 7 pages and look for "my charger" you can see what l done

cdr

Quote from: HANDM on November 24, 2021, 07:51:58 PM
Flat black it and be done, who needs a shiny charger anyway  :lol:

Thats why I painted mine Hot Rod Black, no overpriced bad paint job, all the flaws I did myself LOL.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr