News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Moog K7041 Idler arm failed with only 20 miles,

Started by john108, November 26, 2021, 07:39:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john108

1968 Charger R/T
The front suspension was just about totally rebuilt.
I finally got the car where I can drive it to get the wheels aligned.
After the alignment, we noticed that the Idler Arm was real bad.
There is only 20 miles on the car since the restoration.
It is a Moog K7041 Idler arm.

WHAT IS A GOOD IDLER ARM?
They should not fall apart.
Thank you
John

Kern Dog

I hope for your sake you didn't take the car to the Les Schwab near your house. The chain stores like them are often staffed by guys trained on newer cars with zero knowledge of the classics.
I take mine to Linville Brothers on El Camino.
With mostly stock parts, I was able to get 4 degrees of Positive caster, .75 degrees of NEGATIVE camber and 1/8" toe in. The car tracks straight, the tires wear normally but being as wide as mine are, they do tend to follow cracks in the road. My front tires are 275-40-18 ....a size wider than most rear tires people are using.
Offset upper control arm bushings are to be credited with getting the alignment where it is.

john108

Thanks but too late for the offset bushings.  I don't want to take that all apart.  I don't remember how we did it the first time.

Do you have a recommendation for a good Idler Arm, better that the Moog?

Kern Dog

As a default, I'd call Firm Feel. Unfortunately, they won't be open until Monday.
Moog used to be THE go-to supplier but like so many other things, they went to the Chinese and from there, quality has taken a sharp drop off. A clean original may be a better option if you can find one.

b5blue

Try "Proform". Others have rated them highly. (I use Moog with no issues.)

HPP

Many suspension parts are a crap shoot. Buy another of whatever brand you want.  I've had brand names units fail, I've had off brand stuff last a long time. Put it in, inspect occasionally, drive away.

John_Kunkel

I used to replace the rubber bushing with a ball bearing kit...can't seem to find any listed nowadays.  :shruggy:
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

b5blue

Yea I bought an old style one off eBay hoping it would fit... no luck.

John_Kunkel

Here's a typical ball bearing conversion kit, it's greaseable so will last just about forever and no deflection under stress.

John_Kunkel

Hmmm, that one has the Zerk in the arm (extra drilling/tapping) while the one I showed has the Zerk in the bolt. Either way, far superior to the rubber bushing.