News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

EFI & Temperature:

Started by Captain D, November 27, 2021, 04:59:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain D

Hello all,

Curious to run something by you:

On the 69,' has anyone had any issues with EFI (tank / electric fuel pump) & the exterior temperature, by chance? Reason being, I've noticed that in high summer heat (90 degrees) and cooler temps (40 degrees) I seem to have some stall-outs. For instance, at 90 degrees with high humidity, etc., the car may fire right up, yet snuff itself out after a few minutes. Same in the cold - the car fires right up only to snuff itself out after a few minutes. I've had it running & all of a sudden at idle or slow speed, have to restart.

But, if the temps are between, say, 50-80 degrees no problem whatsoever - you'd think that you're driving a Cadillac or a Lincoln. Just odd. The only thing that I've done differently, just to backtrack to when I didn't have this problem, was that I added a bottle of the 'Rislone Super Coolant' additive to Prestone 50/50 anti-freeze. Local shops say that there was no way that the Rislone additive could influence something like this. But, maybe next season I'll change out the coolant and just not add anything to see if there is any change just in case.

As off as this may sound, the only other thing that I can think of is that, unlike a mechanical pump mounted closer on the block, the electric pump lines have further to travel & the exterior temperature is affecting the fuel somehow like a local shop suggested. Any thoughts or has anyone with EFI set-up experienced similar scenarios...?

cdr

Quote from: Captain D on November 27, 2021, 04:59:43 PM
Hello all,

Curious to run something by you:

On the 69,' has anyone had any issues with EFI (tank / electric fuel pump) & the exterior temperature, by chance? Reason being, I've noticed that in high summer heat (90 degrees) and cooler temps (40 degrees) I seem to have some stall-outs. For instance, at 90 degrees with high humidity, etc., the car may fire right up, yet snuff itself out after a few minutes. Same in the cold - the car fires right up only to snuff itself out after a few minutes. I've had it running & all of a sudden at idle or slow speed, have to restart.

But, if the temps are between, say, 50-80 degrees no problem whatsoever - you'd think that you're driving a Cadillac or a Lincoln. Just odd. The only thing that I've done differently, just to backtrack to when I didn't have this problem, was that I added a bottle of the 'Rislone Super Coolant' additive to Prestone 50/50 anti-freeze. Local shops say that there was no way that the Rislone additive could influence something like this. But, maybe next season I'll change out the coolant and just not add anything to see if there is any change just in case.

As off as this may sound, the only other thing that I can think of is that, unlike a mechanical pump mounted closer on the block, the electric pump lines have further to travel & the exterior temperature is affecting the fuel somehow like a local shop suggested. Any thoughts or has anyone with EFI set-up experienced similar scenarios...?

What brand of efi ? there are some problems with the coolant temp senders on some
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Captain D

It's Fi-Tech front to back. I just never had this issue prior to the coolant additive. And, it's not all the time - just a higher probability at temperature extremes I've noticed. I'll go 'solo' with no additive next season. Just curious if anyone experienced something similar...

cdr

Quote from: Captain D on November 27, 2021, 05:26:55 PM
It's Fi-Tech front to back. I just never had this issue prior to the coolant additive. And, it's not all the time - just a higher probability at temperature extremes I've noticed. I'll go 'solo' with no additive next season. Just curious if anyone experienced something similar...

Fi tech has  know coolant temp sensor problems, I would replace it, they are inexpensive
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

cdr

looks like a Borg Warner BWD WT3000  from a parts store is the way to go

Captain D

Quick update:

I installed a new coolant temp sensor - all seemed to go well (I'll do a test run over the weekend). I also called Fi-Tech to see if there was anything further that I could do. During the cooler temps, they suggested an increase of 10 increments for both 'Warmup 20F Fuel' and 'Warmup 65F Fuel' under 'Crank & Warmup' on the handheld (units #9 & #10). During the summer, I may take it back to 0.0. Wait & see I suppose...

Hopefully these things will help...

Captain D