News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Questions for people with car trailers

Started by AKcharger, November 28, 2021, 05:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on November 30, 2021, 09:06:49 PMMy older F150 even struggled with my Charger when going through hill country.   Just my  :Twocents:   

Well, Ford....

Todd Wilson

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on November 30, 2021, 09:06:49 PM
I drive A LOT with work and have seen some crazy things on the road with SUV's towing a large trailer.    Even though your Jeep can technically do it, I would only do it on side type roads and not the expressway.   I'm sure you would be careful, but your talking a lot of miles and if it is windy, good luck.  Your stress wouldn't be worth it.   The last crazy thing I saw is a Mercedes SUV towing a boat that was about 24' in length.   He drove past me at about 80 mph, and about 45 minutes later traffic was all backed up because he lost control and the boat, with the trailer, landed upside down and his SUV in a ditch.....

I have towed about 40,000 miles worth with cars and personally wouldn't do it with anything smaller than a 1/2 ton crew cab, or extended cab pickup.   My older F150 even struggled with my Charger when going through hill country.   Just my  :Twocents:   

The best advice so far!!! I agree!

Todd

birdsandbees

:lol:  Barely know the trailer is there... all the way to Bama and back, some 2600 miles.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Todd Wilson

Other things to consider with the SUV tow rigs is the tires..........usually not load rated like D or E range tires and theres a risk of a blow out..........Then you will have problems in a hurry!

Todd

70 sublime

How far away are you from the show ?

Why not just get the car road ready and drive it that far ?
It would be as much part of the adventure of being at the show

More stress or less or about even ??
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

AKcharger

Quote from: 70 sublime on November 30, 2021, 10:21:15 PM
...why not just get the car road ready and drive it that far ?...

yeah, ya know what the more I read what you guys are sayin' the more just driving makes sense

- The car is 100% fine it will make it the 1200 mile R/T florida to PA
- If I got a trailer I don't have desire to store it so I'd sell it right away
- Cost of trailers is expensive and Uhaul is too hevey
- The risk of a mishap is not worth it
- and A/C in car is working!!!

Aero426

Quote from: DownZero on November 30, 2021, 03:22:10 PM
Very experienced in what? Certainly not in towing. Anyone with an iota of knowledge would not attempt such a fool hardy idea. You can only upgrade a mini van so much.

I agree, it's crazy.   But he claimed to be an over the road semi driver.    I heard he made it back to Houston. 

70 sublime

Quote from: AKcharger on November 30, 2021, 10:31:16 PM
Quote from: 70 sublime on November 30, 2021, 10:21:15 PM
...why not just get the car road ready and drive it that far ?...

yeah, ya know what the more I read what you guys are sayin' the more just driving makes sense

- The car is 100% fine it will make it the 1200 mile R/T florida to PA
- If I got a trailer I don't have desire to store it so I'd sell it right away
- Cost of trailers is expensive and Uhaul is too hevey
- The risk of a mishap is not worth it
- and A/C in car is working!!!

:2thumbs:
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Challenger340

I have a 20 FT Flat Deck W/2 X 5,000 Axles I use to tow my mini-Hoe around when necessary.

I went to a show-n-shine last year that was 500 miles round trip.... and I just drove the Charger there and back in one day ? I carry a toolbox 'just in case' with a few wrenchs etc., but otherwise why NOT drive it ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

T-Cows

I bought a 10K lbs 16' trailer back in 2016 and have put probably 30K miles on it hauling all over the province, would have preferred a 18' but finances wouldn't allow that at the time. So get the 10K lbs trailer GVW with full electric brakes, and never pull anything with surge brakes unless you're just going across town. ;)

I have hauled everything from a quad to furniture to a 6000lb old Case skid steer, it never ceases to amaze me how convenient a trailer is....My tow vehicle is my forever project 1984/93 Cummins crewcab with a NV4500 and hydroboost brakes, HD everything with a curb weight of about 6900lbs, and for the most part doesn't even register that there is anything behind when loaded.. :lol:..And it still gets 15-16mpg when loaded pulling through the mountains.

Todd Wilson

Quote from: T-Cows on December 04, 2021, 05:44:04 PM
I bought a 10K lbs 16' trailer back in 2016 and have put probably 30K miles on it hauling all over the province, would have preferred a 18' but finances wouldn't allow that at the time. So get the 10K lbs trailer GVW with full electric brakes, and never pull anything with surge brakes unless you're just going across town. ;)

I have hauled everything from a quad to furniture to a 6000lb old Case skid steer, it never ceases to amaze me how convenient a trailer is....My tow vehicle is my forever project 1984/93 Cummins crewcab with a NV4500 and hydroboost brakes, HD everything with a curb weight of about 6900lbs, and for the most part doesn't even register that there is anything behind when loaded.. :lol:..And it still gets 15-16mpg when loaded pulling through the mountains.

Sweet truck! Please show/tell more about it!  :icon_smile_big:

Todd