News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How old are you? A wing car survey.

Started by Pinballjim, November 30, 2021, 06:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cudavic

Quote from: Pinballjim on November 30, 2021, 06:38:36 PM
I started a thread a while back titled "Searching for a wing car".  A thought came to mind that I felt needed to be addressed in a new thread.   This one is for all the current wing car owners.  I got to wondering -  What's the average age of guys who own wing cars?  And while I'm asking, how long have you owned your cars?  I'm just curious about the demographics of these cars.  Most of the guys I talk to about their cars have owned them for decades....  What's YOUR story?   Thanks in advance for your input!!       

I created a somewhat similar thread on this almost four years ago, below is a link to the thread.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,131874.msg1639835.html#msg1639835

Sgt Superbird

Quote from: hemi68charger on December 02, 2021, 07:42:06 AM
Quote from: Sgt Superbird on December 01, 2021, 09:55:17 PM

Nice you were able to get back on your Winged-Mopar-feet after the divorce....  :cheers:

Thank you. I had a great career, fair wage, was honest, saved and invested. It all worked out!

held1823

I lucked into my Daytona the old fashioned way - I inherited it. I'm named after my dad and grandfather, so technically my name is on the title as a not quite five year old owner, lol.  I turned 57 yesterday, and the car has been here since it left the Dodge dealership lot as a new car
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Birdflu

Boy! Looks like 55-57 years of age is a sweet spot! That being said, if the rest of them are as 'hoardie' (not a real word but you know what I mean) as me, the cars might be available in another 25-30 years! Also, for the record, I know two 35-40 year olds looking aggressively for a wing car. I don't think these cars are ever going 'soft'. Yeah, they might flatten out as the market is hot right now, but since they've become a global investment, there are too many interested parties for the amount of cars on the planet for them to tank. Just my .02
Oh yeah, I just turned 56 years old, here's our pride and joy! Driven a LOT!  :2thumbs:

Aero426

Quote from: Birdflu on December 02, 2021, 11:15:42 AM
Also, for the record, I know two 35-40 year olds looking aggressively for a wing car. I don't think these cars are ever going 'soft'. Yeah, they might flatten out as the market is hot right now, but since they've become a global investment, there are too many interested parties for the amount of cars on the planet for them to tank. Just my .02

Spot on.

Pinballjim

Quote from: cudavic on December 02, 2021, 08:29:31 AM
I started a thread a while back titled "Searching for a wing car".  A thought came to mind that I felt needed to be addressed in a new thread.   This one is for all the current wing car owners.  I got to wondering -  What's the average age of guys who own wing cars?  And while I'm asking, how long have you owned your cars?  I'm just curious about the demographics of these cars.  Most of the guys I talk to about their cars have owned them for decades....  What's YOUR story?   Thanks in advance for your input!!       

I created a somewhat similar thread on this almost four years ago, below is a link to the thread.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,131874.msg1639835.html#msg1639835

Cudavic -  I didn't realize a survey had already been done.  I took the time to read your thread (from 3 years ago).  Really interesting stuff there!!  I found it particularly interesting that both your poll and my survey have yielded similar results.   Thanks for your efforts and response. 

69_500

43 here and still not a wing car owner. Have been chasing a Daytona to call my own for 26 years now. Have made offers on 18 different cars over the years. I do have a Hemi 500, but no wing car. One is coming though, some day there will be one here in the garage.

Stevetona

43 here. Posted in the 2018 thread. Realized 200k or more  on a car is not in my immediate future unless I win the lottery.  Purchased a nice original 69 Hemi Coronet R/T 4 speed in B5 instead! :drool5:

426HemiChick

Quote from: held1823 on December 02, 2021, 11:01:00 AM
I lucked into my Daytona the old fashioned way - I inherited it. I'm named after my dad and grandfather, so technically my name is on the title as a not quite five year old owner, lol.  I turned 57 yesterday, and the car has been here since it left the Dodge dealership lot as a new car

Hi Ernie,                    03 December 2021

Happy Birthday Ernie !!! A bit belated, but Sincere as it gets. Hope all is going well with your Daytona's restoration. We know it'll be a beauty and a real tribute to your Father.

Hope to see you in Phoenix sometime after the New Year.

God Bless, Wishing you and your family a Very Blessed and Merry Christmas.

Best Always

Dena and Christine, the 426 Hemi Chicks

Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

held1823

Quote from: 426HemiChick on December 03, 2021, 02:16:24 AM
Hi Ernie,                    03 December 2021

Happy Birthday Ernie !!! A bit belated, but Sincere as it gets. Hope all is going well with your Daytona's restoration. We know it'll be a beauty and a real tribute to your Father.
Hope to see you in Phoenix sometime after the New Year.
God Bless, Wishing you and your family a Very Blessed and Merry Christmas.
Best Always
Dena and Christine, the 426 Hemi Chicks

Hi, Christine. Thanks for the kind words, and likewise to you and Dena regarding the Christmas season. Hopefully Santa brings you an end to the relocation saga. I am still beyond shell shocked at your overwhelming generosity- there is no way Santa could top that. I recently spent some quality time with both Bob and YOUR Daytona (Bob says so, too) at the MCACN show in Chicago. You were certainly a large part of our conversation. I've tried a few times to message you here but the mailbox is full. Take care, my friend, and God bless you both
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

cudavic

Quote from: Pinballjim on December 02, 2021, 04:10:41 PM
Quote from: cudavic on December 02, 2021, 08:29:31 AM

Cudavic -  I didn't realize a survey had already been done.  I took the time to read your thread (from 3 years ago).  Really interesting stuff there!!  I found it particularly interesting that both your poll and my survey have yielded similar results.   Thanks for your efforts and response. 

I figured you would be interested in seeing it.
Even tough it was from roughly 4 years ago the results are pretty much the same.
Good luck with your wing car quest, I believe with enough patience you will find one within your budget.

odcics2

How many here actually saw them race in Nascar during the 69-70 seasons?  :shruggy: 

I was also lucky enough to see DC-93 run at MIS in 1971, numbered "5" and painted light yellow and black with Don White at the controls...
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

1969daytona

Not a owner yet. 37 years already... I have had A dream about owning a Daytona sins i was 11/12.
The closest I ever bean was back inn may 2008 there was a red with white wing for 90K and our currency was at its best to USD.
My bank man said go. but i was a little afraid and backed down. That was a good thing or else i would have lost it when our country economy was down 10 mounts later.
So still hunting!
As far as i know we have to real Daytonas here in Norway today.

Thank You

K-E
MoPar or NO car

426HemiChick

Quote from: held1823 on December 03, 2021, 08:03:48 AM
Hi, Christine. Thanks for the kind words, and likewise to you and Dena regarding the Christmas season. Hopefully Santa brings you an end to the relocation saga. I am still beyond shell shocked at your overwhelming generosity- there is no way Santa could top that. I recently spent some quality time with both Bob and YOUR Daytona (Bob says so, too) at the MCACN show in Chicago. You were certainly a large part of our conversation. I've tried a few times to message you here but the mailbox is full. Take care, my friend, and God bless you both

Hi Ernie,                 03 December 2021

Thanks for the Heads-up regarding our mailbox; wondered why we hadn't received answers to PM's we sent. Will go fix it next.

Take care Ernie, May God Bless You, Your Family and Your Daytona. We're looking Forward to seeing it one of these days, hopefully on the show circuit along with Bob and his Hemi Daytona.

We do appreciate the reference to "Christine's Daytona" a very nice and welcome gesture.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

KurtfromLaQuinta

67 here. Going on 18.
Not a real wing car owner... a clone that definitely won't be numbers matching. No faking going on there.  :icon_smile_big: Not quite half done yet.
Does it count I took my parents to the local Chrysler/ Dodge/ Plymouth dealership back when I was a freshman in high school to persuade them to buy a Daytona?
I've been wanting one since then.
It's taken that long.

I have owned my truck for 47 years this month. https://www.ramchargercentral.com/threads/my-74-power-wagon-i-ordered-from-dodge-on-8-73.162259/

426HemiChick

Quote from: held1823 on December 03, 2021, 08:03:48 AM
                   I've tried a few times to message you here but the mailbox is full. Take care, my friend, and God bless you both

Hi Ernie,                   03 December 2021

PM tank now at half full. Thanks Ernie for the Alert.

Best Always

Dena and Christine

aerolith

Nice story Kurt!

Everyone who owns a Daytona 'has a story' to tell and if it was all written down, it would be very interesting indeed.

Its not just about buying a 'CAR', its all about the 'accruing the wealth' to do so, in the first place.

Did you save for it, did you win the Lotto, or was you the guy whose 'Dad' (unlucky Kurt) bought the Daytona and promised it to you 'one day'!

It very cool that Guys (and maybe some Gals) are still wanting them.
(don't you just hate folks that call girls, GUYS!)

My dad was a 'car-nut' but he hated me so much, he left me a scrap 'Rover' for my sins... :slap: (Ali Buick lump)

We all want something that we can't have, or in this case can't BUY! :'( :'( :'(

Its NOT about money it seems, just AVAILABILITY... :brickwall:

As I have said many times before, ''I AM PAST IT'', hope you Guys and gals, ''REALISE YOUR DREAMs''... :cheers: :popcrn: :2thumbs:

If you look closely you can see the V8 badge, yes this is a Brit muscle car... :smilielol:
(they also make nice coffee tables too)
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

cudavic

That is a nice table/engine.
Very cool.

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,              05 December 2021

Are there valid numbers for how many Daytona's and Super Birds still exist?

Just Curious.

Thanks in advance.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

KurtfromLaQuinta

Quote from: 426HemiChick on December 05, 2021, 12:17:52 PM
Hi Folks,              05 December 2021

Just Curious.

Thanks in advance.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
A quote from Sean Machado... "Nobody will ever know on any exact day".  :icon_smile_big:
But he added... He's known around 415 Daytona's. There more Bird's out there... easily over 1000.

426HemiChick

Quote from: triple_green on December 01, 2021, 03:21:03 PM
It seems for most, owning a wing car is about priorities as much as money. There are a few "rich guys" here is Seattle that own wing cars, but mostly people who made it a money priority when they got the car. back in the day my money priority was the 4 kids and house payment, but now, who knows...

Hi triple_green,                  05 December 2021

You are to be commended for what you did: ...."back in the day my money priority was the 4 kids and house payment, but now, who knows..."

You did it right, our bet is you have a fine loving family who appreciate their "Patriarch." God Bless You and Your Family.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

hemi68charger

Quote from: 426HemiChick on December 05, 2021, 11:28:10 PM
You did it right, our bet is you have a fine loving family who appreciate their "Patriarch." God Bless You and Your Family.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

I did/doing the same thing..... But, I'm still waiting for the appreciation part.  ::)   I guess at the Dad and provider, I need to keep my mouth shut and just go to the garage.....  ;D
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

426HemiChick

Quote from: hemi68charger on December 06, 2021, 07:09:07 AM

I did/doing the same thing..... But, I'm still waiting for the appreciation part.  ::)   I guess at the Dad and provider, I need to keep my mouth shut and just go to the garage.....  ;D

Hi hemi68charger,                 06 December 2021

My folks were alcoholic's, my dad beat the shit out of me from about 2 until the day he punched me and I got into his face and told him if he ever laid a hand on me again I'd do the unthinkable to him. He never touched me again.

When I was 66 and he was about a month from death, he came up to me and said: "I realize now I should have paid more attention to you when you were young." The first thought that came to mind: "Yeah, you're just 66 f---ing years late." Didn't say it to him but....  there's no fixing the past and saying "I'm sorry" doesn't cut it for the abuse and neglect. He died a month later.

You will never have regrets for doing the right things; the appreciation will come. God Bless you and Your Family, Wishing Y'all a Very Blessed and Happy Christmas.

Best Always

Christine for the 426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,              06 December 2021

Yes, I have done my share of things I regret, things that cannot be righted; these are the ones that hurt the most and linger long after.

Wishing Y'all a Very Blessed and Happy Christmas !!!

Best Always

Christine for the 426 Hemi Chicks

69_500

Quote from: 426HemiChick on December 05, 2021, 12:17:52 PM
Hi Folks,              05 December 2021

Just Curious.

Thanks in advance.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks

I can't guess at how many Superbirds are still around, I will leave that number to Doug S. I can say that there are a few of us here on the board that between us can attest for over 400 of the Daytona's made that are still around in one shape or fashion. I can attest to 337 of the 500's still being around. I think that the number of Superbird accounted for in the clubs is aprproachig 1,200 or so.