News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Leaf Springs re-arch or replace? (Spring replacement..with pictures!)

Started by AKcharger, December 06, 2021, 11:42:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

Rear of the '70  is just a tad saggy and was shopping for a set when I read post of those who put on new springs & found they saged after only a few years and recalled my own advice about new parts being cheap crap.

So...Anyone tried to re-arch old springs and did it work? and/or is there a QUALITY Source for replacement leaf springs? IE NOT from China

Thanks!

WMopar71

Wonder if springs from a Dakota pickup would work? I don't have any dimensions or spring rates but the parts would be newer.

1970Moparmann

Quote from: AKcharger on December 06, 2021, 11:42:27 AM
Rear of the '70  is just a tad saggy and was shopping for a set when I read post of those who put on new springs & found they saged after only a few years and recalled my own advice about new parts being cheap crap.

So...Anyone tried to re-arch old springs and did it work? and/or is there a QUALITY Source for replacement leaf springs? IE NOT from China

Thanks!

I'm going to re-arch my original springs to my Bird.   The best thing to do is look to see how much higher you want to lift the car also.   They will re-arch and possibly add if need be.     :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Bronzedodge

ESPO was the name in Mopar springs for a long time.  I bought some C body station wagon springs from them a LONG time ago.  Real heat treating takes about 1/2 to 3/4 a day at minimum in a heat treating oven or reducing furnace, and a shop that knows what they're doing.
Mopar forever!

AKcharger

I did some more homework and called Eaton Springs, they were the best I could find. They make them on premises and runs about $700 a set. They do re-arching as well but advised for me new set cheaper and easier.

birdsandbees

You'd be amazed at what simply rebuilding them with new interleafs and plastic wear plates does. I had air shocks on the Bee, since the '70's as the springs sagged. When I restored the car I rebuilt the springs and figuring I'd still need the air jackers so I put a new set back onto the car. She's been on her wheels for 3 years now, 3000+ miles driven and I'm still only running 10 psi in the shocks or the ass end is too high. No sag in the springs and I could have put conventional shocks on the car.

My '69 Dart, I did the same.. rebuilding the springs... but I found that the drivers side main leaf didn't have the arch that the other one did. I just used my hydraulic press (cylinder pushing a round pipe against the leaf while it spanned the press arms) to re-arch it to match the other, then reassembled both sets with new wear plates and interleafs. Sits perfect with regular shocks.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

AKcharger

Quote from: birdsandbees on December 10, 2021, 10:40:33 AM
You'd be amazed at what simply rebuilding them with new interleafs and plastic wear plates does...

I saw those kits but thought it was only to use AFTER you re-arched the springs? So it worked good for you?? The kit I saw had metal plates

Thx

birdsandbees

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

AKcharger

Holy smokes!!! You actually ripped those to pieces!! I'm on my phone, will study when I'm home...bravo and thanks!

b5blue

I used Mopar's over 7 years ago and they are still fine.  :2thumbs:

histoy

Another place to check is St. Louis Spring Co.   I had them make me a couple of sets years ago.  They would make them to your specs, including extra arch, if you prefer.   Their prices were excellent back then.

AKcharger

Went with St. Louis Springs, replacement in work. Luckily I have my trusty M61A 20MM cannon barrel to help with stuck screws...NOTHING can defeat that!

Mopar Nut

Quote from: AKcharger on January 23, 2022, 06:14:01 PM
Went with St. Louis Springs, replacement in work. Luckily I have my trusty M61A 20MM cannon barrel to help with stuck screws...NOTHING can defeat that!

What did they it end up costing, including shipping?
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

AKcharger

Quote from: Mopar Nut on January 23, 2022, 08:34:49 PM
$460 that's 6 leaf's drivers and 7 pax (Original Extra HD set) with an additional 1.5 inch lift. next place I found for US made springs was $800 without shipping. I did not consider Chinese (year one or other warehouses)

Mopar Nut

Quote from: AKcharger on January 23, 2022, 10:01:28 PM
Quote from: Mopar Nut on January 23, 2022, 08:34:49 PM
$460 that's 6 leaf's drivers and 7 pax (Original Extra HD set) with an additional 1.5 inch lift. next place I found for US made springs was $800 without shipping. I did not consider Chinese (year one or other warehouses)
That's not bad.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

1970Moparmann

Would love to see a "before" and "after" side view when you are done!  :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

b5blue

Let me know if the pass side sits high like my Mopar's did?  :scratchchin:

AKcharger

- MoparMann sure thing! I did take a few before pictures
- B5 hopefully both sides are same but I'll be sure to look for that!

Drivers side is off, again impressed with this car having no corrosion everything came apart well BUT I'm not going any farther till I fix my air compressor, two huge blisters to show for my work! Anyway, all hardware good and St. Louis spring installed the front bushing but not the rear, so have those on order....plus I have to go to work so I'll hit it again this weekend.

You can see the original spring next to new spring...definite difference! also the original has two support bands around the springs as opposed to one for the replacement so I'll move those over

Kern Dog

I like that on the new springs, the second leaf overlaps the front spring eye.   :2thumbs:

Just 6T9 CHGR

If those are original springs you are taking out, dont toss em.  Many might want them for the part number in the last leaf.....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

AKcharger

- Thanks Kern... :2thumbs:
- 6T9 I'm with you, at least 3 times in the past year I've re-bought a part a through out earlier! Don't laugh too hard but my plan is to bury them in the back yard, if I really need them I'll dig them up...no really!

bushings arrived but still waiting on Air Compressor parts to continue

AKcharger

OK All done, went well after I had air compressor back! It's 2 inches higher than previous so I'm thinking the Inch and 1/2 life I ordered was about spot on (est. 1/2 inch sag) I like to think it has an ever so slight "Rake" look to it

Before/ After

AKcharger

B5 The PAX side is about 1/16 of an inch LOWER than the drivers side...really in distinguishable

Before and after (No Before pax side, sorry)

Kern Dog

You have a strange way of measuring.   :lol:
I forget though that not every guy has a regular measuring tape.
Rarely ever have I owned nor seen a car or truck that is even on all four corners or even two.
Looks good. How does it ride?

AKcharger

Quote from: Kern Dog on February 01, 2022, 11:14:17 PM
You have a strange way of measuring.   :lol:
I forget though that not every guy has a regular measuring tape.
Rarely ever have I owned nor seen a car or truck that is even on all four corners or even two.
Looks good. How does it ride?

Yeah, should have flipped stick around but once I did it that way I was "stuck"  rides about the same