News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My New Aero; Hemi Bird.. Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat record holder

Started by hemi68charger, December 15, 2021, 10:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Operation: Hemi Superbird, the former Jim Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat record holder. As you can see from the pictures, it had various schemes from the original paint with decals to a brownish paint for which you can still see the white in the door jambs.

How it came to be... Pete called me about a part I was looking for on that 1970 six pack Charger R/T I am working on and conversation turned to he wanting to sell the Bird. I knew what Bird he had, have known Pete for nearly a decade, almost bought his former F6 Playboy Daytona but it wasn't meant to be. This time he told me about selling the Bird.. Lordy, a chance to get an original Hemi Winged Car with racing pedigree. I asked for a week to try and sell my 500, he said sure.. Damn if you wouldn't know it, I had someone interested in it in less than a day and bought a day or two later. This time, this car was meant for me.

Pete was a great caretaker to the car and had a bunch of documentation for me with the car including the original California pink slip with Mr. Lindsley and original plates and dealership frame !! Thank you again Salt-free Pete..

I weighted the cost of shipping and a flight to Connecticut to make the financial part versus me just going to get it. Thanks to my friend Jeremy for going with me and Dave P. for letting me borrow his trailer to Julius to supporting the decision. So, here it is. Will pull out of the trailer probably Friday, still on the road... will take some pictures of the rest of the car.  Getting tired of the 3 days of heavy driving but have had a great time. Drove the car to lunch with Pete and Jeremy, Bird runs great!!

https://youtu.be/q6GheV0RB_M

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hemi68charger

Pete and I...
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

aerolith

Congratulations Troy!

Looks like you had all your Christmas presents 'all rolled up into one' this year! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Does that say 211-MPH for a street driven Hemi Superbird!!! :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

Top of my Bucket list is to see a Superbird and a Daytona 'running the salt'... :drive: :drive:

And even one day become a 'SALTIE' with a Charger 500 and get the 200 MPH tattoo too lol... :drool5: :2thumbs: :coolgleamA:
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

aerolith

I wanted to go to the 50th anniversary run of the 71 replicar.

But you know how its goes, 'Covid and Poverty' ruined everything... :slap:

Very sorry for the blatant 'thread steal' but hey its CHRISTMAS! ... :patriot:
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

taxspeaker

Great find Troy, congratulations

charger500440

Congrats!!! I've had the good fortune of seeing this car in person, having purchased some parts from Pete a few years ago. It is a beautiful car in every way.

I'm curious to know what will be taking it's place in Pete's garage...
1969 SE  383 Automatic
1969 500 440 Automatic

tan top

:o  Damn !  wow  :dance: ! what a piece of  Aero hardware !!  congratulations !!  AB Troy  :yesnod: :cheers: :cheers:
did think another troy trade , wonder what  awesome mopar ya found this time  :scratchchin:  & what could of topped the press demo C500 :scratchchin:    
 think to find d a superbird with top end salt flat racing history is a good replacment  for the C500  :P
looking forward to seen more pictures info & stuff ... shame there is not any old  flim footage of the running on the salt flats .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BS5tuo5v4Y

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

hemigeno

triple_green

68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

Moparpoolman

Congrats Troy :cheers: going to miss seeing it around but will be nice to see what Pete drives in it's place :icon_smile_big:

Mytur Binsdirti

Q5XX29

dakota_gt on Instagram

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

hemi68charger

Troy

odcics2

Quote from: hemi68charger on December 17, 2021, 09:46:19 AM
Quote from: odcics2 on December 17, 2021, 09:29:56 AM
Nice deal!

What's next? DC-93?

I ain't got that sort of coin.  ;)

Sure ya do: Flip this new Bird, sell the Daytona. Probably have some left over!   :Twocents:

:cheers:

DAY CLONA

Geez Troy, these Mopar deals, trades and buys your gonna need a dealers license!  :icon_smile_big: good to see a HEMI Bird in your garage..... BTW is this the same Bird that Pete put a sunroof into some years ago?

MikeG

chargervert

Not the same car Mike,that was a 440 car. Pete bought that sunroof assembly off my friends rolled over 70 Charger R/T SE. Way to go Troy. I have seen the car in person,and it's all that! Pete is a great guy with some cool cars. He reunited my 71 Charger R/T with it's original fender tag!

Birdflu

chargervert

It's time to knock the dust off your old nickname Troy! The Aero Bastard is back! lol

hemi68charger

Quote from: chargervert on December 17, 2021, 05:33:25 PM
It's time to knock the dust off your old nickname Troy! The Aero Bastard is back! lol

Was waiting for that.. One can't call himself that.. you beat Jim to it.
Troy

RallyeMike

Coolio  :2thumbs:

Would love to see a bunch more pictures and info on the car in race trim, class, speed, etc.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

odcics2

Quote from: RallyeMike on December 18, 2021, 12:30:09 AM
Coolio  :2thumbs:

Would love to see a bunch more pictures and info on the car in race trim, class, speed, etc.

yup.

Any plan to restore it to as raced condition?   :shruggy:

hemi68charger

Quote from: odcics2 on December 18, 2021, 07:22:12 AM

Na.. not under my watch.. Wouldn't take forever for this full-time working stiff and I wanna drive and enjoy. It is basically how Mr. Lindsley bought it. I even have the original plates and dealership plate frame.

Troy

chargervert

I have a book titled Dodge Chrysler Plymouth from the early seventies,that has a multi page feature on this car in race trim.

odcics2

Quote from: hemi68charger on December 18, 2021, 09:58:50 AM
Quote from: odcics2 on December 18, 2021, 07:22:12 AM

Na.. not under my watch.. Wouldn't take forever for this full-time working stiff and I wanna drive and enjoy. It is basically how Mr. Lindsley bought it. I even have the original plates and dealership plate frame.

Original driveline?