News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My New Aero; Hemi Bird.. Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat record holder

Started by hemi68charger, December 15, 2021, 10:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

odcics2

Quote from: chargervert on December 18, 2021, 10:04:20 AM
I have a book titled Dodge Chrysler Plymouth from the early seventies,that has a multi page feature on this car in race trim.

Post some info, when you can. Thanks!
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

hemi68charger

Quote from: chargervert on December 18, 2021, 10:04:20 AM
I have a book titled Dodge Chrysler Plymouth from the early seventies,that has a multi page feature on this car in race trim.

No Way.. I do believe I remember seeing something like that.. Can yo post a picture of the cover or title. I would love to find a copy.... Heck, I may have one stuck away somewhere....

Quote from: odcics2 on December 18, 2021, 10:12:42 AM

Original driveline?

Original motor is there under the hood... tranny long gone.... It is a 70 Hemi 727 though...
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Wingnut426

Troy,  I gave you a copy in the pile of info I gave you with the car. Pete
HEMI Daytona Convertible

odcics2

Probably the original engine and trans were used
on the Salt Flats.   :Twocents:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

nascarxx29

1973 Peterson  book
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

hemi68charger

Quote from: Wingnut426 on December 18, 2021, 11:49:36 AM
Troy,  I gave you a copy in the pile of info I gave you with the car. Pete

Correct, I did find it.. such a plethora of stuff..

Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

chargervert

You should build a clone of the car in race trim,and display them together!

hemi68charger

Quote from: chargervert on December 18, 2021, 06:28:31 PM
You should build a clone of the car in race trim,and display them together!

That would be cool, a lot of dough.......  I got a request last night to bring it to MCACN next year...  So, that'll be cool.... have to make it.. MCACN was always a bucket list show to attend, but to bring my car there too for display would be the bomb...
Troy

Redbird

Troy, you have a beautiful car.

Lindsley's Plymouth was a seminal car for me. In a major way it shaped how I viewed cars for about 25 years. Much as it pains me to say it, I believe LeVan Prothero's '67 Camaro was a better race car. The Bonneville record books back this up.

In America when you buy and own something, and especially if you have a title to something, you get to do with it as you wish. At the time Pete bought this car from Jim, Pete decided to restore it to showroom condition. That is where the smart money was and is and I respect that. A number of times Sports Car Market Magazine has covered selling a showroom car converted into a race car, not a pretty sight.   Reference Big Willies Daytona #3. People said restore it to how Big Willie had it. Whoever restored it took a bath. Likely the only street Wing car converted to a race car that is worth more than the original showroom car is the Jack Werst/Tosten & Jennings SS car. It was not a great race car but the factory did it. It is also a complete time capsule.

Among things that I believe that made Lindsley's Plymouth great were the innovations that the Lindsleys put into the car. They fabricated things. It had a Pontiac rear end in a Plymouth. I remember Larry talking about how he ground something off the engine block to get a starter to fit on the KB.  Their time and care was in the car and they had goals with it. Jim and Larry did it together. It was unique. They did it in the day. They knew everyone that started aftermarket performance parts companies in Southern California and they were wonderful people.  One afternoon Jim told me how to set up a clutch for Bonneville and he told me who I should call when I got home. This was after I came out to Bonneville with a drag clutch set-up that did not work very well. Theirs was a street car off the showroom floor modified into something extraordinary for Wing car followers. I admired them then and I still admire them today. They were my friends. Dick Bown's Superbird stock car comes to mind as a similar effort.

For me, the history of Lindsley's Plymouth has been erased on the chassis. I do not think that is bad economically. The car has been restored as perfectly as possible to reflect how it looked on the showroom floor in 1970. It is a fine example of that.  I suppose one could display it with fetish objects and paperwork that show pieces that the Lindsleys fabricated. But once upon a time their butts were in a single bucket seat when they had their right foot to the floor with the car aimed towards Floating Mountain at Bonneville. The car as the Lindsleys had it was Lindsley's Plymouth. How does one display the chassis today without being stolen valor? I think this is a big question given the showroom restoration. It is much easier to display it as simply a showroom restoration.  It is most certainly not the irreplaceable race car it once was.

By the way in the second picture group in this thread, that is a 23 year old sunburned me in 1981 beside the passenger door of their race car. Jim's back is to us as he is next to some vehicle..  

hemi68charger

Quote from: Redbird on December 19, 2021, 11:32:58 AM
Troy, you have a beautiful car.

By the way in the second picture group in this thread, that is a 23 year old sunburned me in 1981 beside the passenger door of their race car. Jim's back is to us as he is next to some vehicle..  

Hey Redbird (tried to find your name and address you as such ;-) )

I don't think I'll have the financial means at this time to do that even if I wanted to. I was thinking of getting those soft magnets that are made for commercial signs people put on their doors and make some to be the "16", "Lindsleys", etc to make the car look similar to it's 1st racing paint scheme (I'm assuming the #16 was the 1st since the car is still white)... It would be cool to do that. I doubt I'll be putting roll bars in it..... I do have the original lower driver's side dash section below the instrument cluster. The part that Pete gave me definitely shows the indention of the roll bar there pressing against the part. You can clearly see the bar pressing against the dash in the one picture with Patti sitting in the car... But for now, I'm going to keep up the good work Pete did, get the original distributor back in it and have fun with it... 
Troy

hemi68charger

Operation Hemi-Bird is home and tucked next to her older brother.. what a cool journey thus far.
Troy

hemi68charger

Troy

triple_green

68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

Sgt Superbird

birdsandbees

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

chargervert

After reading Redbirds recollections of the car back when it was raced,I think once you get caught up and get bored looking for a project to do Troy,you can grab a 70 Plymouth roller and start replicating a clone of the car in race trim,using the pictures to replicate the unique pieces that were used and fabricated on the car. Your attention to detail will surely help you produce an accurate replica of the car. That should keep you busy once you retire Troy!

Redbird

I believe the value of the car will be determined by the facts that it is a Wing car with an R in the serial #. I don't think it is worth a penny more or less than a similar car. It is simply an investment car.

For me, I do not believe it would add any value to replace the roll cage with a new reproduction and replacing anything on it was not what I was suggesting. All the important real parts that made it special are gone from it. I believe it used to be special and unique and I think that is gone forever.

I'll modify a sentence I said above. It is most certainly not and will never be the irreplaceable race car it once was.

Making a clone of what it used to be seems to me to be a really bad idea. Better to work on something that is your own.  :Twocents:

As it sits it seems to be a nice good car.

Galen

hemi-hampton

What's that at the Top of your Garage Walls, Do you Collect Beer Cans? LEON.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Redbird on December 19, 2021, 06:58:59 PM

As it sits it seems to be a nice good car.

Galen

Hello Galen..

Thanks for your input.. The experiences and perspectives you have are extremely unique in that you actually were part of the car's history and nothing can replace or duplicate that. The memories in your head are one-of-kind...

As you eluded to, the components that made the car's history are gone; i.e the roll bars, the fire-extinguisher, wheels, parachute, huge hood scoop, etc... So, we save what we have and know that, the history is inescapable and THIS IS the car that did it. Adding to that is the parts car Superbird that was used to put it back together (some seem to think it might be the 179800 car?)

Right now, trying to find as many documents and/or pictures as possible to document and plan, just have fun with the search. I was contacted by Gary Lindsley a few days ago on Facebook and trying to connect with him. I think he is Larry's son? Would love to get more pictures and such about the car.

Cheers,

Quote from: hemi-hampton on December 19, 2021, 11:49:55 PM
What's that at the Top of your Garage Walls, Do you Collect Beer Cans? LEON.

Yeap.. Probably my oldest hobby.. Started collecting them as a young teenager roaming through the woods of West Palm Beach and came upon an old Schlitz aluminum flattop can. Later on found another cool can on the side of the road.. I figured, "cool, a free hobby, I just find them on the side of the road". Obviously, that's not always the case. Some I find on the road still, buy/drink and now have gone international because of my European travels with the military and my civilian employer...... I love all the different designs...
Troy

aerolith

Yep the 'cat got the cream' this time Troy!

It brings a tear to my eye also, all those wonderful memories... :patriot: :notworthy: :drive:

Them 70's scoops were REAL fugly lol... :2thumbs: :smilielol: :slap: (totally UN-AERO)... :scratchchin: :o ::)
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

aerolith

Someone should deffo build a clone of the 'record-holder' and 'do it again' lol...

I know driving a Superbird to the 'gas station' is coolio, but driving 200+ MPH at Bonneville. :coolgleamA: :coolgleamA: :coolgleamA:

Now we are TALKING!!! :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

I think Don has got the 'Scoopy' right on his car... :scratchchin:

572ci KB-Hemi, would probably get you there??? :woohoo:
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

hemi68charger

Here is the Salt Flat partner in crime; still in Racing configuration.
Troy

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

hemi-hampton

I think I may of asked you that Beer Can Question a few Years ago? I may have some old Texas Pearl & Lone Star Flat Tops from the 1950's if your Interested? Let me know.