News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

NPT Fitting for Power Steering to Hydroboost

Started by Calif240, December 21, 2021, 04:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Calif240

Hey guys... do any of you guys have trouble with Aluminum NPT fittings actually threading cleanly? I am upgrading my brakes to the Hydratech Hydroboost, and all is going fairly well... except, after I pulled the power steering hose from pump to steering box, I can't get an NPT to 6AN fitting to actually thread onto the power steering pump. The old power steering hose threads back fairly easily and is 3/8-18 NPT, best I can tell. However, I've tried summit racing and Russell Brand 3/8NPT to 6AN fittings for the hydroboost lines and I can't get any of them to thread... Anything I should know or something I might be just simply missing?

Will try to post Hydratech review after I get everything hooked up and working.

Thanks in advance!

Terry
Indianapolis '69 Charger. RestoMod.

Calif240

Nevermind... I'm a moron. It measured almost perfect to 3/8 NPT, and I didn't even think that 5/8-18 inverted flare and 3/8-18 NPT are almost identical, due to threads per inch and overall thread width of the male end.

It is 5/8-18, and I was able to get a fitting to work, once I figured out that I was a moron.

Thanks...

:brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:
Indianapolis '69 Charger. RestoMod.

6PakBee

You are not a moron.  Hydraulic fittings, regardless of application, are always a PITA.  There are a multitude of styles that all look similar and sometimes it takes more than one try to get it right.  Example, I went from steel lines to hoses on the power steering system for my Massey Ferguson tractor.  It took me three tries to get the correct adapters to connect the hoses to the pump.  You are not a moron.